• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ready to leave your country forever?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wess
[L]iving in Paris will be SO dissapointing.
Each to his own ... but I disagree. Some years back I spent a while living on the Avenue Montaigne ... in the "cellar" of Monsieur le Duc de La Rochefoucauld. The Dutchess used the rent money to have her hair done at a nearby salon ... every single day that salon was open. On the first of the month... the Dutchess herself would knock on the door and ask for the rent.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Each to his own ... but I disagree. Some years back I spent a while living on the Avenue Montaigne ... in the "cellar" of Monsieur le Duc de La Rochefoucauld. The Dutchess used the rent money to have her hair done at a nearby salon ... every single day that salon was open. On the first of the month... the Dutchess herself would knock on the door and ask for the rent.

That is a really great story. Reminds me of an old political cartoon from the 1800s featuring American heiresses surveying marriage prospects with titles of nobility but little financial means, in the style of a horse show. "German duke, crumbling castle on the Rhine, $20,000 OBO".

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spb_lady
I'm from Russia and I may say it's not a country that can give you wide view on the world. Due to our soviet period of history a lot of people still don't go out of the country or leave the country just for holidays once or twice a year. Very small amount of russians go to other countries for study or work as it is usual for europeans and americans. Though I think most of students go back home after finishing their universities in other countries.

I'm also thinking now about moving to another country... may be not forever, but anyway I have no plans to come back to Russia after. I'm kind of open minded person, but still think it won't be easy to get used.

What about you? Do you live in your original country now? If not, why have you moved from there and how long will stay away? What difficulties have you met while getting used to your new place in the world? Are you ready to leave your original country forever? Which country would you prefer for this?

answer would be yes if my country was considered 3rd world....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
answer would be yes if my country was considered 3rd world....
Odd ... I can tavel though 3rd world countries without a problem ... but let me stop in Paris, London, or Amsterdam on the way home ... and wham ... sick as a dog.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Odd ... I can tavel though 3rd world countries without a problem ... but let me stop in Paris, London, or Amsterdam on the way home ... and wham ... sick as a dog.

Probably has to do with encountering more people!!!!

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
Probably has to do with encountering more people!!!!

Because compared to "third world" countries, others are so overpopulated right?

I've never thought of that before, but I have never been sick when in "third world" countries. I got the standard issue of vaccines when I first started traveling to African countries (malaria, etc) but you get vaccines in "first world" countries as well. I have never had a cold, fever, flu, etc while in Africa/Asia/SA. I've caught colds in the middle of the summer here in the states. My mother just had a weird bout of fever/cold in early August and she barely travels.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
Because compared to "third world" countries, others are so overpopulated right?

I've never thought of that before, but I have never been sick when in "third world" countries. I got the standard issue of vaccines when I first started traveling to African countries (malaria, etc) but you get vaccines in "first world" countries as well. I have never had a cold, fever, flu, etc while in Africa/Asia/SA. I've caught colds in the middle of the summer here in the states.

This is so very true for me. I first began to notice it twenty years ago.

The three places I was so sick that I prayed to die ... Bern, Switzerland; Brugge, Belgium; & Healdsburg, California.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

Please forward me their number. Thx.

Kookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i live in what is probably the nicest place you can live and work in my industry. everwhere else is wartorn, opressive, really cold or houston.

i cant imagine myself leaving this place for ever. will do a few stints in the above locations for some experience soon tho.

Are you in Perth?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Please forward me their number.
They have a hôtel particulier right across from the Plaza Athenee. My last recollection it is shared with the Tunisian Embasy. You don't need to phone ahead ... just stop in and say hello when you find yourself in Paris. But don't park in the driveway ... or the Duc will look out the window and make a frantic shooing motion with his hands.

Per

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
Shto Takoye? Ni polu4ilas zhenitsa na oligarkeh?
Women don't zhenitsya...

I have left my native country for another European one. I don't want to stay here for the rest of my life but I might not return "home" either. Having studied German in school, fitting in was/is not a problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads