• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,

Wondering if I can get some help pricing a couple of men's pre-owned sweaters?  

1. Men's Bachrach Polo Style Sweater, Size M, Made in Italy, 40% Acrylic, 30% Cotton, 30% Wool
  2. Men's Idea Uomo Cardigan Sweater, Size L, Made in Italy, 70% Acrylic, 30% Wool

Thanks

Start them on e-bay for $5 and let them go as high as they will. Neither of them are good sweaters, you shouldn't expect too much.

IChen

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for custom shirts? I'm currently looking for 1-2 nice shirts that will actually fit me better (since I'm so skinny
ffffuuuu.gif
and I already go slim fit) than the RTW I buy at stores. I'm looking to order one with Mina and NSM but does anyone have other suggestions?

Laundry Troll

Reaction score
Joseph A Bank has a doorbuster sale today on their merino wool topcoats for $99. Are they worth it? I've definitely been in the market for one and the price is ridiculous.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Joseph A Bank has a doorbuster sale today on their merino wool topcoats for $99. Are they worth it? I've definitely been in the market for one and the price is ridiculous.

It doesn't look bad on the website but I've never been impressed by JAB products in the past. And don't rely on the "sale" vs. retail price of $450. I doubt that coat was ever sold for $450. JAB is notorious for misleading sales.

But if you don't have a topcoat, can't wait to peruse ebay or the B&S, can't save money for anything better, and have already visited your local thrift shops and come back empty-handed then go ahead.

Last edited:

Jhors2

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for custom shirts? I'm currently looking for 1-2 nice shirts that will actually fit me better (since I'm so skinny
ffffuuuu.gif
and I already go slim fit) than the RTW I buy at stores. I'm looking to order one with Mina and NSM but does anyone have other suggestions?
I have a handful of different things to say. First of all, I would recommend Luxire, Solosso, or Modern Tailor to get some custom shirts made to your size without breaking the bank. Beyond that if you like some more hand stitched good really slim fit stuff, Borelli, Barba, and Zegna all make some great RTW shirts with some better fabrics that are slim fit (I am in the same boat, about a 17" waist on my shirts but an 18" shoulder, its tough to find good shirts). Find one shirt that fits you well, then take all the measurements and tweak them a touch if necessary.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are wool ties supposed to be skinny or at least thinner than regular silk ties? I am trying to buy a check wool tie, but most of the ones I find are probably 3" or maybe 2.75". I usually wear a 3.25-3.5" tie.

E TF

Reaction score

Does anyone have suggestions for custom shirts? I'm currently looking for 1-2 nice shirts that will actually fit me better (since I'm so skinny :fu:  and I already go slim fit) than the RTW I buy at stores. I'm looking to order one with Mina and NSM but does anyone have other suggestions?

Where do you live, what's your budget?

Are wool ties supposed to be skinny or at least thinner than regular silk ties? I am trying to buy a check wool tie, but most of the ones I find are probably 3" or maybe 2.75". I usually wear a 3.25-3.5" tie.

Yes I think they look better a little thinner than silk ties. Not quite sure why though.

IChen

Reaction score
Where do you live, what's your budget?

Boston. My budgets around 600-700. Would like to get 2 shirts for that price though. I'm unsure about Zegna and their fit since their suits aren't slim at all, so I'm guessing their shirts won't be as slim fit? I've tried Thomas Pink but returned since I didn't really enjoy the quality for the price.
I think I might try Napoli Su Misure when she comes to Boston next week. Are Charvet RTW worth the $300 price? After this, going to start ordering from Luxire instead of RTW shirts
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm just looking for 1-2 really well fitting shirts for more important occasions. Thanks

E TF

Reaction score

Boston. My budgets around 600-700. Would like to get 2 shirts for that price though. I'm unsure about Zegna and their fit since their suits aren't slim at all, so I'm guessing their shirts won't be as slim fit? I've tried Thomas Pink but returned since I didn't really enjoy the quality for the price.
I think I might try Napoli Su Misure when she comes to Boston next week. Are Charvet RTW worth the $300 price? After this, going to start ordering from Luxire instead of RTW shirts :fu:
I'm just looking for 1-2 really well fitting shirts for more important occasions. Thanks

Well I've never tried NSM's shirts, but many SF members seem happy with them. But be warned you might find it hard to go back once you've tried proper bespoke...

Mr Whitebeard

Reaction score
Right, so this is more complex and subtle than it at first appeared. Can we agree, in our advice to this chap, that the sock should not be of a lighter shade than the lighter of the two things next to it?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Right, so this is more complex and subtle than it at first appeared. Can we agree, in our advice to this chap, that the sock should not be of a lighter shade than the lighter of the two things next to it?

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2010/04/on-shoes-and-socks.html

Will has answered this many times and I think his advice is spot on.

On dressier occasions socks should be similar to the trouser, not the shoe, and that includes texture as well as color. Wear heavier weight gray socks with heavier gray trousers, and lighter weight navy versions with lighter weight blue. Slightly more advanced dressers may add a contrasting pattern in that similar color and texture. A large herringbone works nicely. A vertical stripe begins to get a bit racy.

When proper sobriety is not required, all bets are off. Socks might pick up the color of something above the waist like the jacket or the pattern in a necktie, or just generally complement without matching like the light gray birdseyes in the photo.

Jhors2

Reaction score
I think I might try Napoli Su Misure when she comes to Boston next week. Are Charvet RTW worth the $300 price? After this, going to start ordering from Luxire instead of RTW shirts
ffffuuuu.gif

RTW Zegnas can be really slim fit if you find the right ones, the best thing to do is go to the boutique and have them take a look at what fits you appropriately. The only downside I see with Luxire right now is the fabric selection, but if all you are concerned about is fit then get something custom, you can get much more than 2 shirts for that kind of price range.

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
Hi again all, I know this has been addressed here, but I wanted to be sure.

I just purchased a really nice pair of used burgundy cordovan Allen Edmonds loafers and they need a little care. I brought them to AE and the rep there sold me some cordovan shoe care cream. Fine. Now I'm hearing that you should NEVER use cream and should only stick to wax when it comes to cordovan.

Any opinions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

EDIT:

I can see from browsing here that his is a very debatable topic. I'll just go with the cream for now (since I already own it) and perhaps order the wax for the future.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads