• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually try to stay away from nylon, polyester, polyamide. That is why I asked.

That blend should be fine, the nylon is there to add durability. Not at all uncommon for heavy jacket fabrics. Shouldn't affect the feel much.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume if I wear suede shoes my belt should also be suede. Is that correct?

Same shade suede too. However, I think it's one rule people take a little too seriously. Same colour, regardless of leather, should suffice.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of belt would you pair with these To Boot NY chukka boots? I haven't seen a color quite like this, not even sure what you would call it. I mainly wear them with premium dark denim or dress slacks at work.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of belt would you pair with these To Boot NY chukka boots? I haven't seen a color quite like this, not even sure what you would call it. I mainly wear them with premium dark denim or dress slacks at work.

Casual leather belt in a similar shade of brown. Can't see these boots with slacks though.

yourcctailor

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
now i am going to change my socks

area3400

Reaction score
I want to buy another pair of plain toe bluchers. I like my AE Kenilworths but want something a little sturdier for the walk from the parking garage to work in light rain and day to day muck, etc. I found some AE black hills on the shoe bank. They are pretty affordable compared to shell and being waxy leather they seem like they will be harder to harm than the calf on my Kenilworths.

The question what is a decent looking shoe that will give the look of a nice PTB but that will stand up to the elements? I have already have footwear for truly bad weather, just need something for days that don't warrant full on duck boots, etc.

BigYeech

Reaction score
I'm looking for a easy to put on boot, kind of like the Allen Edmonds Gobi or the Loake Pimlico, but I want a sleeker toe that looks more like a dress Oxford. Should I be looking at Chelsea boots? I'd like to be able to wear them with denim, but also go into the business casual range. My budget is $500. Thanks.

Last edited:

staxringold

Reaction score
Any advice on how J Press outerwear fits?

http://www.jpressonline.com/marine-navy-peacoat/

Thinking of buying this, strongly likely gonna do the 46... Just want to make sure they still keep with their reputation of not being overly slim.

EDIT - For what it's worth: I went into the store itself today, since I was in New Haven for work anyways. Ultimately went with the 48L. While they do have a rep for fitting larger generally, the coat is slightly slim cut and, more importantly, it's a coat so it's got a thick lining and you might be wearing things underneath.

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I have these boots and the crepe sole is beginning to wear down; I want to replace it with a double leather sole or a vibram sole. Which one do you guys think is better? I wear these boots year-round.

On a side-note: I know that the boots are supposedly stitched, but is it actually constructed in such a way that would allow for the soles to be replaced? I've called J Crew CS 3x about it, but they can't give a definitive "yes/no" answer.

trogdor

Reaction score
Is there a thread or set of posts somewhere with guidelines on how a hat should fit? Like, how tight it should be, how far above your ears it should sit, how much space between the top of your head and the hat, etc.

I used to be confident that I knew these things by a kind of a priori intellectual intuition, but I just re-read Wodehouse's short story "The Amazing Hat Mystery" and now I'm questioning my own judgment!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads