• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a gray windowpane sport coat like this recently? I checked all the usual sources - BB, Ralph Lauren, J. Press, and O'Connels - but the closest I could find is a brown or tan background with a windowpane pattern. The gray base looks really nice, I think.

16.jpg

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by young Ego
I wear a US size 10 C/D in most shoes. For Church's 81 Last should I size down to a UK 9.5F or a 9F?

I figure a full size down - so size 9F. Double check with Herrings.

AE7

Reaction score
Confused about the size of my boots.

I wear EU 44, US 10.5.

There is a pair of TODS winter boots in TODS' size 10 (110576745402) that seller says are 11.8 inch long on the "bottom of boot" (quote from the Ebay desrciption).

My other winter boots, with wider welts then TODS ones run between 12.7 to 13 inch on the outsole. My bare foot measures 10.6 inch.

I know that TODS sizes run 1/2 - 1 US size larger.

So I am confused whether the ''bottom of boot'' means the outsole and the cut of these boots have to be accounted for (i.e. no welts)? Should I go for TODS in larger size?

Cheers in advance!

stylishtry

Reaction score
I recently bought a tuxedo jacket on eBay (Monsieur by Givenchy if this helps address my question) and when I received the jacket the front pockets were sewn shut and they seem to be permanently/ I don't think there are any pockets there.

The gentlemen I purchased the tuxedo from said sewn pockets makes the jacket hang better. He said I could cut them open but he couldn't guarantee there will be an actual pocket there.

Is this write about the hanging better? I would prefer pockets but if it is stylish to have them shut I would be fine like that I just haven't seen that before.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You should be able to tell if pockets exist by feeling the inside lining. Many suit jackets come with the pockets tacked closed and I leave them closed. Putting anything in outside lower jacket pockets, including hands, makes the line of the jacket look crap. My advice is to leave then alone.

dimeno

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm going to a friends wedding, but I don't have a suit where I am (university).
Can borrow this, but I'm not really sure...wearable or not (go buy something new...)?
dressu.jpg

Yeah, I'm wearing it here
smile.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimeno
Hi!

I'm going to a friends wedding, but I don't have a suit where I am (university).
Can borrow this, but I'm not really sure...wearable or not (go buy something new...)?
dressu.jpg

smile.gif

A size or two too tight. Also, I would not wear pinstripe to a wedding. It's borderline wearable: if you have no other option then it's better wearing this to a wedding than normal clothes; however, it is advisable that you buy the right size if you have an option of buying new. Since you are in college, you will need one sooner or later anyway.

heaven7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimeno
Hi!

dressu.jpg

smile.gif

If you end up borrowing this, avoid buttoning the jacket.
It's not really kosher by formal standards but the it'd help conceal the overall tightness.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar
Confused about the size of my boots.

I wear EU 44, US 10.5.

There is a pair of TODS winter boots in TODS' size 10 (110576745402) that seller says are 11.8 inch long on the "bottom of boot" (quote from the Ebay desrciption).

My other winter boots, with wider welts then TODS ones run between 12.7 to 13 inch on the outsole. My bare foot measures 10.6 inch.

I know that TODS sizes run 1/2 - 1 US size larger.

So I am confused whether the ''bottom of boot'' means the outsole and the cut of these boots have to be accounted for (i.e. no welts)? Should I go for TODS in larger size?

Cheers in advance!

I would email the seller and make sure it's the sole and not inside the boot. I normally wear size 10 or 10.5 US and I have a pair of Tod's 9.5 that fit really well but they are driving loafers. I think Tod's are usually Euro size which would be closer to 11 US. Check the inside of one of your shoes and see what it measures inside too, that measurement may be right for the interior of the shoe.

dijon

Reaction score
quick AE shoe measurement question

anybody have a width and length measurement of a 9D Allen Edmonds shoe with the Last #5? (Park ave, Fifth ave, Strand...)

would really appreciate it

young Ego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
I figure a full size down - so size 9F. Double check with Herrings.

Thanks for the response. According to Herrings size charts the US 10 is equal to the EU 43.5 and the UK 9.5, but I'm not sure I trust that all of the shoe brands Herring sells fit exactly the same in length. I also saw a pair of Church's Sahara Boots on Y00X listed as 9US / 8UK. Also, when I emailed Church's directly they gave me no answer and said I should visit one of their stores for a proper fitting (and I provided them with my foot length/width in the email). So now I either guess my size, or wait until the next time I'm in NY or London, which probably won't be anytime soon. Any additional insight would be welcome.

jpr1nce

Reaction score
What is the best material for sweat patch resistance in a work shirt?

Also what are the best fit work shirts for a slightly bigger guy, trying to stay fashion forwards

mech IFR

Reaction score
what are the brand name of slacks that seem to be popular here? mitabix or something similar? I've been using the search for 15 min can't seem to nail it down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads