• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have you ever thought that maybe your questions are too dumb ie. can be answered if you look hard enough?

good luck browsing MC with your clarks db budget..

Jeez, having a bad day or something? What makes you think I have a clarks db budget...? I was only asking because I see differences in opinion on certain things. For example, in streetwear it seems like Ralph Lauren is looked down upon yet here in MC it's the opposite I think. So I just wanted to know what are some other differences...sorry if it ruined your day.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Hey everyone, I've been a member here for a while. Used to only really visit the streetwear section but stopped visiting the site for a few months until now. I am now browsing the men's clothing section more and I recall in streetwear there was a lot of hate for the men's clothing section. I'm guessing there are difference of opinions regarding style. What are these differences? Just wondering, thought I'd ask here because quite frankly I found most people to be douches in the streetwear section when answering questions.

Asking a pretty loaded question there Clarks. I'd say that the main difference, from the little I know about the other side of the tracks, is that there is an onus here on tailoring, craftsmanship, materials, attention to detail and classic styling, whereas the gents over at SW are more inclined to study trends and "fashion movements."

Now not to say that SW guys don't have an eye for quality, especially with items like denim, but some of our greatest contributors and members here are men that have been dressing the same way, with more or less the same labels on their backs, for years (for better or for worse). It seems the majority of us consider ourselves students of tradition and quality. Many of the brands drooled over in MC can trace their history in centuries.

I welcome you to the MC side of things. As a relative n00b myself, I can say there is an uncomfortable amount to learn.

Last edited:

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

do other shoe makers offer restoration for about the same price as AE?
if so, buying a used AE + restoration might not make sense...
but buying higher end shoes + restoration does?

It makes sense if the price is the same.

I know AE, Cole Haan (pfffft), and Alden have a restoration program. I'd like to know who else does this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

shoes are something i try to buy new since i don't like the idea of someone with sweaty nasty feet having worn the shoes for months.. maybe even years

A reasonable preference, but the same logic can applied to shirts and pants, which can be even worse becaus of their direct contact with the skin; for example, I have a friend who goes commando about 80% of the time. Yeah he washes his clothes and showers, but I just think it's really gross.

Jeez, having a bad day or something? What makes you think I have a clarks db budget...? I was only asking because I see differences in opinion on certain things. For example, in streetwear it seems like Ralph Lauren is looked down upon yet here in MC it's the opposite I think. So I just wanted to know what are some other differences...sorry if it ruined your day.

**** that. You don't have apologize for anything.

Asking a pretty loaded question there Clarks. I'd say that the main difference, from the little I know about the other side of the tracks, is that there is an onus here on tailoring, craftsmanship, materials, attention to detail and classic styling, whereas the gents over at SW are more inclined to study trends and "fashion movements."

Now not to say that SW guys don't have an eye for quality, especially with items like denim, but some of our greatest contributors and members here are men that have been dressing the same way, with more or less the same labels on their backs, for years (for better or for worse). It seems the majority of us consider ourselves students of tradition and quality. Many of the brands drooled over in MC can trace their history in centuries.

I welcome you to the MC side of things. As a relative n00b myself, I can say there is an uncomfortable amount to learn.

Bourbonbasted, I could've sworn you had more than 600+ posts. I know it's not germane to anything being said, I just wanted to let you know.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A reasonable preference, but the same logic can applied to shirts and pants, which can be even worse becaus of their direct contact with the skin; for example, I have a friend who goes commando about 80% of the time. Yeah he washes his clothes and showers, but I just think it's really gross.

lol
gross

but i figure... clothes can be washed in the machine or dry cleaned
whereas shoes ... you really can't do anything except spray something and/or let the shoe tree soak up some moisture
just not the same

Tonybag0dohnutz

Reaction score
Kind of an odd question, but I have a pair of denim that I really like aside from the fact that they have pretty bad hip flares. I know they'll come down a bit with wear, but is this something a tailor could fix? Anybody have any success with it? Thanks!

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a navy wool suit for a (broke) college student (e.g. for interviews, weddings, etc.).

Uniqlo regular Tasmanian Wool suit or +J (which fits much slimmer)? Or does anybody have any other suggestions for a reliable suit that isn't too hard on the wallet?

Thanks!

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Kind of an odd question, but I have a pair of denim that I really like aside from the fact that they have pretty bad hip flares. I know they'll come down a bit with wear, but is this something a tailor could fix? Anybody have any success with it? Thanks!

What is hip flare?

Coronaeus

Reaction score
Pocket square question:

Is one meant to remove the labels on pocket squares before wearing them? I acquired a couple recently as I look to improve my wardrobe and they have rather obtrusive labels. In the past I would have removed them in a heartbeat, but thanks to this forum, I've learned that good clothing has resale value and i don't want to 'anonymize' the pieces to diminish their potential resale value.

Every time I try to place them, the tag seems to interfere. Again, I'm still new to their use, so i may simply be incompetent.

Thanks.

hellodocks

Reaction score

I need a recommendation for a navy wool suit for a (broke) college student (e.g. for interviews, weddings, etc.).

Uniqlo regular Tasmanian Wool suit or +J (which fits much slimmer)? Or does anybody have any other suggestions for a reliable suit that isn't too hard on the wallet?

Thanks!
Use Gilt. That's what I did when I was in your situation. Got a Calvin Klein and a Tommy Hilfiger suit for $200 a piece, relatively crummy OTR but for the price and the need it sufficed. Or, wait for sales at Bloomingdales/Nordstrom/Saks etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NO. Do not buy any suit that you can't try on first. You will be sorry. Go to Brooks Brothers during a sale on their 1818 line.

freedom_fries

Reaction score

NO. Do not buy any suit that you can't try on first. You will be sorry. Go to Brooks Brothers during a sale on their 1818 line.

i kind of disagree, as long as you have bought suits before and know what you're looking for in terms of cut and sizing - i have a couple very well-fitting OTRs that I got without trying them on first.

that said, in this instance i would follow this advice.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it is the same brand and model, then yes of course. If you have no idea what you're doing then no way, Jose.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pocket square question:

Is one meant to remove the labels on pocket squares before wearing them? I acquired a couple recently as I look to improve my wardrobe and they have rather obtrusive labels. In the past I would have removed them in a heartbeat, but thanks to this forum, I've learned that good clothing has resale value and i don't want to 'anonymize' the pieces to diminish their potential resale value.

Every time I try to place them, the tag seems to interfere. Again, I'm still new to their use, so i may simply be incompetent.

Thanks.
I have the same question, so I am interested what the opinions are on this topic.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i keep seeing this on ebay...
why do people bid HIGHER than the actual dollar amount on a gift card for sale?
wtf...
i see $400 gift card selling for $415... $250 gc selling for $258 ... etc.
i don't get it

is there some sort of scam? some way of paying less that i don't know about?
or are these people just really stupid and get caught up in the bidding war?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads