• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

BlackTalon

Reaction score
I'm a fan of big carry-on bags and rarely check luggage on domestic flights. If you're a frequent flyer, though, soft, leather hand-helds are problematic for a number of reasons. They're obviously a ***** to carry, tend to get beaten up in overhead compartments and tend to attract pick-pockets (esp. in Europe). Personal anecdotes available with regard to all three concerns. Since I am not Kanye West, I now roll with much more moderately priced wheeled luggage, though I know BC offers more baller iterations.

If you check luggage regularly anyways, I'd recommend a smaller carry-on.

BC leathergoods age well, so no problem there.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, I often have to check luggage, as I fly international (living in Singapore, not much of a choice there). I usually stuff my carry on under the seat, or use it as a leg rest. The bag has no external pockets, and is actually quite fiddly to open with the belt and latch system, so less worry about pick pockets but there is always the concern someone will walk off the my entire bag.

I have a Tumi carry-on-sized hard case that came with my credit card application, but I desire something leather, with more character to it. But I guess you are right with regards to the size - a smaller bag would be ideal.

HaroldShand

Reaction score
@ Plainnerd

Can someone recommend me a medallion toe wholecut or similar sleek medallion toe shoe for 300 or under? Something similar to thie G&G Hayes or Grant or the Herring Scott.

Charles Tyrwhitt Arthur calf wholecut in black and brown @ £229

Last edited:

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in picking up a pair of velvet slippers however I have wide feet. I'm concerned velvet slippers won't stretch as much as a standard pair of leather dress shoes. Is there a brand that is known to run a little wider? I'm looking at Stubbs, Del Toro, etc. Any brand recommendation or tips would be helpful.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends on how short it is in comparison to coats of a traditional length. The max the length can be is such that the fastening button is roughly halfway between the gorge and the bottom of the coat. I wear a lot of hickey freeman mainline and if you look at their classically styled stuff, the button stance is usually a bit lower than the halfway distance from gorge to coat bottom. Look at these two and you'll see what I mean. Pocket placement is key as well. Don't go longer than the proportions illustrated in the pictures.
[ATTACHMENT=8477]Buttonstance.png (618k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDY2/z/~04AAOSwuMFUa7k8/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

In numerical terms? 1-2"

Hopefully someone answers mine :3

Thank you.

upcoming

Reaction score
Just tried on this jacket. How would you say this fits me? All your advice will be very much appreciated!

plainnerd

Reaction score
@ Plainnerd

Can someone recommend me a medallion toe wholecut or similar sleek medallion toe shoe for 300 or under? Something similar to thie G&G Hayes or Grant or the Herring Scott.

Charles Tyrwhitt Arthur calf wholecut in black and brown @ £229
Thanks, should have specified 300 USD or under though, those are closer to $400.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just tried on this jacket. How would you say this fits me? All your advice will be very much appreciated!

That picture isn't helpful at all.

cphil19

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hoping this is the appropriate thread to put in a pretty general question.

Looking to get a corduroy sports jacket, good for both casual business and date nights, preferably with jeans (so versatile).

I'm a fair skin guy, blonde hair blue eyes, would you say I should go for Black, Brown, or Camel?

Thanks!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hoping this is the appropriate thread to put in a pretty general question.

Looking to get a corduroy sports jacket, good for both casual business and date nights, preferably with jeans (so versatile).

I'm a fair skin guy, blonde hair blue eyes, would you say I should go for Black, Brown, or Camel?

Thanks!

I'd go for brown or olive green.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope this picture is better!

Length and shoulders look okay. Chest looks okay too. Pic isn't all that great, but fit looks reasonable from the little I can see. I.e. nothing glaringly awful. There's some pinching on the button though. Is it tight in the chest?

cphil19

Reaction score
If you're light hair on light skin, tan is going to kind of wash you out.

Thanks, I'll do dark brown then.

I always thought the lighter you are, lighter shades on the jacket look more natural and darker (like black) tend to be too contrasting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads