• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Pocket square question:

Is one meant to remove the labels on pocket squares before wearing them? I acquired a couple recently as I look to improve my wardrobe and they have rather obtrusive labels. In the past I would have removed them in a heartbeat, but thanks to this forum, I've learned that good clothing has resale value and i don't want to 'anonymize' the pieces to diminish their potential resale value.

Every time I try to place them, the tag seems to interfere. Again, I'm still new to their use, so i may simply be incompetent.

Thanks.
I just removed the sewn on tag from a couple YSL pocket squares my father gave to me the other day. To be honest with something like a pocket square I don't know you should be that interested in resale value. With the exception of a few brand or material purists (I assume they exist), most people purchase a PS based on its look. Things that increase the value like nice silk and hand-rolled edges are fairly evident but even those are perks IMO. I generally buy a PS because I like the pattern or know it will match an outfit I have in mind. All that said, my YSL pocket squares had a sewn on tag and featured a logo printed into the silk. IME most higher-end PS makers (Hermes, Talbott, Versace, etc) all print their logo in the silk somewhere. So if it bother you that much perhaps look for the logo somewhere in the pattern? If the tag is interfering with your ability to fold or roll the PS then I say get rid of it. Never base your clothing or accessory decisions on their resale value. It's your item. Enjoy it in good health.

Last edited:

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i keep seeing this on ebay...
why do people bid HIGHER than the actual dollar amount on a gift card for sale?
wtf...
i see $400 gift card selling for $415... $250 gc selling for $258 ... etc.
i don't get it

is there some sort of scam? some way of paying less that i don't know about?
or are these people just really stupid and get caught up in the bidding war?

assholes

Hackett

Reaction score
Are the tassel loafers at Brooks Brothers still made by Alden? The BB website doesn't say (and affirmatively refuses to identify the maker on a different pair), and I haven't been able to find anything on it. I'd been told that AE was taking over the BB line, but I didn't know if that applied to all the non-Peal dress shoes or not.

GabREAL

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can recognize the boots featured in the 7 For All Mankind ad I attached. As far as I know, 7 For All Mankind doesn't make any men's boots. Any recommendations on similar boots would be great as well. Thanks.

Coronaeus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply to the pocket square question.

I will likely remove the offending tags. The two pocket squares in question are a Zegna which has a logo in the silk, and an Armani which does not. The label on the Armani is so large, and the square a little smaller in size, that no matter how I fold it, it seems to find a way to surface.

Last edited:

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NO. Do not buy any suit that you can't try on first. You will be sorry. Go to Brooks Brothers during a sale on their 1818 line.

Of course; I've never bought something I haven't tried on in person.

Turns out that the +J jackets fit me perfectly. Their pants are a bit slim, though.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost every suit I bought I haven't tried in person. However, my body type is easy to fit.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wtf...
i don't get it

There is a scheme, the details of which I don't recall, that gets them 10% back from these cards.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone, I've been a member here for a while. Used to only really visit the streetwear section but stopped visiting the site for a few months until now. I am now browsing the men's clothing section more and I recall in streetwear there was a lot of hate for the men's clothing section.

:deadhorse:

There are dolts, mostly noobish, on both side of the divide that look down on the other side just because it is the other.

Don't perpetuate it; its a continuum.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

I need a recommendation for a navy wool suit for a (broke) college student (e.g. for interviews, weddings, etc.).

Uniqlo regular Tasmanian Wool suit or +J (which fits much slimmer)? Or does anybody have any other suggestions for a reliable suit that isn't too hard on the wallet?

Thanks!

I have heard the Uniqlo is a pretty good value. If it's available for you to try on and it's a great fit, it would probably work well for your occasional use situation. The online suggestions (i.e. gilt) will definitely yield a better price/quality deal, but that's only value built on the assumption that the online suit fits you perfectly. The materials in a high quality suit will not offset the less-desirable fit. And for a limited use suit, the lifetime won't be too much of a factor either.

So here's what I think you should do: 1) find a reasonably priced suit that fits perfectly with minimal alterations. 2) Bring a tape measure and measure it on the spot. 3) Keep your eyes out for the right suit on B&S. If you can't find a suit that matches the measurements before the occasion that you need it, go buy the one you tried on. If you can, use B&S to save some money (or get a better quality suit).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wtf...
i don't get it

One explanation: the bidders are using the cards as gifts. People are willing to pay a little more in that scenario.

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My memory was that they had to use them in order to get the 10%. So no, the transaction isn't what is giving extra to them.

Something like a points program with the companies involved... but I wasn't interested so I just skimmed the details.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One explanation: the bidders are using the cards as gifts. People are willing to pay a little more in that scenario.

this makes zero sense
you could always just order straight from the retailer and get a gift card without overpaying ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads