• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've looked at all of the "are these cordovan threads,: but I can't quite figure out whether these Florsheim's are or not.  I got these for not much on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-FLORSHE...buQD%2FUY3NkDqnBnOrKo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sellers pictures are pretty good so figured not worth taking my own. I think it is Cordovan...feels too thick to be leather and its got nailed in leather heels and the v-cleat so seems unlikely it would be corrected grain. Seemed to absorb leather conditioner? Can anyone tell? Thanks

A better. pic of the vamp would help but they look like shell to me

docka

Reaction score
Typically, would losing 10 pounds, from 140 lbs to 130 lbs, for a 5'8 guy make a huge difference for a slim fitting bespoke suit? I presume that the shoulders and the chest area is fairly similar since 140 is rather bone-y to begin with. The biggest adjustment might be the waistline. For clarification, the suit will be tailored towards the 140 lbs body.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

[ATTACHMENT=6309]IMG_20130516_090620_600.jpg (2,096k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] Thanks, does this help?
You should see nothing that looks like this however small

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does this look like a 3 roll 2 to you? To me it does, but I really can't be sure---
What is it you would see in that pic that would tell you it is a 3/2 or even suspect that it was .

environs

Reaction score
Can I hang a 50% linen 50% cotten blazer on a normal plastic hange without worrying about it stretching at the shoulders?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I hang a 50% linen 50% cotten blazer on a normal plastic hange without worrying about it stretching at the shoulders? 

That it's cotton/linen isn't as relevant as you might think. The size of the blazer, and the size of the hanger, are more relevant. (A 36R blazer on a 15.5" normal plastic hanger isn't a good idea. But a 52R blazer on a 15.5" normal plastic hanger is an even worse idea.)

But the short answer is, "probably not." Jackets (whether sports jackets or suit jackets) benefit from being stored on properly sized and contoured hangers. To fail to do so runs a real risk of unsightly "shoulder bumps," at the very least.

Since a perfectly fine, wooden, contoured jacket hanger can be had for about five bucks, it's foolish to cheap out on this expense. However, if you're dead set on hanging your blazer on a plastic hanger anyway, at least consider padding the hanger in the appropriate places with foam, or cardboard, or something. Although, again, a proper suit hanger is so inexpensive, so unlikely to ever wear out, and so likely to always come in handy, it seems silly to me to attempt to create a makeshift version out of a cheap plastic hanger, cardboard, and foam rubber.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since any structure in a jacket is made from material intended to shape itself to your body I feel using hangers as close to that shape as possible is best

michaelyork

Reaction score
does anyone know of a table correlating suit size (ITA or UK/US) with the ideal or most prevalent shirt size?
e.g. if i wear suit size ITA 52 (UK/US 42), what would be my idea shirt size? 17 (43)? 16.5(42)?

environs

Reaction score
That it's cotton/linen isn't as relevant as you might think. The size of the blazer, and the size of the hanger, are more relevant. (A 36R blazer on a 15.5" normal plastic hanger isn't a good idea. But a 52R blazer on a 15.5" normal plastic hanger is an even worse idea.)

But the short answer is, "probably not." Jackets (whether sports jackets or suit jackets) benefit from being stored on properly sized and contoured hangers. To fail to do so runs a real risk of unsightly "shoulder bumps," at the very least.

Since a perfectly fine, wooden, contoured jacket hanger can be had for about five bucks, it's foolish to cheap out on this expense. However, if you're dead set on hanging your blazer on a plastic hanger anyway, at least consider padding the hanger in the appropriate places with foam, or cardboard, or something. Although, again, a proper suit hanger is so inexpensive, so unlikely to ever wear out, and so likely to always come in handy, it seems silly to me to attempt to create a makeshift version out of a cheap plastic hanger, cardboard, and foam rubber.

Thanks, what size hanger should I be getting for a 38r jacket? Make me a specific recommendation if you'd like.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, what size hanger should I be getting for a 38r jacket?  Make me a specific recommendation if you'd like. 

Covered in the following entry, from Kirby Allison's Hanger Project blog: http://www.hangerproject.com/blog/Suit-Hanger-Sizing/

Let me add that The Hanger Project sells some really nice hangers. Great hangers, even. But cheapskate that I am, I settle for Proman hangers costing only a fraction as much, which still serve extremely well in every significant way. This is not to knock The Hanger Project, anymore than the fact that I happily drive a Hyundai Sonata should be taken to suggest that I think a Mercedes-Benz S-class sedan should necessarily be avoided.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

does anyone know of a table correlating suit size (ITA or UK/US) with the ideal or most prevalent shirt size?
e.g. if i wear suit size ITA 52 (UK/US 42), what would be my idea shirt size?  17 (43)? 16.5(42)?

The two are completely unrelated. Buy the suit that fits you and the shirt that fits you.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a single monk strap a la Edward green oundle or Jon Lobb Jermyn 2 but at close to $5/600 not $1,200? The meermins are out because I am looking for black and I don't want to wait for an MTO. Can't find anything by crockett & jones or carmina, my go-tos, I'm thinking maybe ferragamo lavorazione originale but I can't seem to find one. thanks in advance fellas

michaelyork

Reaction score
The two are completely unrelated. Buy the suit that fits you and the shirt that fits you.

I see. Thanks.

I'm a suit size ITA 52, but the collar of the 17 (43) shirt fits me.
Suit size ITA 52 has a 19" shoulder-to-shoulder, but the 17 shirt has a 21" shoulder to shoulder usually and it droops on me. but the collar fits me, 16.5 is too small.
That's why I wondered if there was a proper relationship between shirt size and suit size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads