• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Left Hand

Reaction score
Is the Gitman Bros. stuff on ebay real? They all seem to be right around $100. How do they sell them so much cheaper than Gitman Bros. themselves?

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Can some give me some websites or videos on how to tie a tie with a dimple? Looking at a 4 in hand knot probably. Preferably some easy guide as I don't know how to tie a tie at all right now
shog[1].gif
The dimple master (Spoo) ties his exactly as this video

http://www.trashness.com/tie-tying-with-the-armoury

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is a "shanked" button?

Think of a leather blazer button which typically has a metal loop protruding from the back. That loop is called a shank, so it is a shanked button. Metal blazer buttons also fit into this category.

Last edited:

diglett

Reaction score
Think of a leather blazer button which typically has a metal loop protruding from the back. That loop is called a shank, so it is a shanked button. Metal blazer buttons also fit into this category.
So just a button attached via a loop on its back, rather than a set of holes through which the stitching is pushed?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So just a button attached via a loop on its back, rather than a set of holes through which the stitching is pushed?

Right.

daveedoe

Reaction score
QUESTION: I found a really great deal on a John Varvatos slim cut 2-piece suit at Nordstrom Rack recently ($170, down from $795). It fits very well and I like it, but I'm not sure if it's really in style and even worth the $170 I paid for it. The first reason I'm unsure of it is that it has a peaked lapel. I like the peaked lapel, but don't really see them in use ever. Next, it's a light grey ghost pinstripe, which I also don't really see, but do like. My concerns are, first, will the material pattern be too distracting and will I look outdated? Second, will I look like I'm trying to be a pimp? Your responses are certainly appreciated. Be brutally honest. I can still return it for a full refund. Also, if you think it's worth hanging onto, what color and style shoes would you recommend?

Thanks,

David

3MScotchgard

Reaction score
Scotchgard(TM) Protectors are not recommended for use on velvet. Velvet can be made of many different materials such as silk, cotton, nylon, polyester,and acetate, and there is no way of knowing which of these materials are in velvet slippers. From our testing, we have found that Scotchgard could cause dye bleed, lay down the the nap of the fabric, or leave white spots behind. We unfortunately do not have a protector for velvet at this time.
Please see our website for products we do carry at www.scotchgard.com

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member