• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does striped shirt and a solid tie work with a glen plaid suit?

It certainly could but it's not fool proof... u got pix? The stripes on the shirt should be distinguished from the plaid (not too similar in width or tone) and the tie should (oh no!)... tie it all together! :rimshot: there are various ways to do it but descriptions or better yet pix of what you're working with would help.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It certainly could but it's not fool proof... u got pix? The stripes on the shirt should be distinguished from the plaid (not too similar in width or tone) and the tie should (oh no!)... tie it all together! :rimshot: there are various ways to do it but descriptions or better yet pix of what you're working with would help.

Blah to both of those examples.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blah to both of those examples.

It's all I could find.... I was trying to give him something to reference since he didn't provide pix of his material. Sorry to have offended the peanut gallery...jeez...

Last edited:
Reaction score

EdWn

Reaction score
Well first of all:

1. I ran a search regarding the topic I'm asking about. Didn't want to bump old threads, but wasn't sure if I'd get yelled at for making a new thread so I'm posting in here first. If my topic warrants a new thread, let me know.
2. Based on what I read in the old threads I wasn't sure if my question fell under street or mens, so I'm posting both. Let me know where it should be and I'll just post there.

So me and my cousin are turning 21 on Dec 15th, so us and bunch of family and friends will be heading to Vegas for that weekend. Even though I'm from SoCal, I don't really hit up clubs, so this will be my first time. I kind of had a outfit in mind but now I'm having second thoughts, so who better to ask for an opinion than the members of this forum.

For the top, I was looking to wear an outfit like this:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3920/27450115.jpg (OK I've asked many times but no one answers me. How come I'm not able to post pictures? I'm using the
in the front and back and it's not working.)

1. Is wearing a blazer too much?
2. Would black on black work?
3. Does my dress shirt have to be tucked in?
4. If I go with just a dress shirt, should I leave the sleeves down or can I roll them up?
5. Thoughts on a vest?
6. Thoughts on a tie?

Or for a less fancier outfit, just a black wool sweater over a white dress shirt (untucked), maybe with a tie, paired with either dress pants/black slacks or black waxed jeans like this:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4803/bbbbuj.jpg

If I end up wearing a blazer, then I will get black dress pants. If not, would a pair of unfaded waxed black jeans be fine with an untucked dress shirt? Kind of like this:

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/8283/89437309.jpg

These are the jeans:

http://assets.*********.com/vendor/ANL/zoom/259785-blkzoom6.jpg

And would rolling up the cuff to show a bit of ankle (like in the picture) be a bad move with black wax jeans + dress shirt? What about with dress pants + blazer?

And finally the shoes. I was thinking about ordering the black shoes in the picture above since I have the grey ones and I love them. Here's a closer look:

http://files.tradoria.de/360b66f0ba...e/images/22edc86ea939e00336e0e8a441ee0a2d.jpg

Yes, the wrinkles are part of the style but in some pictures it looks really smooth. If they really come that wrinkly I don't know if that'll be the best pair of shoes to wear. Or I can go bold with these:

http://ugc.burton.kontain.com/photo...f5-e13e-4614-9eb4-c6c7d2a28ab4/tb_640x480.jpg

So yea that's a little of what I had in mind. I don't want to look too overdressed but I don't want to look like I didn't put any thought into my outfit. I'm only 5'7, really skinny and look really young if that matters. I admit I'd look at a kid strange if they walked around dressed super nice. Just doesn't look right.

I won't have a lot of time to shop so I'll be heading to a mall and probably getting my clothes from H&M or ZARA's. Yea, I know, way below forum standards but I'm not trying to spend too much money on an outfit I'm only going to wear once in a while.

TIA.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
I am going to NYC for a vacation. When in a store like Tom Ford, is it kosher to take a picture of yourself in a suit to see how it looks, or this gauche? Also, any recommendations for places I should not miss (menswear wise) in NYC?

EDIT: after reading and old (2007) NYT about poor service at the store, I'm not even sure I should walk into TF...thoughts?

Last edited:

ebw1

Reaction score
I am going to NYC for a vacation. When in a store like Tom Ford, is it kosher to take a picture of yourself in a suit to see how it looks, or this gauche? Also, any recommendations for places I should not miss (menswear wise) in NYC?
EDIT: after reading this I'm not even sure I should walk into TF...thoughts?

Why shouldn't you?

xMaximex

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out whether or not these are made of shell cordovan. I only have access to those pictures and it's not written ''Shell Cordovan'' anywhere. They are new-old-stock from Craddock-Terry company (1904-1980s). I know they used to make some shell cordovan shoes. They have a leather sole with Biltrite heels. I thought that since it was a norwegian split toe style from many years ago, hence a dress boots , and also from the creases that we can see in the picture - even though they are ''new', that these could be made using Shell Cordovan.

Any help would be appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads