• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armani Tuxedo for my wedding

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neckties are not acceptable with tuxedos. Not even close. In terms of historical heinousness, this is comparable to a frilly shirt. The black bow tie flatters all men.

There's also the question of why one would buy Armani, but it's a sunk cost now.

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knezz
If the wedding is after 6PM - why don't you think a tuxedo should be worn?

Of course, if it's a evening wedding it would be better/accepted.
I have mistankenly assumed that it was a day wedding, as that's the only form of wedding we have here. An evening wedding is simply not possible in Denmark.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ventless Tuxedo is correct, and if its the Giorgio Armani Fatto a mano su misura, there is nothing wrong with that. I own Brioni, Attolini, and even a Tom ford suit all purchaced at discount of course but i would seriously consider paying retail for a Armani fatto a mano so i dont know why the OP is getting flak for that. Even the Collizoni (sp?) stuff is being made by Zegna now i think.

To The OP it is YOUR wedding, who cares if its before 6pm or not. If you want it black tie (Tuxedo) then you set the dress code. If you want the bridal party in banana suits then thats also your choice. But i do have to agree with the rest in that if you want to wear a tuxedo use a black bow tie, it just takes a little practice and really does look alot more elegant than a necktie especially worn with a dinner jacket. Remember that your lapels are not the same as on a suit jacket so the black bow tie would complement it alot more. Not sure about the Ferragamos, post a picture. Not bashing the brand or anything just want to see if it would go well with black tie. Also if you are doing a pocket square make sure its not white silk. Either white linen or off white i.e cream silk.

knezz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
An evening wedding is simply not possible in Denmark.
Why is it a challenge in Denmark?

Originally Posted by jeff13007
To The OP it is YOUR wedding, who cares if its before 6pm or not. If you want it black tie (Tuxedo) then you set the dress code.
Exactly!!

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knezz
Why is it a challenge in Denmark?
I actually don't think the chuch perform weddings in the evening, and I know that the townhall doesn't. Those are the 2 choices you have here.
I'm not 100% sure about the church, but I have never ever heard of anybody getting married in the evening in Denmark.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
The problem is not that's it's armani and ventless (yeah well ok, perhaps).

Dinner jackets are meant to be ventless.

The problem is that it is a tuxedo and IMO should therefore not be worn to a wedding.

Americans mostly get married in the evening. I don't get it either but they do. And in such a case there's nothing wrong with a dinner suit. If, however, the OP's ceremony is in broad daylight he should rethink.

It's even worse with a necktie....

Agreed. Long tie with evening clothes is BAD, BAD, BAD.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elapsed
Hey everyone, my wedding is coming up in May.. I'm a bit overwhelmed with picking out my tuxedo!

A little background.. I'm 30, 5'9, slim build. I typically wear Hugo Boss or Zegna suits. Just purchased my first made-to-measure tuxedo, a black Armani, single button, peaked lapel, surgeon's cuffs, ventless.

Also getting a made-to-measure white shirt with french cuffs, and picked out a skinny black Hugo Boss tie.

A few questions..

1. I decided not to wear a vest as I was worried I would get too hot with so many layers. As for ties, I'm torn between having a skinny tie with a four-in-hand knot or purchasing a more normal sized tie in which I can get a nice dimple?

2. Is a black tie appropriate for a wedding? Or should I be throwing in some colour? I would be matching the black tie with a white pocket square. Also, any other brands of tie I should consider?

3. My best man is a woman.. she'll be wearing a grey/silver dress. Should I be matching my tie to her dress? Also the bridesmaid's will be wearing a Tiffany blue with a brown accent if this helps any

4. For shoes I am thinking of wearing my day-to-day Ferragamo dress shoes. I'll get new heals and soles for the occasion. Will these do or should I consider purchasing new shoes just for the tuxedo?

5. Cufflinks, any design or style I should consider?

6. Pocket square, what fold style should I wear?

Many thanks,
elapsed

First off, to that guy that said ventless is bad, you don't know what you're talking about. Ventless is the classic tuxedo.

Understand that the tux has been so butchered over the years that what is "traditional" at this point is something almost arcane. But here's my advice:

Your tux sounds great. No vest is good. Get a black cummerbund and a black self-tie bowtie, rock your white linen pocket square, and you'll be classically and elegantly dressed. For extra points, make sure your bowtie and cummerbund match the lapels of the tux, e.g. satin vs. grosgrain. If it's an MTM tux you'll clearly outshine everyone else at your wedding.

By no means are you supposed to be trying to match anyone. So don't. Except for any flowers you may be asked to wear... I confess I don't know what the official line is on boutonierres.

I think purists would say you should have a proper tux shirt, e.g. detachable collar and a pique front bib, with single cuffs, but I think common sense dictates that a nice white shirt even with double French cuffs is fine. Wear classic cufflinks, e.g. silver or black, maybe do something slightly funky there if you like.

I'm not personally a stickler on the shoes like some others. I hate patent leather shoes, so maybe that plays into my opinion. If you wanted to get fancy, you could wear formal pumps, but I personally don't think normal black shoes are offensive, as long as the design is very clean and they are polished to a high shine.

It's probably a good time to introduce what I would guess is one of the best one-stop shops for wedding day attire, a piece done by StyleForumite Manton, which gets pretty close to the heart of what is "classic." A lot of the info I've provided here probably derives originally from that article.

Good luck, congratulations, have fun!

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
does it even look like a dinner jacket? i've seen some armani tuxedos that look like black suits. i do like the looser pants though and the general silhouette of most of them. so good choice.

since your shirt seems to be appropriate just get a black bowtie w/ cummerbund and perhaps a dress set if you don't have one yet and i think you're all set. the ferragamos if they're slip ons perhaps get a new pair. if they're black captoes might as well use them. just polish them.

pocket square and gardenia/carnation would be nice too for the occasion.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
It's probably a good time to introduce what I would guess is one of the best one-stop shops for wedding day attire, a piece done by StyleForumite Manton, which gets pretty close to the heart of what is "classic." A lot of the info I've provided here probably derives originally from that article.

That is a great article! Thanks for linking.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, the only tuxedo that should be worn is the powder blue one your dad wore on his wedding day.

If the future Mrs Smith crosses my path and we decide to make it official, I will spring for a bespoke charcoal three piece suit from Bulloch Tailors and aim for understated elegance.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
First off, to that guy that said ventless is bad, you don't know what you're talking about. Ventless is the classic tuxedo.

Understand that the tux has been so butchered over the years that what is "traditional" at this point is something almost arcane. But here's my advice:

Your tux sounds great. No vest is good. Get a black cummerbund and a black self-tie bowtie, rock your white linen pocket square, and you'll be classically and elegantly dressed. For extra points, make sure your bowtie and cummerbund match the lapels of the tux, e.g. satin vs. grosgrain. If it's an MTM tux you'll clearly outshine everyone else at your wedding.

By no means are you supposed to be trying to match anyone. So don't. Except for any flowers you may be asked to wear... I confess I don't know what the official line is on boutonierres.

I think purists would say you should have a proper tux shirt, e.g. detachable collar and a pique front bib, with single cuffs, but I think common sense dictates that a nice white shirt even with double French cuffs is fine. Wear classic cufflinks, e.g. silver or black, maybe do something slightly funky there if you like.

I'm not personally a stickler on the shoes like some others. I hate patent leather shoes, so maybe that plays into my opinion. If you wanted to get fancy, you could wear formal pumps, but I personally don't think normal black shoes are offensive, as long as the design is very clean and they are polished to a high shine.

Good luck, congratulations, have fun!

OP: Ignore all other posts and just read the one quoted above.
teacha.gif

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
larsrindsig;3009916 said:
Americans mostly get married in the evening. I don't get it either but they do. And in such a case there's nothing wrong with a dinner suit. If, however, the OP's ceremony is in broad daylight he should rethink.
QUOTE]

Hmmm... Actually, in my vast wedding attending experience, most American weddings take place in the afternoon. Though most of the weddings I've attended have been Catholic ceremonies. So maybe my data is biased.

See I think the formal guideline folks dance around the most common American wedding attire pickle: the ceremony occurs in the sunlight, but the reception is in the evening. According to The Rules, we need to own two sets of formalwear and be able to change in between. That's all very inconvenient, so we tend to dress with an eye for the evening event and ignore morning wear.

Who am I kidding? I've never been to a wedding where anyone looked as if they were actually concerned about any of this, but there it is.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elapsed
4. Tuxedo with a neck tie.. I felt that I look silly in a bow tie.
Don't be afraid of bow ties. Take a look at some of the pictures of KtownGreg and how he rocks them in the WAYWT thread.

elapsed

Reaction score
Hi guys, thank you for all of the input. A few comments: 1. The shoes are Ferragamo Palace, these are not patent leather but look beautiful with a shine. I found this picture:
9819b37_19.jpeg
2. The wedding is at 11am at a very elegant manor built in 1911, followed by photographs, tea ceremony at 5pm (she is Chinese, I'm Jewish), dinner and cocktails beginning at 6pm. Unfortunately I won't have any opportunity to change formalwear during the day. Such is life. 3. The pocket square I chose out is off-white/cream coloured silk Here in Vancouver I think I would feel underdressed if I just wore a dark suit to my wedding. This is far too typical of my normal daily attire. However I'm feeling more convinced on the self-tie bowtie, I will give this a try once my tuxedo arrives. In the end I will wear whatever I feel most comfortable in, the most important thing for me is to be relaxed and confident on the day of my wedding. cheers, elapsed

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to swim against the tide here dissing you for wearing a DJ at your wedding, even if it is before lunch.

First, wearing a DJ at an evening wedding is perfectly OK. Indeed, what other formalwear, short of the now-nearly-mythical white tie, would be appropriate?

Second, there should be an exception to the 6 pm black tie rule for weddings, especially if the reception is in the evening. First, anyone who is willing to splash out and get a classic DJ with all the appropriate trimmings ought to encouraged. DJ wearing, much less ownership, is all too rare as it is. Should we really be discouraging a potential convert because his wedding starts at 5pm instead of 6pm?

Second, won't someone think of the wedding pictures? If your wedding pictures feature you in a classical DJ, you will display them proudly at your 50th wedding anniversary and your great-grandchildren will regard you with awe as a dashing style icon. If you wear a charcoal suit, it won't be embarassing, but it won't be much of anything else, either.

I am normally a stickler for sartorial propriety. But some rules need to be at least bent. The 6pm rule made sense once upon a time when DJs really were "semi-formal" and people who wore such things had a vast array of sartorially-correct clothing for a variety of events, venues and times. Nowadays, it's quite different as we find ourselves engaged in a rearguard action against FIH ties and three-button "tuxedos."

So if people want to own classically-styled DJs and wear them at their weddings, I say more power to them. Someone who owns a DJ will start to look for reasons to wear it. Any little thing we can do to help reverse the trend against formal wear is a good thing, even if it means allowing someone to wear a DJ at 5pm . . . or hell, at 11:00 am.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM