• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SartorialTaste

Reaction score
No, those are perfectly fine for casual button down shirts, got plenty of striped shirts in all stripe widths as button downs. Plenty of people wear BD shirts with ties as well. You are absolutely fine mate.
Mate thanks a lot for saying that haha. I was a bit worried that I just wasted my money lol. The red one kinda reminds me of waldo or Ronald McDonald though, I don't want to be wearing the shirt and people be like joking about it lol. Or maybe I am just overthinking?

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The red one kinda reminds me of waldo or Ronald McDonald though, I don't want to be wearing the shirt and people be like joking about it lol.

Not an issue. Don't be like the fellow who refuses to wear a navy blazer, out of fear that he'll be mistaken for a shopping mall security guard.

Assuming you're wearing a nice pair of trousers and appropriate shoes (so we're not even touching upon the possibility of a tie or jacket), nobody will be joking about your appearance. Just put it out of your mind, okay?

Last edited:

SartorialTaste

Reaction score
Not an issue. Don't be like the fellow who refuses to wear a navy blazer, out of fear that he'll be mistaken for a shopping mall security guard.

Assuming you're wearing a nice pair of trousers and appropriate shoes (so we're not even touching upon the possibility of a tie or jacket), nobody will be joking about your appearance. Just put it out of your mind, okay?
Haha ok 12345Michael54321. That helps. I'll definitely be rocking those shirts either with odd trousers or with an odd jacket + nice bluchers/ ankle boots/ loafers/ or maybe a wingtip bal (when worn with jacket+woolen slacks). Thanks for the reply man. SF rocks!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

Holmes321

Reaction score
Recently got a money off voucher at Charles Tyrwhitt and decided I'd give their casual shirts a go since they've altered the sizing slightly and the Extra Slim fit is a bit slimmer than the TM Lewin (which I'd usually buy).

Bought a nice white Oxford to check the fit, and I'm considering buying a few more for summer, but I'd like your opinion on which of these you think fits better (the images are stills taken from videos I took of myself - so they're a little blurry).

My first impression on putting the CT on is that it's a little longer than what I'd usually wear (an inch or so in the front more, and 1.5-2 inches in the back I think it is). I don't know if it looks too long to wear untucked. However, it has the benefit of having enough length that should I wish to stick on some chinos and tuck it in it will hold nicely. Usually I'll be wearing with navy jeans (as pictured) or black jeans and un-tucked (sorry not sorry).

Also, the CT shirt (being new) hasn't been washed or ironed yet, but shouldn't affect fit(?).

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stgrim

Reaction score
Dear Sirs,

I would appreciate it very much if you could assist to ID the maker for these pair of Neiman Marcus Suede Captoe Boots.

I have a hunch it is from Alfred Sargent but could be Loake as well.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

insurin

Reaction score
How do gents and ladies.

I have entered the world of shoes which is probably to my detriment. I have never had a decent pair of shoes before and now I think I have, well for my first pair anyway. I was hoping you could give me some pointers on shoe maintenance. I'll pose some questions below and hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

I have some new Loake Aldwych in black and some new Pediwear Pickworth in burnished chestnut calf. I also have some black leather cream and some black leather wax and also some neutral cream and neutral wax.

For the Loake Aldwych

I am unsure on what colours to use. Do I apply the black cream let it dry and then apply the black wax or do I need to apply a neutral cream and a neutral wax or is it a neutral cream and then a black wax?

For the Pediwear

Is it just a case of neutral cream and then neutral wax?

The Soles

Do I apply anything to the sole, i.e. do I apply a neutral cream to the soles.

Thanks

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes this Peal & Co Jodhpur boot? I did a forum search but found conflicting information. It looks just like the Crockett & Jones Cottesmore, except for the color of the leather.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...var_MH00363_Color=LTBR&contentpos=1&cgid=0522

I'm pretty sure those are Alfred Sargent. C&J uses a different style "Peal & Co" font like this one:

I'd have to see the printing inside to be sure though.

Alfred Sargent last 87.

stonesoren

Reaction score
Hello gents.

I'm trying suits to buy for my brothers wedding.
At 6'6'' it can be quite difficult to find suits long enough that are still fitted enough to suit me.
I have 2 options and would like your thoughts:

I like the color of the darker one a lot.
But the lighter colored one has a little longer jacket and I think that suits me better.
Both will have the sleeves extended a bit, and the pants on the lighter one I want a little more tapered.
So what are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents.

I'm trying suits to buy for my brothers wedding.
At 6'6'' it can be quite difficult to find suits long enough that are still fitted enough to suit me.
I have 2 options and would like your thoughts:

I like the color of the darker one a lot.
But the lighter colored one has a little longer jacket and I think that suits me better.
Both will have the sleeves extended a bit, and the pants on the lighter one I want a little more tapered.
So what are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

rjonea

Reaction score

I have seen some Florshiem Imperials and Allen Edmonds with this little "tag" on the inside of the shoe and I have seen others without it. What is the difference between shoes with it and without?

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
I was asked recently what is the minimum number of shoes to be a well dressed man on all ocassions. Thoughts? I have 24 pairs because that is what the built in shelves in my closet will hold. When I go over 24, I give one away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads