• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kira

Reaction score
For example, I recently purchased these three:

Which colors would work with the first two above?

badgalgigi

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'd like to get some opinions from some of the style savvy members on this forum! Recently I ordered a pair of Acne slip-on sneakers (photos from store attached). The style is pretty much the simple and classic slip-on look. But the color is quite energetic, which is what attracted me to them in the first place. They were on sale for $234, but I still feel a bit uneasy spending that much on a pair of shoes that I'll just be wearing everyday. I know bright colors are very "in" right now in fashion, but I'm unsure if they will look gaudy in a couple years or even less. So my question is: will these go out of style in a couple of years due to the bright color? Or will they still be a "classic" in later years so as to justify the price? What do you guys think?

If it matters, I tend to stick to black or grey with my clothes and more streamlined silhouettes--I'm only 22 and have a tall, fit build. I'd mainly wear these with jeans or dark chinos. Maybe semi-formal occasions.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Kira , PM me where you're finding these. I've been looking for stuff along those lines for a long time!

JRR229

Reaction score
BADGALGIGI: i like the shoes! and i like acne's jackets and trousers and other stuff a lot as well. but i don't see acne putting those shoes with their OWN suits http://www.acnestudios.com/shop/men/suit-jackets.html

and while i like the suit in the picture you've provided, i don't actually get a thrill from a pairing with those shoes. in fact the shoes acne pairs are pretty conservative, allowing for vibrant and edgy stuff to happen with the fabrics in the trousers and jackets and shirts etc.

if i were you i'd look at what people wear with the colorful gucci loafers and driving shoes (gucci don't go outta style, right? (i don't know the answer) http://www.gucci.com/us/category/m/men_s_shoes/drivers#look71027lookA113 and use those cues about how to pair them. or just look at what people wear with colorful shoes. as i google i DON'T see shoes like these with a lot of monochrome or black outfits (but i'm a lazy googler), but instead i see them as part of a colorful ensemble....or worn with white, khaki and the like https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...=what+to+wear+with+bright+mens+shoes&tbm=isch

i actually think the shoes go great with things OTHER than the black suit (sorry).

will they date? sure, but you might just need to pair them differently in a few years. everything dates. that's fashion, unfortunately :)

i only speak as a google jockey, okay? not one who knows anything about fashion, so feel free to ignore.

Last edited:

deadAngle

Reaction score
For example, I recently purchased these three:

Which colors would work with the first two above?

White or cream flannels would be the most obvious choice for boating blazers like those, although you could probably get away with light grey. I love the red one (perfect lapel, pocket flap length, and button stance), but the grey stripes one seems like it would be harder to wear successfully. Any chance you could post detail shots of the red one? Canvassed or fused?

Kira

Reaction score
White or cream flannels would be the most obvious choice for boating blazers like those, although you could probably get away with light grey. I love the red one (perfect lapel, pocket flap length, and button stance), but the grey stripes one seems like it would be harder to wear successfully. Any chance you could post detail shots of the red one? Canvassed or fused?

Hmm.. Thanks. I figured that it would be the neutral colors.

Thanks for the compliment.

About the grey striped blazer, what about any color that is included on the stripes? I imagine that grey, beige or red would seem to be fine.

I can post more pictures:

bizzblar

Reaction score
badgalgigi, you should return those sneakers/shoes -- they are just bizarre looking. get a good pair of casual sneakers like onitsuka tigers for your casual occasions, and real dress shoes for your formal occasions. maybe rock some allen edmonds or loakes sockless if you want to be on trend (and spend <300). because for sure, those things are not.

Kira

Reaction score
Very nice ... I really like the colors.

Thank you very much.

These are the final DBs that I have worth showing. I'll be ordering more and more when the good ones pop up.

I know, it's pretty wrinkled, but I got it dry cleaned.

This DB is the exclusive and hard to find "Tautz" lapel. Unfortunately, it has no vents. However, I'm getting it altered with double vents soon.

Here's a picture George Lazenby in 007's On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969). Note the similarity between the two jackets. This was the only film Lazenby played as Bond:

Kira

Reaction score
I was about to impulsively purchase this jacket. But the seller was too lazy to give me the measurements of the jacket! I never seen anything like it before..

IDK why the seller hung the jacket up with a plastic hanger... He/She was asking $200..

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Kira, instead of buying random jackets and then coming online to ask strangers what you can wear them with, why not buy jackets that you know fit with a style you're aiming to accomplish?

Kira

Reaction score
Kira, instead of buying random jackets and then coming online to ask strangers what you can wear them with, why not buy jackets that you know fit with a style you're aiming to accomplish?

Unfortunately, I don't have enough cash to purchase jackets that I absolutely know that fit me (i.e. bespoke). The amount of money I've spent of those jackets above was less than $500. That's the not even the price of one jacket by a decent designer!

I've already got my measurements; and have altered these jackets personally. Also, it's exciting finding these gems (subjective) online and discovering what's out there. There are thousands if not tens of thousands of DBs located in areas where people presume as "lowly" (i.e. Goodwill stores, Church garage sales, estate sales, warehouse sales. etc.). Where I live (in a moderately populated area), I'm literally one of very few people who dresses up.. And I don't even wear nor have a suit! I tell people that wearing an odd jacket w/ odd trousers is more on the "casual" side of dress (but higher than street wear). But when I go to business school, I believe I will have enough cash to purchase several suits (unfortunately SBs as well) in the future. It is something that I really cannot wait for.

Now, I'm starting to dislike the SB suit. I just don't find it as elegant as the DB. With this, I'm going to stop buying SB blazers look for ones that I already mentioned above. By the way, I saw another boating jacket!

I haven't purchased this jacket because I'm not a fan of the baby crap green. It's still for sale on the auction site. It ends in more than 10 hours. Here's a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380918042481?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads