• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just got suckered into a Josabank sale, buy 1 get 2 free + a free jacket.

I tried on the stuff in the store, but am feeling buyers remorse. I went with the Signature tailored line (which I think is fused; not to be confused with Signature gold which I believe is half canvassed).

In the end I spent $950 on 1 suit, 2 sport coats, 2 pairs of pants and a coat.

Now I don't wear suits often, but do not own any and want to transition into dressing up more often.

Should I return them and buy 1 half canvassed mtm suit for $900?

FYI: I am a big guy (46 chest/42 waist) so the tailored line fit me pretty well in the body, even though josabank is known for boxy cuts. I am also still losing weight (80lbs down, 50lbs to go).

If you are still losing weight don't get MTM until you are at a stable weight. I think you will be fine for now.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm currently a college student and I'm getting tired of always wearing gym shoes/tennis shoes. I'd really like to get some casual leather shoes (they don't necessarily have to be leather). I live in Florida so I always wear khaki shorts/cargo shorts and a polo. What shoes do you think I should get? By the way, I do not like penny loafers/moccasins so those are out. Thank you, I appreciate your respones.

Sperry Top-Siders?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got suckered into a Josabank sale, buy 1 get 2 free + a free jacket.

I tried on the stuff in the store, but am feeling buyers remorse. I went with the Signature tailored line (which I think is fused; not to be confused with Signature gold which I believe is half canvassed).

In the end I spent $950 on 1 suit, 2 sport coats, 2 pairs of pants and a coat.

Now I don't wear suits often, but do not own any and want to transition into dressing up more often.

Should I return them and buy 1 half canvassed mtm suit for $900?

FYI: I am a big guy (46 chest/42 waist) so the tailored line fit me pretty well in the body, even though josabank is known for boxy cuts. I am also still losing weight (80lbs down, 50lbs to go).
If you are in the middle of losing weight, do not but a MTM suit. Also, if you are only getting started with regard to tailored clothing in general, don't get a MTM suit.

If you can return the Joseph A. Bank stuff, then that isn't a bad idea, as they are not really known for their quality on this board. However, $950 is not too bad for the stuff you got. Any recommendations for something similar from approved brands is going to cost you twice as much.

I assume you are buying clothes now before your weight has stabilized since you need to wear something right now, correct? Since you are still in-flux with regard to your weight, the quality and durability of the suit may not be your primary concern, so, unless someone can recommend a better brand for less, I would stick with what you have.

Once your weight has stabilized, then you can spend a little more on a decent suit. Suit Supply and Brooks Brothers (1818 line) are good places to start.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a belt similar to the Allen Edmonds Yukon. I have decide to not get the Yukon because of some quality issues I have read about in regards to this belt. I am pairing the shoes with the Mctavish in the Natural color. Does anyone have any suggestions on a belt? I have a few dark brown belts but I am looking for something lighter. I thought I found a Martin Dingman at Nordstrom's today but they did not have my size. Thanks for your time.

If you like the Dingman, why not order it online or ask Nordstrom's to get one in your size from another store?

Notatinyman

Reaction score
If you are in the middle of losing weight, do not but a MTM suit. Also, if you are only getting started with regard to tailored clothing in general, don't get a MTM suit.

If you can return the Joseph A. Bank stuff, then that isn't a bad idea, as they are not really known for their quality on this board. However, $950 is not too bad for the stuff you got. Any recommendations for something similar from approved brands is going to cost you twice as much.

I assume you are buying clothes now before your weight has stabilized since you need to wear something right now, correct? Since you are still in-flux with regard to your weight, the quality and durability of the suit may not be your primary concern, so, unless someone can recommend a better brand for less, I would stick with what you have.

Once your weight has stabilized, then you can spend a little more on a decent suit. Suit Supply and Brooks Brothers (1818 line) are good places to start.

Thanks for the info.

Will post some pics to check fit when the clothes arrive.

kushburner

Reaction score
Im going to a career fair next week and networking with some Fortune 500 companies. The dress code is business casual. Will this be a good outfit:

Brown shoes
Light beige chinos
White oxford shirt
Burgundy tie

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im going to a career fair next week and networking with some Fortune 500 companies. The dress code is business casual. Will this be a good outfit:

Brown shoes
Light beige chinos
White oxford shirt
Burgundy tie

Two options:

1) Ditch the tie

or

2) Wear a sport coat/blazer or thin cardigan/v-neck over

kushburner

Reaction score
It will be too hot for any layering.. about 80F. I live in SoCal
smile.gif

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It will be too hot for any layering.. about 80F. I live in SoCal :)

Fair enough. Don't wear the tie though. That look (shirt + tie) is hated on here. Trust me it doesn't look good. So yeah just don't wear the tie and in that case you'd want to wear a different shirt. Also wear some nice socks to add some color.

Last edited:

Hexism

Reaction score
I am a uni student.

Fairly tanned.

6 feet. 70kg. Lean body.

Suggest me a set of clothing. Illustration will be great.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads