• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks. Does it mean they once were, but are no longer, like an orphaned jacket, or just any dress trouser that's sold on its own?

Either one, but if it was clearly a part of a suit (for instance, subtle windowpane or any pinstripe), it may as well go to goodwill - you're not going to be able to wear them on their own.

Spurious

Reaction score

Thanks! Yes, pants do need to be tapered but not enough time until Saturday :(

Would get them tapered, not that much, but still a bit.
And also, my tailor would be able to get it done by the end of the week, maybe ask him for a one time favor and if necessary pay a premium.

Kira

Reaction score
Either one, but if it was clearly a part of a suit (for instance, subtle windowpane or any pinstripe), it may as well go to goodwill - you're not going to be able to wear them on their own.

Nope, you can wear windowpane trousers. Same goes for hounds tooth, checkered, plaid, etc. But those are more difficult to pair. Unfortunately, I have about three pinstripes in my wardrobe (when I was a young sartorial neophyte). I might just put them in a box... or Ebay.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atlanta SFers: who is your cobbler of choice? I'm looking for a good cobbler to resole some of my leather soled boots to a more durable sole (leather just doesn't cut it for outdoor work) and to have someone work on my more expensive footwear in general, and I'm having trouble finding an acceptable answer. I've heard Bennie's, Trio, Midtown Shoe Repair... but none of them actually seem to stand out. What are your experiences?

I've asked the guys at Sid Mashburn and they said "Bennie's for small repairs" and for complex repairs they send it out off to New York, and shipping off my boots isn't something that's particularly appealing to me.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Agree with everything, but they dont add much to the conversation nor contain anything most of us won't agree with, though with a lot more unneccessary vehemence.
I can't tell from that one, but I think it could possibly be one of those jackets (forget the name) that does drape properly with both buttoned. That actually seems fairly likely, given that he has a "following." Most people who are interested in menswear know not to button the bottom button.

Incidentally, he looks sort of dumb, bottom button done or not. The pants aren't my thing. Also, I would say that comments like this directed at a style blogger are entirely appropriate. I wouldn't say he looks dumb to his face, but the internet is not a hugbox, and I think there's less of an obligation to be gentle with someone who puts himself forward with confidence, saying "this is good," than there is with someone who's just asking for advice and information.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nope, you can wear windowpane trousers. Same goes for hounds tooth, checkered, plaid, etc. But those are more difficult to pair. Unfortunately, I have about three pinstripes in my wardrobe (when I was a young sartorial neophyte). I might just put them in a box... or Ebay.

How subtle are we talking about, here? I mean, there are some windowpanes that seem (to me, at least) exclusively the province of a suit. The stuff on the left is bold enough that it could (imo) be worn as a trouser alone without looking out of place. The one on the right seems a bit too subtle and restrained - it looks like it belongs on a suit.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one on the right seems a bit too subtle and restrained - it looks like it belongs on a suit.

I don't think the one on the right belongs on ANYTHING.

That said, even linen trousers in a complex plaid (like Prince of Wales) in tan would look great with for instance a white polo shirt.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't think the one on the right belongs on ANYTHING.

That said, even linen trousers in a complex plaid (like Prince of Wales) in tan would look great with for instance a white polo shirt.

I didn't say I liked it, just that it's a suit-y pattern.
tounge.gif
And yeah, I agree that complex plaid can look fine. I have some glen check tweed pants that I adore. But if the pattern is too subtle, it looks (imo) like part of a suit.

Kira

Reaction score
How subtle are we talking about, here? I mean, there are some windowpanes that seem (to me, at least) exclusively the province of a suit. The stuff on the left is bold enough that it could (imo) be worn as a trouser alone without looking out of place. The one on the right seems a bit too subtle and restrained - it looks like it belongs on a suit.

Okay, that I agree. I should've been more specific on my post.

Kira

Reaction score
For DB jackets (given that they have peak lapels), do they look best with a Full Winsdor tie knot and spread collar?

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For DB jackets (given that they have peak lapels), do they look best with a Full Winsdor tie knot and spread collar?

I personally think a double four-in-hand is your best choice with a spread collar, and I have to admit I usually go with a spread collar with my db jacket.

Kira

Reaction score
I personally think a double four-in-hand is your best choice with a spread collar, and I have to admit I usually go with a spread collar with my db jacket.

Double four-in-hand? isn't that three or four wraps around the tie? Wait, don't four-in-hand knots look best with a button down?

Another question: what about the exotic knots?

Trinity Knot

Elderidge Knot

Floating Spiral Knot

Glennie Double Knot

Krasny Hourglass Knot

Cape Knot

Onassis Knot

I'm not trolling here. Undoubtedly, these won't be acceptable in any business environment. The Onassis knot is the worst one out of this bunch. Either that or wearing two ties simultaneously.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Double four-in-hand? isn't that three or four wraps around the tie? Wait, don't four-in-hand knots look best with a button down?

Another question: what about the exotic knots?

Snip pictures

Double four-in-hand is two wraps around, blade of the tie goes underneath both of them. More than two wraps around and the knot starts getting chunky and gross. I find that full (and to a lesser extent half) windsor knots are too lifeless. The double four-in-hand is big enough for a spread collar and asymmetrical enough to have a bit of life in it.

I really, really don't like those "exotic" knots.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member