• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

GloryField

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions, sorry I was a little too vague.

I am a student interning at a hospital setting, where we'll have a white coat on, it would be very out of place for us to wear a suit jacket, and dress shirt + tie with chinos are required unfortunately.

I own a pair of charcoal gray 3 button and a lighter gray 2 button suits, but it's rare for me to wear them. If I do pick up another pair then navy would definitely be the next set. This picture of the 3 button charcoal gray suit is around 4 years ago and I don't wear that tie or such a dark shade of lavender shirt anymore, but the suit fits approximately the same, I gained slightly more muscles in the chest/shoulders/neck since then:
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/2533/img0264fc.jpg

For dress shirts, I have solid white, solid light blue, solid light lavender, solid light pink, light blue with white stripes, and light lavender with white stripes (from above).

For shoes, I own a pair of cap-toes that are very similar to the AE Park Aves, but with open lacing so it's casual enough to wear without a suit. The quality is nice and I take good care of it, so it's lasted me several years with light use. For casual going to school/class, I have:
brown suede slipon loafers, look very similar to these:
http://www.skechers.com/style/63972/florio-devin/brn

dark brown suede chukkas/desert boots
http://www.skechers.com/style/68012/taswell/dkbr

brown leather tassel loafers:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/neil-m-scot-tassel-shoes-loafers-leather-for-men~p~3261v

and just got these:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dunham-aft-2-eye-shoes-leather-for-men~p~5244c/

Where are you interning?  If it's anywhere more formal than a deli, I'd suggest the following:

- Normal business dress is still a suit, unless otherwise instructed.  Also, wearing a tie without a jacket is a major Styleforum sin.

- Your tie is loud and rather slim; that's fashionable and you're young so it's fine.  But it will need a sober companion.

- Such as a navy blue suit.  This is the default, the suit that's never wrong.  Single breasted, two button, solid dark navy.  And the suit that this shirt and tie will look best with, too.  "Maroon" trousers are perfectly nice, but not office wear.

- Your shirt is fine.  It's not a matter of how much you spend, and later you will get better ones and you become more established.  It's clean, neutral and looks like a shirt for work.  When you get more, mix up the white with some light blue: it's actually more versatile: white can look a little stark with grey or charcoal suits, whereas light blue is stunning with either, and also with navy.  

- You don't need to get an expensive suit.  But you do need to have, at least, two cheap ones.  Don't worry about the label, just make sure it fits well (but not too tight), and is preferably all wool.  A wool/polyester mix will not look much different to most people, and might be OK, if a little warm.

- If you only take one piece of advice from this thread, it's this last point: wear decent shoes.  Clean, polished, and well-made (welted) - regardless of price or label.  They are the single most fundamental item in making you look well-dressed.  

- Oh, and don't put **** in your hair.  Just comb it.  I don't know if that's your habit, I'm just saying. 

Good luck with the internship!

P.S. Regarding accessibly-priced proper shoes, read these previous posts:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...t-all-quick-questions-here/22605#post_6451546

http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...t-all-quick-questions-here/22635#post_6453044

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
In what city? In what industry? If you're in banking, yes. If you're in Manhattan, perhaps. But in most places in the US I'd venture that you're more likely to be wrong than right with this statement (i.e., <50% of businesses have suits as the normal attire). Can't speak to other parts of the world.

You can take your jacket and tie off if you really feel overdressed. If you're not sure, a suit is never wrong. But as I said, "unless otherwise instructed". And this is the Classic Menswear forum - what kind of business dress recommendation would you expect? Where I live, perhaps one man in a hundred wears a suit. Being that man is good. Classic Menswear is good.

If I want to wear a navy sport coat with a pair of (on the light side) grey pants, what else should I wear? Shirt tie shoe belt colors/patterns.
Look at the "What Are You Wearing Right Now" thread on this side of the forum for examples. There are too many to mention but you will find plenty of combinations there based around this sort of combination. You will also find comments and criticism of them aplenty to inform your decision!

Thank you for the suggestions, sorry I was a little too vague.

I am a student interning at a hospital setting, where we'll have a white coat on, it would be very out of place for us to wear a suit jacket, and dress shirt + tie with chinos are required unfortunately.

I own a pair of charcoal gray 3 button and a lighter gray 2 button suits, but it's rare for me to wear them. If I do pick up another pair then navy would definitely be the next set. This picture of the 3 button charcoal gray suit is around 4 years ago and I don't wear that tie or such a dark shade of lavender shirt anymore, but the suit fits approximately the same, I gained slightly more muscles in the chest/shoulders/neck since then:
http://imageshack.us/a/img40/2533/img0264fc.jpg

For dress shirts, I have solid white, solid light blue, solid light lavender, solid light pink, light blue with white stripes, and light lavender with white stripes (from above).

For shoes, I own a pair of cap-toes that are very similar to the AE Park Aves, but with open lacing so it's casual enough to wear without a suit. The quality is nice and I take good care of it, so it's lasted me several years with light use. For casual going to school/class, I have:
brown suede slipon loafers, look very similar to these:
http://www.skechers.com/style/63972/florio-devin/brn

dark brown suede chukkas/desert boots
http://www.skechers.com/style/68012/taswell/dkbr

brown leather tassel loafers:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/neil-m-scot-tassel-shoes-loafers-leather-for-men~p~3261v

and just got these:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dunham-aft-2-eye-shoes-leather-for-men~p~5244c/

Thanks for the clarification - makes perfect sense. From your original post I couldn't tell your age or wardrobe so defaulted to 1.1. Well, your shoes are fine, your shirts are fine, and with a white coat, frankly any trousers that keep the wind off your balls are probably acceptable. But I would personally still go with business-y greys, blues etc to look extra professional. When you're working long shifts and mishaps are possible, they also don't show small stains etc as quickly! Nothing wrong with chinos or similar if that's your thing either, but again, I suspect you might want a practical colour. In the mean time, I don't think anyone will shoot you for the ones you're wearing.

As for shoes, nothing at all wrong with a cap toe derby for your purposes, although "similar to" does not make me feel confident! Also, there's no rule saying you can't wear an oxford unless you wear a suit, and quality counts. The actual Park Aves are not beyond you, and there are many alternatives too! I wouldn't wear suede or tassel loafers, boat shoes or chukkas to work. My advice above on shoes stands - stop buying glued together crap and invest in two pairs of welted shoes - I'd suggest a black oxford and a tan derby as your first two buys, to be the basis of the rest of your life!

That only leaves the tie. Yours is OK, but as it's the only formal part of your attire when you slip your coat on, and certainly the one most visible, I'd go another way: you want to come across as mature, confident and together. I think I'd lean towards something a little more conservative. As you have a white shirt and white coat (and no possibility of a pocket square), black/white/grey should probably be off your list: try variations on navy (especially with these trousers), dark burgundy (not with these trousers), burnt orange or brown, or a deep olive green. Small patterns or solids with some texture are most classy in my opinion.

GloryField

Reaction score
Thanks again for the suggestions. I'd love to get AE's when I actually start working, but I think I'll have to stick with what I have right now and regularly clean/polish them using the AE cleaner and wax. I can't exactly drop $200 for a pair of shoes when my rent is $450 a month. The shoes I have are not welted, but I've had them for a long time and don't plan on wearing them past next summer. I have the same pair of cap toes in black as well.

For pants, I also have navy chinos and medium gray (a lot darker than the picture appears) trousers which see much more frequent use than the burgandy pair I posted. I wear the beige and the black pair much less.

I guess my original post was mainly looking for suggestions on shirt/tie combinations, and casual wear combinations that would go well with the burgandy chinos. It has turned a little more into my wardrobe, which I don't mind and do appreciate, since I haven't added any items in the last year other than the burgandy chinos and the navy chinos from Express.

Here are my ties and shirts, which I only wear in the hospital 3 days of the week. The rest of the time I have college/grad school classes and just wear plain solid colored v neck tees or more casual shirts with Levi 514's.

Watch:

For weekend events I may wear the burgandy or navy chinos with a tee or a shirt, and agray/bronze colored denim jacket, I'll take a picture shortly.

Thanks!

You can take your jacket and tie off if you really feel overdressed.  If you're not sure, a suit is never wrong.  But as I said, "unless otherwise instructed".  And this is the Classic Menswear forum - what kind of business dress recommendation would you expect?  Where I live, perhaps one man in a hundred wears a suit.  Being that man is good.  Classic Menswear is good.

Look at the "What Are You Wearing Right Now" thread on this side of the forum for examples.  There are too many to mention but you will find plenty of combinations there based around this sort of combination.  You will also find comments and criticism of them aplenty to inform your decision!  

Thanks for the clarification - makes perfect sense.  From your original post I couldn't tell your age or wardrobe so defaulted to 1.1.  Well, your shoes are fine, your shirts are fine, and with a white coat, frankly any trousers that keep the wind off your balls are probably acceptable.  But I would personally still go with business-y greys, blues etc to look extra professional.  When you're working long shifts and mishaps are possible, they also don't show small stains etc as quickly!  Nothing wrong with chinos or similar if that's your thing either, but again, I suspect you might want a practical colour.  In the mean time, I don't think anyone will shoot you for the ones you're wearing.

As for shoes, nothing at all wrong with a cap toe derby for your purposes, although "similar to" does not make me feel confident!  Also, there's no rule saying you can't wear an oxford unless you wear a suit, and quality counts.  The actual Park Aves are not beyond you, and there are many alternatives too!  I wouldn't wear suede or tassel loafers, boat shoes or chukkas to work.  My advice above on shoes stands - stop buying glued together crap and invest in two pairs of welted shoes - I'd suggest a black oxford and a tan derby as your first two buys, to be the basis of the rest of your life!

That only leaves the tie.  Yours is OK, but as it's the only formal part of your attire when you slip your coat on, and certainly the one most visible, I'd go another way: you want to come across as mature, confident and together.  I think I'd lean towards something a little more conservative.  As you have a white shirt and white coat (and no possibility of a pocket square), black/white/grey should probably be off your list: try variations on navy (especially with these trousers), dark burgundy (not with these trousers), burnt orange or brown, or a deep olive green.  Small patterns or solids with some texture are most classy in my opinion.
Hey

GloryField

Reaction score
So, for somewhat casual things like a weekend brunch or coffee, or maybe even a casual dinner, I was thinking of wearing the burgandy chinos with a light teal tee and this gray jacket with bronze stitchings. I also have a variety of other colored tees like light blue, light gray, light lavender, to slightly darker shades. I didn't think a shirt would look good with this jacket due to the double collars.

And back to one of my original questions, is the size on the chinos ok or is it considered too tight? I have muscular thighs and calves but a slightly smaller waist or 32".

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, for somewhat casual things like a weekend brunch or coffee, or maybe even a casual dinner, I was thinking of wearing the burgundy chinos with a light teal tee and this gray jacket with bronze stitching. I also have a variety of other colored tees like light blue, light gray, light lavender, to slightly darker shades. I didn't think a shirt would look good with this jacket due to the double collars.

And back to one of my original questions, is the size on the chinos ok or is it considered too tight? I have muscular thighs and calves but a smaller waist.

Chino size is great. By the way that isn't a jacket it is a Shacket (A shirt being worn as a jacket). The colors don't really work together, burgundy chinos are hard to pull off, but I would run with something navy blue perhaps a polo shirt or if it is cooler out a navy blue cotton jacket (a real one).

Something like this

GloryField

Reaction score
I see, it's quite thick/heavy though, and is made of denim. But yea the collar makes it awkward to pair with anything other than tees. Would either of these 2 shirts or the striped short sleeve polo work with it?
Chino size is great. By the way that isn't a jacket it is a Shacket (A shirt being worn as a jacket). The colors don't really work together, burgundy chinos are hard to pull off, but I would run with something navy blue perhaps a polo shirt or if it is cooler out a navy blue cotton jacket (a real one). Something like this

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
GF, your shoes are indeed nasty. But if you read the posts I linked to in my first reply, you'll find some good replacements under $100. Seriously. But, if they were a nicer shape and better made, conceptually there's not really anything to ***** about! Your shirt and tie selection are perfectly respectable too, and indeed admirable for someone just moving from long-term student status to the workplace.

Regarding your weekend stuff, I think you're rather in the wrong place. This is the "Classic Menswear" side. You'll get better advice on that sort of thing in the "Streetwear and Denim" section. Also, I NEVER go there. Which might be a bonus.

P.S. Your trousers are certainly slim. But that's de rigeur, it seems, and nobody can tell your religion just yet, so enjoy. :)

GloryField

Reaction score
Haha, got it. I'm still a student for another year.

So, you think the shoes are passable? I work in a hospital, but most of my time is spent in front of a computer. I occasionally interact with doctors or nurses, but I mostly interact with my colleagues (they aren't students), some of whom wear sneakers for comfort.

And I don't have a religion.

GF, your shoes are indeed nasty.  But if you read the posts I linked to in my first reply, you'll find some good replacements under $100.  Seriously.  But, if they were a nicer shape and better made, conceptually there's not really anything to ***** about!  Your shirt and tie selection are perfectly respectable too, and indeed admirable for someone just moving from long-term student status to the workplace.

Regarding your weekend stuff, I think you're rather in the wrong place.  This is the "Classic Menswear" side.  You'll get better advice on that sort of thing in the "Streetwear and Denim" section.  Also, I NEVER go there.  Which might be a bonus.

P.S.  Your trousers are certainly slim.  But that's de rigeur, it seems, and nobody can tell your religion just yet, so enjoy. :)

SidewinderX

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new fall coat, something that I can wear with both jeans and business casual in the office. I like the look of the Wallace & Barnes Skiff jacket in Navy (sold by J. Crew, image below). Any suggestions on similar options? I'm having trouble finding more to look at!

herp

Reaction score
I am in Paris for a few days and need to buy a slim fitting sports coat for roughly 1000 USD. Can some one give me some recomendations?
I know of Tonello, Boglioli, Isaia but is there anything more (especially in Paris)?.

Frankbrown13

Reaction score
Haha, got it. I'm still a student for another year.

So, you think the shoes are passable? I work in a hospital, but most of my time is spent in front of a computer. I occasionally interact with doctors or nurses, but I mostly interact with my colleagues (they aren't students), some of whom wear sneakers for comfort.

And I don't have a religion.

Mimo's religion comment was a joke. Think about it...

plainnerd

Reaction score
I've got a medium gray linen suit that I'm wearing to a friends wedding tomorrow morning. I usually wear it with an open collar but figure I should go with a tie for the wedding. So quick opinion on color: brown, dark red, dark violet, navy/silver stripe, or even something more fun like orange or royal blue. Any real standards for medium gray?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads