• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Sadly, I don't have a mid grey vest and the trousers on my navy suit are at the tailors till next week.

I'll try out the ensemble tonight and see how it looks. The event is black tie optional, but I think a black bow tie would look rather out of place with the fit and will either wear a patterned black bow tie or a red paisley bow tie.

I'm excited!

If it's black tie optional, wear a plain dark suit, white shirt, shiny silk long tie, and black shoes. I wouldn't wear a bowtie for black tie optional -- it would look like you were trying to fit in with the people in tuxes when you aren't.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so messing around with pairing my favourite navy blazer (it's actually somewhere between a blazer and a sport coat - it has shoulder pleats, a little pocket on the back, I got it cut a little longer in the sleeve and it will button closed at the top for cycling... all important to me since I pretty much cycle everywhere) and pairing it with jeans and a tie. I've worn it out with jeans before and received several compliments, but never with a tie.
This is a mistake. It makes it outerwear instead of tailoring. Wear longer gloves if you don't want to show shirt cuff while cycling, or throw a parka on over your jacket. It looks bad when you're not on the bike.

Coat with jeans is okay. Tie with jeans is trying too hard, and a bit incongruous. Never, ever do the "my tie is loose and my top button is unbuttoned thing." It's unbelievably affected to go out of the house like that. Loosening your tie and undoing a top button if you have to do something a bit physical and don't want to break a sweat is A-OK.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's black tie optional, wear a plain dark suit, white shirt, shiny silk long tie, and black shoes. I wouldn't wear a bowtie for black tie optional -- it would look like you were trying to fit in with the people in tuxes when you aren't.

It's a holiday party. I'm guessing that maybe 5% of the men will be wearing tuxes.

Terpo

Reaction score
^looks fine to me, but what do I know...

Anyway, my noob question

I recently got my first spread collar shirt from Kamakura.

I don't usually button my shirt all the way up (I leave 2 or 3 unbuttoned). And this leaves the collar looking funny. I was wondering is there a way to fix this eg Ironing the collar down or getting the tailor to add buttons so that it looks like a OCBD?

Unbutton 2 in Europe, in the US.

Verniza

Reaction score
Hi guys, a friend of mine who works at Dunhill gave me a Dunhill suit from the previous season.

Interestingly, when I checked the tags it was a Caruso tag that was Made in Japan. Does anyone have any information about made in Japan Caruso?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please don't add buttons to that shirt/collar. If you wanted an OBCD, you should have bought one.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a holiday party. I'm guessing that maybe 5% of the men will be wearing tuxes.

Right, but wearing a bowtie with a suit in that context looks like you're trying to fake a tux.

rangen930

Reaction score
Started to post this in the AE appreciation thread but my point is more of a question than a comment so...

I bought a pair Mactavishes about 6 months ago. They were my first AEs and I was pretty excited. They broke-in in a matter of a couple of weeks and at the moment they feel perfect and they look (in my humble) pretty cool. I do wear them a lot. That said, after about 4 months the rubber part of the heel began to peel away and shortly thereafter the rest of the heel came completely off. I sent them to AE. They fixed them quickly and put new heels on and even sent a loyalty card for $35. Amazing right? Well, not even a week later both heels have a noticeable gap and if you press gently on the heel it pulls a little. I promise I am not doing anything weird to my shoes yet I am a little disappointed.

Can anyone recommend a nice wingtip in the 200-300 range that might hold up for me a little better? I like my Mactavishes alot becasue they have a pretty natural toeshape, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated.

froughtie

Reaction score
Is this jacket too big? Particularly in the chest/shoulders.

Wife thinks it's a bit boxy in the shoulders....and maybe a little long. It's a 42L, I'm 6'2 with 34 inseam. I know I will need to let the sleeves out (and possibly bring in the waist)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anything, it's on the shorter side of things, but the length is fine. Definitely looks like there's some padding on the shoulders though.

Last edited:

eviltimeban

Reaction score
Picking up this suit tomorrow from TM Lewin. First time getting a suit there. It looks pretty decent, the key thing is, the price is amazing. Here's the link: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Bogart-Reg...id=Mens-Suit-Offers&prefn1=colour&prefv1=Navy.

And here's it on me (very dark photos apologies):

Now, the question is, I put the jacket on and it seems like it doesn't need any tailoring, which always makes me nervous. Its not boxy or anything, but I feel under the arms / shoulders could come in a bit. The guy in the shop disagreed and said I needed the room to move. But should I go with my instinct?

The thing about these kinds of suits (chalk stripe) is they can be a little bigger than non-stripe suits; gives it that Bertie Wooster look! :)

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is this jacket too big? Particularly in the chest/shoulders. Wife thinks it's a bit boxy in the shoulders....and maybe a little long. It's a 42L, I'm 6'2 with 34 inseam. I know I will need to let the sleeves out (and possibly bring in the waist)
The shoulder width is fine, but it is structured.. Try a soft shoulder model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics