• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What suspenders color can go with most outfits?

Strictly speaking, your suspenders should not be seen in public. They're like underwear that way. So, if you hold to this standard, and wear a jacket over your suspenders, and keep your jacket on, it doesn't matter what color the suspenders are. Yes, I recognize that many men habitually remove their jackets at work, at social events, etc. But that's the traditional, conservative rule, so I figured I'd mention it.

If you intend to go around with your suspenders visible, well, then I suppose suspenders which are compatible with the rest of your attire in terms of formality, color, pattern, fabric, etc., would work best. (Note that "compatible" isn't necessarily the same thing as "matching." It's much the same way as how a pocket square, necktie, and suit, when worn together, should all be compatible with each other, but it's typically best if they do not all match each other.)

Also, what is appropriate to wear with suspenders (pants with no belt loops?) and what is never a good idea (a belt, a vest?)
1. If wearing a belt, do not also wear suspenders. If wearing suspenders, do not also wear a belt. It's strictly an "either/or" situation.

2. A vest should properly cover the waistband of one's pants. A belt will not infrequently tend to protrude under the vest, adding girth, drawing the eye to the waist, and ruining the smooth line. Consequently, if you're wearing a vest, suspenders may be an especially good idea.

3. Assuming your pants have suspender buttons sewn in (please do not wear clip-on suspenders), you may wear suspenders with them, even if the pants also have belt loops. This is generally acceptable (although some individuals may not care for the look). HOWEVER, see #4, below.

4. Technically, pants meant to be worn with a belt, and pants meant to be worn with suspenders, are tailored slightly differently. So, if your pants have belt loops and you routinely wear them with a belt, you may find that they won't hang quite as well when worn with suspenders as would a pair tailored specifically with suspenders in mind (and these pants specifically intended to be worn with suspenders would, presumably, not have belt loops). This may not necessarily be a major problem - a given pair of pants may prove acceptable when worn either way - but it is something to keep in mind. Certainly, if you ever went to a reputable bespoke tailor to have a suit made, he would want to know your preference, re belt/suspenders, and would adjust the fit accordingly.

BTW, bonus points to you for calling them "pants" and "suspenders," as opposed to "trousers" and "braces." :)
--
Michael

Tyler2106

Reaction score
I've been searching around for a good dress shirt in the $75-100 range. Most people agree that the BB dress shirts are good for the price. I'm curious, since the Benjamin suits get such good reviews, is how are the Benjamin dress shirts in terms of quality and fit when compared to the BB shirts?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you do a TV fold/straight fold with a silk square?

I find that silk lacks the body needed to work well with a TV/straight/Presidential fold. I like silk pocket squares just fine, but almost always wear them casually stuffed into the pocket, in what I believe is called a puff "fold" (which isn't really much of a fold, at all).

For the more formal sorts of folds you're asking about, I stick with linen or cotton.

That having been said, I'm not claiming that it's utterly impossible to wear a silk square in a TV/straight fold. Just that more often than not, this isn't the ideal combination.

Between a white, pink, berry (deeper color, almost "dark") or lavender shirt what would work best?
Well, black and white is a classic combination. Perhaps too stark for some tastes, although the situation and the tie might mitigate this to a considerable extent.

Black and pink can work well, too.

Please don't wear an "almost dark berry" shirt, with a black suit. Much as I dislike black suits, pairing them with dark shirts just makes the whole thing even worse.
--
Michael

grahamalama

Reaction score
Quick Question: So I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm trying to make this hand-me-down blazer work with something. Two main questions
1. I was wondering if it was worth bothering
2. and if so, what would you suggest I do with it. Or am I on the right track?

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Bk9rU

Let me know of your suggestions, thanks!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick Question: So I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm trying to make this hand-me-down blazer work with something. Two main questions

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Bk9rU

It's neither classic nor versatile. From that perspective, I wouldn't bother.

Do you really want those? :embar:

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for traveling with a suit.

I only have two options, roll it up and put it in a backpack or use a plastic bag to carry it.

I leave Friday evening and the flight is 2 hours, then I have a wedding to attend Saturday at noon.

Don't know what to do and my flight is tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have suggestions for traveling with a suit.

I only have two options, roll it up and put it in a backpack or use a plastic bag to carry it.

I leave Friday evening and the flight is 2 hours, then I have a wedding to attend Saturday at noon.

Don't know what to do and my flight is tomorrow evening.

Search youtube for a "how to fold a suit" video. Should be wearable out of your luggage.

Ivar

Reaction score

Quick Question: So I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm trying to make this hand-me-down blazer work with something. Two main questions

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Bk9rU

I think I like it -- at least the silhouette -- but I reserve my judgement till you show us a sharper photo.

Last edited:

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search youtube for a "how to fold a suit" video. Should be wearable out of your luggage.

Saw this and will give it a try.

Do you think it will be file to fold it in the morning, then head to work and leave it as such. I'm planning on cutting early from work to go to the airport, so I don't know if having it folded that way the entire day will be an issue.

work from 8-3, then leave straight for the airport. flight is at 5:30.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads