• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering if I should look into investing in a pair of dark brown dress shoes? are they a versatile color?

If you truly hate dark brown shoes, then don't buy yourself any dark brown shoes; it's possible to get along without them. But yes, they are a highly versatile color.

I know people who hate black shoes. Nevertheless, most of them own at least one pair of black shoes, simply because sometimes black really is a good choice, and it's only one pair. Depending on your level of distaste for dark brown shoes, perhaps you could adopt a similar approach to the matter.

Should I look into leather dress shoes or suede dress shoes in dark brown?
Since you explicitly mentioned versatility, I would point out that, in general, suede dress shoes are less versatile than leather dress shoes. (In much the same way that a tan suit is usually less versatile than a grey suit.) Exceptions may exist. But exceptions do not necessarily invalidate a general rule. That's what makes it a "general" rule, and not an absolute rule.

However, there is nothing inherently wrong with suede shoes in dark brown. If you like the shoes, and think you'll have occasion to wear them, feel free to buy them. (Nor is there anything inherently wrong with a tan suit, if you like the suit and think you'll have occasion to wear it.)

I'm likely going to buy them from Meermin as they're cheap and decent quality. Rather do that than spend a lot on Carmina's and then wear them infrequently.
I'm not terribly familiar with Meermin. (Nor am I all that expert on Carmina's, for all that I do own one pair of them. A suede pair, coincidentally enough.)

But that having been said, when it comes to shoes, it's often sensible to spend a little more money to get excellent quality. Then properly maintain and care for the shoes. Doing so can result in many years of excellent service from them. (To further complicate matters, even with proper care and good quality shoes to begin with, it's likely fair to suggest that leather shoes will tend to outlast suede shoes.)
--
Michael

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have black blazer which I love. I hate the pants. Provided I have a loud enough tie or heavily patterned shirt, is it possible to match the black blazer to some other slacks? And if so...how?

scoredtx

Reaction score
I have black blazer which I love. I hate the pants. Provided I have a loud enough tie or heavily patterned shirt, is it possible to match the black blazer to some other slacks? And if so...how?
Is it a blazer (a standalone sportcoat) or the top part of a black suit? I believe black is one of the most difficult colors to make work, and perhaps that is the reason it doesn't get much appreciation in this forum (that may be an understatement).

First, do not try and match it to a pair of black pants. That will not be anything that looks good, nor will it have lasting value in your wardrobe.

Second, forget trying to get a loud tie or crazy shirt to make it more appealing. See next point.

Finally, if it were me, and I had to keep the black blazer, I would pair it with a pair of gray slacks (medium gray, not too dark and not too light). Then, I would find a complementary shirt/tie combination. You can bring some color into the shirt/tie, but do not go crazy. Tall, gray socks with polished black leather shoes and a plain black belt.

Importantly, where are you going to wear this?

mytton

Reaction score
I'm about to get a dark blue-grey suit (more gray imo, looks like this color pretty much) as my first suit when I always envisioned myself getting a navy one (I'm getting a navy blazer as well, so I found it redundant to have a suit in the same color). Problem is, I feel like the darker grey is just so flat, dull, uncreative. What can I do to really make it exciting and stand out?

For context, I'm in college and the suit will be used for social events and business events.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody know the reason as to why Tuxedos have satin lapels? Always wondered about that.

Not to be facetious, but if a tuxedo didn't have satin lapels and satin stripes down the sides of the pants, it'd just be another black suit. I mean, the former is probably the single most common characteristic differentiating a tuxedo jacket from an ordinary black jacket, and the latter the single most common characteristic differentiating tuxedo pants from ordinary black pants.

Yes, there may well be other, less common or more subtle differences, but the satin thing is the almost universal and immediately obvious one. Also, there may be differences in accompanying items - cummerbund, shoes, shirt studs, etc. But they're just that - accompanying items, and not the tuxedo itself. And for purposes of this post, "satin" should be taken to technically mean "satin or grosgrain."

It's sort of similar to the reason why tricycles have a third wheel - it's because without that third wheel, they'd just be bicycles. :)
--
Michael

HughJ

Reaction score

Not well. Are the pants beyond tailoring?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="mytton" url="/t/79716/ask-a-question-get-an-answer-post-all-quick-questions-here/16980_60#post_5689020"...(I'm getting a navy blazer as well, so I found it redundant to have a suit in the same color). Problem is, I feel like the darker grey is just so flat, dull, uncreative. What can I do to really make it exciting and stand out?

For context, I'm in college and the suit will be used for social events and business events. 
[/quote]

A navy blazer and navy suit are not redundant. They are different things and you do not wear them both at the same time.

The suit should not be exciting and should not stand out. You can jazz it up or down with your shirt, tie, belt and shoes.

Tomoglo

Reaction score
I have a question in regards to Burberry's Duffle Coats.

Do the coats from their company generally run large and roomy? I am planning to buy a new coat for the winter since the winters are incredibly rough in Chicago.

I am 5 feet and 7 inches and have a relatively slim stature. (5'7) My clothes are generally medium, but I can fit into some small sizes.

Would this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221095799906

Fit someone who wears a medium?

Your feedback is appreciated!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a question in regards toBurberry's Duffle Coats.

Do the coats from their company generally run large and roomy? I am planning to buy a new coat for the winter since the winters are incredibly rough in Chicago.

I am 5 feet and 7 inches and have a relatively slim stature. (5'7) My clothes are generally medium, but I can fit into some small sizes.

Would this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221095799906

Fit someone who wears a medium?

Your feedback is appreciated!

The listing has measurements off the coat. Compare them to measurements on a coat you'd be wearing in a similar situation that you own and fits well.

LostnConfused

Reaction score
Hi again, I'm a noob also
shog[1].gif

So I have a two-part question. What suspenders color can go with most outfits? Also, what is appropriate to wear with suspenders (pants with no belt loops?) and what is never a good idea (a belt, a vest?)

MarshMan114

Reaction score
So I am going to my best friend's rehearsal dinner this weekend and had a quick pocket square question. I will be wearing a black suit (I know I know, never wear black unless it's a funeral. Essentially, I have no other options.) I was going to pull the trigger on a white linen pocket square via Kent Wang, but never got around to it. Because it's this weekend I missed the ability to order online. Due to my complaining, my wife went to Nordstrom and picked up a silk white PS for me.

Can you do a TV fold/straight fold with a silk square? Between a white, pink, berry (deeper color, almost "dark") or lavender shirt what would work best? Thanks for any input.

noctem

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member here and wanted some opinions on blazer buttons. I want some opinions on button size and these buttons in general. I feel like the buttons on the blazers I can afford look cheesy. I'm trying to make a nod toward the heritage of the blazer (gold and metal buttons) but a touch contemporary. The sizes the button below comes in 14mm, 18mm 23mm, 28mm. I have a hard time visualizing these buttons, which sizes should I use? I was thinking two 18mm on the front and 3 14mm on each cuff? The blazer is a basic slim cut tommy hilfiger navy (at macys.com).

Any advice welcome! Thanks in advance!

thisisfun

Reaction score
Not to be facetious, but if a tuxedo didn't have satin lapels and satin stripes down the sides of the pants, it'd just be another black suit. I mean, the former is probably the single most common characteristic differentiating a tuxedo jacket from an ordinary black jacket, and the latter the single most common characteristic differentiating tuxedo pants from ordinary black pants.
Yes, there may well be other, less common or more subtle differences, but the satin thing is the almost universal and immediately obvious one. Also, there may be differences in accompanying items - cummerbund, shoes, shirt studs, etc. But they're just that - accompanying items, and not the tuxedo itself. And for purposes of this post, "satin" should be taken to technically mean "satin or grosgrain."
It's sort of similar to the reason why tricycles have a third wheel - it's because without that third wheel, they'd just be bicycles.
smile.gif

--
Michael

So it's essentially there for the sole purpose of distinguishing it from a suit?
Well that's rather anticlimactic; I though there would've been some 'practical' reason as to why those features existed.
Nevertheless, thanks for the explanation.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does anybody know the reason as to why Tuxedos have satin lapels? Always wondered about that.

Tuxedos evolved from evening tailcoats...

Silk lapel facings appeared in the 1860s, which menswear author Nicholas Antongiavanni credits to the envy of civilian men wearing their tailcoats in the company of heraldic finery or full-dress military uniform. Unlike today, the facing did not cover the entire lapel but stopped at the edge of the multiple buttonholes that were standard on lapels of the time.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/History/03-Victorian_Early,Mid.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads