• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Definitely plain navy or plain grey/charcoal. And stay away from peak lapels if it's your first suit.

My recommendation in order of importance:

Staples:
1. Plain navy
2. Plain grey/charcoal

Semi-Staples
3. Pinstripes
4. Window pane

Non-staples but fun to own/wear
5. Chalk stripes
6. Peak lapels

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is a lambswool v neck sweater casual, or can it be worn more formally? (Some people have said its casual because it's thicker than merino or casual)

DjangoV

Reaction score
Listen to this man. There is nothing wrong with a 3 button, especially if it's 3 roll 2. And if you find a piece you like that fits well at a good price, you'll figure out ways to wear it if you have it.
The jacket kept going through my mind today, so just had to go and get it:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/88800#post_6807236

Worst case scenario it sits in my closet for a few weeks until I am totally sure what to combine it with. Think it wont stay in the closet long. Just gonna wear it with jeans and a dress shirt for now I guess.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This goes along with what Django posted, but is there an easy way to iron lapels to make a 3 button a 3 roll 2?

And @DjangoV , wear it with khaki's, cords, jeans, whatever!

Last edited:

loarbmhs

Reaction score

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So looks like he can make that 3 button behave like a 3 roll 2. I think that'd be worth a shot!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

deadAngle

Reaction score
So looks like he can make that 3 button behave like a 3 roll 2. I think that'd be worth a shot!
Except the jacket he demoed was cut as a 3 roll 2 to begin with, with the inside of the top buttonhole finished instead of the outside. The problems you run into are in the angle the lapel attaches to the collar and the canvas inside the lapel. The canvas, if properly constructed, is tacked onto the bottom of the lapel and no position you put it in will change where the canvas is attached versus free. The angle of the collar will create ripples or unnatural shapes if you press it into a configuration it wasn't designed for. I've seen multiple jackets with these kinds of lapel conversions (a 4x1 into a 4x2 as well) and unless you get a tailor to adjust the collar, the canvas, and the buttonhole finish, it will not turn out well.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, but what made you think so?
The guy that runs that blog has a store down the street from me. Haven't made it there yet, but I'll probably go check it out soon.

SuitsHarvey

Reaction score
Definitely plain navy or plain grey/charcoal. And stay away from peak lapels if it's your first suit.

My recommendation in order of importance:

Staples:
1. Plain navy
2. Plain grey/charcoal

Semi-Staples
3. Pinstripes
4. Window pane

Non-staples but fun to own/wear
5. Chalk stripes
6. Peak lapels

Thanks a lot for your advice. So I'll focus on a navy or grey/charcoal suit. Which one would you prefer? Both colors are fine for business of course, but some people say navy is better for the first suit and others say you should go for charcoal. What are the pros and cons of the colors? I have really dark hair and a pretty pale skin color if it's relevant.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A windowpane is much less mainstream and more casual than a chalk stripe (the stockbroker's favourite). And peak lapels are not only perfectly normal as an option, they are essential if one of your suits is double-breasted. Just stick to a medium width for wearability.

But the main premise: navy, charcoal, then other blues and greys, is sound. Along with pin and chalk stripes, and long before windowpanes (fashionable right now, but country in origin), are other textures: herringbones, nailheads etc. But the pin and chalk stripes are more formal and "city".

JayLefler

Reaction score
I sure hope someone can help me here. Is this outfit coordinated properly? I hope the pants aren't too light. Also which pair of socks should I wear?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your advice. So I'll focus on a navy or grey/charcoal suit. Which one would you prefer? Both colors are fine for business of course, but some people say navy is better for the first suit and others say you should go for charcoal. What are the pros and cons of the colors? I have really dark hair and a pretty pale skin color if it's relevant.

I am by no means an expert. I do not wear suits daily, as I'm an athletic trainer, so I guess this is a hobby for me. So, take that into account when considering my opinion. Having said that, my general thought is that navy is a bit of a nicer day to day suit, but charcoal is slightly more versatile. I tend to say navy for a first suit, charcoal for an only suit. Since you're (I assume) planning to buy more than one, in relatively short order, I would start with navy. In a Styleforum article on this topic, the author makes the very good point that a patterned suit is easily recognizable, and people will likely notice if you wear it very often, which means they will notice you do not have many suits. Solids are much less prone to this problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads