• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
Quick question. I lost about 25lbs and now some of my sports coats are now too big. Was a 44r and am now a 42r. Is it possible for a tailor to bring in a jacket by 1 to 2 inches in the sides and if so, is it usually costly?

Yes, so long as they still fit you in the shoulders. But this will be costly, so if the suit's cheap, it might not be worth it to you.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2 Legit 2 Quit
what exactly are shawls

As an item of clothing, it's a large rectangular scarf that can be worn over the shoulders.

As a collar, it's an unbroken (i.e. no notch at all) collar and lapel on a jacket.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NerdiusRex
What is the most appropriate kind of jacket to wear in the (New England) winter over a sports/suit coat? Also is it OK to wear khaki colored pants all winter?
Look up navy bridge coat. I guess it's OK if your workplace is casual....and the hems are in good shape after all that salt. Do consider some yummy grey flannel pants though.

enginerd917

Reaction score
In the market for one or two dress pants, having done the research I'm really only confused by a few things:

Are 100% cotten pants to be considered "dress pants"

I assumed wool, and everyone always says purchase a medium gray and charcoal grey as the first two pairs. What weave? Gabardine can develop a shine correct? Is a textured weave such as flannel even a logical purchase with only one or two "dress" pants in rotation?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a Hart Schaffner Marx label at a thrift store tonight I wasn't familiar with. No "trumpeter" character at all, just "Hart Schaffner Marx" printed across a straight line. Is this/Was this a new line, a cheap line, a fashion line (the cut seemed different than most HSM suits I've seen) or something altogether different?

Flea Spray

Reaction score
Not knowing much about bespoke suits, perhaps this is a silly question, but...

Given that they're so accurately made to your exact body shape, does this mean you have to watch your weight very carefully and not fluctuate, or are there allowances made into the designs that let the suit still look good after Christmas (within reason)?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ Flea Spray -

Although bespoke suits are made to your exact body shape, there is a wide spectrum of how loose they fit, based on personal preference. In other words, your tailor can make you a very slim fitting suit, or one that has more drape and a looser fit.

So, the answer will depend on how the suit is made.

EZ

GlenCoe

Reaction score
oh nvm

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flea Spray
Not knowing much about bespoke suits, perhaps this is a silly question, but...

Given that they're so accurately made to your exact body shape, does this mean you have to watch your weight very carefully and not fluctuate, or are there allowances made into the designs that let the suit still look good after Christmas (within reason)?

Whether or not a suit is made for your particular measurements is not the important factor. Any garment that fits properly will lose its fit if the your body changes dramatically. If the fit leaves a bit of "wiggle-room" in the beginning, then of course you can gain a bit of weight without having to alter your suit. A good tailor should be able to alter any reasonably well-constructed suit and whether it was made to measure or otherwise doesn't make a fundamental difference.

stevenvg

Reaction score
can anyone identify what leather this is? the cheaney representative told me from the model name that it is pig but it doesn't look like it at all..

camel maybe?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sum1else

Reaction score
I just got my RL Darltons. I am Wondering if the rubber on the bottom is replaceable without redoing the entire shoe. If so, then I wouldn't really need to get taps... This is just a random image i found illustrating what im talking about Thanks

AEB A4

Reaction score
I saw these really nice navy large check/windowpane pants. The check was a little bit lighter than the color of the trouser itself, and almost unnoticeable. The checks where quite large. Anyone have any idea who might sell similair pants. Ive looked for pictures but cant find anything.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AEB A4
I saw these really nice navy large check/windowpane pants. The check was a little bit lighter than the color of the trouser itself, and almost unnoticeable. The checks where quite large. Anyone have any idea who might sell similair pants. Ive looked for pictures but cant find anything.

I'd assume those were pants from a suit, although it might not be true. In any case, you can try any MTM place (like moderntailor.com) and they will be able to make you pants out of any fabric you choose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads