• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It's not just how much,it's the shape, too. Generally it's made to make your shoulders look straight and wide. My shoulders are straight enough, so I find that sometimes there's too much padding at the end and it makes the padding stand up a little. The suits I have made I generally request to have less padding than usual, and flatter. But in answer to your question, yes. Adjusting the width of the shoulders is a complicated job requiring a lot of skill, and generally not worth it for ready-to-wear. But taking out a little padding is very simple, and well worth the small investment if it makes the jacket look more natural on you.

Last edited:

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for a first non-Uniqlo suit. Budget $400-600. Can stretch a bit past that, but not much.

I'm slim built with straight/wide shoulders, so minimal padding is best.

So far, checking out JCrew and Brooks Brothers. Any other brands I should keep in mind?

Last edited:

Terpo

Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for a first non-Uniqlo suit. Budget $400-600. Can stretch a bit past that, but not much.

So far, checking out JCrew and Brooks Brothers. Any other brands I should keep in mind?

SuitSupply.

kloss

Reaction score
make sure to do a spot check to see whether the gloves darken.

you can use lexol conditioner, but do not use lexol cleaner. the glycerine will darken and harden the leather if you apply even slighlty too much. I destroyed a glove using the cleaner. :(
if you want to use a cleaner, use a cleaner-conditioner combo such as saphir reno. and of course, make sure to spot check first. saphir also has leather lotion, and nappa cream for very delicate leathers. afinepairofshoes has good prices on saphir and decent shipping cost for orders under 2.5kg. they currently have a black friday code, BF20 for 20% off. but lexol is cheaper and will probably do the trick in most cases.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suit Suppy. If I had your budget and I would stretch it a bit more and go for Kent Wang.

John P

Reaction score
Are you getting it taken in at the sides, or darted? That does not seem exceptionally high, but it is probably on the high end. But, in the future you can get MtM shirts for $60/ea. Check out the Luxire thread; I don't have any of their shirts, but I'm told they're quite nice. There are other places around that do MtM in that price range.

Hey ImTheGroom - thanks for the reply!

I apologize, but I don't know what "darted" means. The sleeves were taken in, as were the sides of the torso. What's the difference?

Special thanks for the tip regarding Luxire, and MtM generally. It's very helpful to me since my measurements aren't totally typical. 18.5 neck, 38/39 arm. Getting something MtM, especially for only $60, would be useful.

Last edited:

John P

Reaction score
Yes, it's high. Shop around next time.

Funny story about that. This is my shopping around process.

Again, total noob. I purchased shirts at Men's Wearhouse. They were big & billowy - like all off-the-rack shirts are on me. So I brought them in, one-by-one, to my local dry cleaners for alterations. Two shirts came out decent looking, in my opinion.

The third shirt came out with the sleeves too short. So short, in fact, that the best "repair" option was to make it a short-sleeve shirt. They did the work for free and paid for a new shirt (not cash - cleaning credit) at least. However, as you might imagine, I wasn't thrilled.

I was dissatisfied with that cleaner for other reasons, so I went to a new cleaner. First shirt they altered - ugh. When I bend my arms at the elbows the cuffs almost rip off the sleeves. So the second cleaner is worse than the first.

Hoping for something better, I visited StyleForum and searched for Sacramento Tailor. Based on an old thread on this forum, I found the local tailor. I went there and, not knowing any better, spent $28 per shirt to get the sleeves and torso slimmed.

If you have any helpful knowledge, I'll gladly learn.

Thanks!

Terpo

Reaction score
I would either self-clean/iron or find some cleaners that wash without the nasty chemicals and actually hand-iron your stuff as opposed to the inflate and pres method. The latter will be more expensive but with the former it's only a matter of time until your shirt rips apart or the buttons fall off.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny story about that. This is my shopping around process.

Again, total noob. I purchased shirts at Men's Wearhouse. They were big & billowy - like all off-the-rack shirts are on me. So I brought them in, one-by-one, to my local dry cleaners for alterations. Two shirts came out decent looking, in my opinion.

The third shirt came out with the sleeves too short. So short, in fact, that the best "repair" option was to make it a short-sleeve shirt. They did the work for free and paid for a new shirt (not cash - cleaning credit) at least. However, as you might imagine, I wasn't thrilled.

I was dissatisfied with that cleaner for other reasons, so I went to a new cleaner. First shirt they altered - ugh. When I bend my arms at the elbows the cuffs almost rip off the sleeves. So the second cleaner is worse than the first.

Hoping for something better, I visited StyleForum and searched for Sacramento Tailor. Based on an old thread on this forum, I found the local tailor. I went there and, not knowing any better, spent $28 per shirt to get the sleeves and torso slimmed.

If you have any helpful knowledge, I'll gladly learn.

Thanks!

Check yelp. Also, for that cost and headache, you're just better off buying better shirts!

ovlov

Reaction score
Anyone able to comment on the lasts used for George Cleverley shoes? There does not appear to much info on their RTW sizing here and there are quite a few nice shoes on sale at Leather Soul. I have my eye on the Thomas in particular. I don't have much experience in shoe sizes but it seems I am close to a 11 US in standard width in lasts like EG 82 but Carmina Simpson and Allen Edmonds 8 last are both so narrow I have size up or out at least one size.

Can anyone chime in with any experience?

buchoelbrusco

Reaction score
Does anyone know of Levi's jeans 508 are oversized? I just bought a pair from eBay in my size and they are enormous..
Since I use tapered would 511 be a good option or too skinny in thinking on shifting to 511 since they're cheaper and there's more variety than 508 and 520 which I fancy more. Appreciate comments

kloss

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience ordering domestically from the Allen Edmonds website? Do they mark the outside of the box with the invoice/list of contents?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know of Levi's jeans 508 are oversized? I just bought a pair from eBay in my size and they are enormous..
Since I use tapered would 511 be a good option or too skinny in thinking on shifting to 511 since they're cheaper and there's more variety than 508 and 520 which I fancy more. Appreciate comments

You might be better off asking in the Steetwear and Denim forum. This is Classic Menswear.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody have experience ordering domestically from the Allen Edmonds website? Do they mark the outside of the box with the invoice/list of contents?

I've ordered from AE. The invoice was on a piece of paper, inside the box.

Wouldn't it be pretty odd to have the list of contents printed on the outside of the box?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads