• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are we Grups?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
Sorry to necro this thread, but thought this was interesting: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/0...19-502-ak-0000

That article completely conflates "cognitive flexibility" and "immaturity". I'm not at all convinced that the one signifies the other, but whoever wrote the article seems to believe that it does. People may demonstrate both at certain points of development, but does that mean that in order to retain one, you have to retain the other? I don't see why it does.

Jetta

Reaction score
as LA Guy said, sounds like this guy is just trying to make a new name for Gen X. We are doing fine on our own, dont need any new labels.

Kid609

Reaction score
All the bands listed in the article are already old hat.

People stopped listening to Sufjan Stevens 2 years ago.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of the original article? I'd like to read it but the link isn't working anymore.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid609
All the bands listed in the article are already old hat. People stopped listening to Sufjan Stevens 2 years ago.
Hahahahaha...wait...no...hahahahahaha! Wait, did Illinoise not drop just last year? Come on, now! He name drops Death Cab and you have to call out his Suf-Jeeziness? Sufjan is the only one of those artists that is actually on an indie label (his own), which is relevant if you think of all the toting of labels such as yindie and whatnot. And why would you "stop" listening to something? Do you not listen to the Beatles and Velvets because they're old-hat? Anyway, I thought this article was pretty vapid. It tries to combine an aesthetic with a feeling of persona and it just doesn't work for me. And hate to break it to you, but grups are not the new generation x. I can walk around D.C. for hours on end and will see very little of these so-called "grups". I feel as if it's a sub-sect of generation x that can garner the hipster tag, that's all. Not trying to argue or offend anyone. I just think they're trying to put a label on a generational movement that only exists in very small numbers. Maybe some of you can relate, so it's like, "Yeah, high-five man!" But you also have to realize the denizens of this board aren't the general public. What do I know though? I'm only 21, does my generation even have an arbitrary label? If it does I hope people don't lump me into it.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Holy CRAP that article was five times longer than it should have been.
I thought the same thing. I read the first two pages and decided to finish it at work tomorrow. I'm 25, I don't think I can be a grup, but I undoubtedly will be. Everyone I work with is at least 10 years my senior... but bust my chops about designer jeans or nice shoes. My fiancee and I also made the decision NOT to have kids so that we can indulge and go on vacations and whatnot without worry... so I've pretty much chosen the self-centered lifestyle for the next 30 years, and I haven't a problem with it in the world.
wink.gif
I will say, however, that this article doesn't fit me to a T. I don't listen to punk, I don't wear Misfits t-shirts, and I have no idea who the bands he mentioned are. I listen to underground hip-hop (socially conscious, if you will) and dress however the f I want when I'm not bound by the constricts of business casual, which may include a silk-screened t-shirt with skulls and crossbones or a tucked in polo.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
My fiancee and I also made the decision NOT to have kids so that we can indulge and go on vacations and whatnot without worry... so I've pretty much chosen the self-centered lifestyle for the next 30 years, and I haven't a problem with it in the world.
wink.gif

welcome to the club. another reason why I could care less about global warming....in a perfect scenario a huge comet will hit the earth 2 days after I die. Such is the life of a hedo-existentialist.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole article but nothing they have stated so far fits. I hate all forms of rock be it punk or metal. I only listen to rap,reggae, r&b and jazz. I like jeans but wear khakis more and almost never wear sneakers unless playing squash or basketball. Mostly no one would ever consider me cool which most of these people seem to be or atleast are trying to be.

keal

Reaction score
Since I've dived into style forums, I've started to appreciate handmade things (never really cared before) and my deep-seeded fantasy is to do something like make leather wallets or sew jeans in a tiny little shop that people from all parts of the world come to visit.

Basically, I'm becoming less and less gadget-and-lifestyle oriented. How nice it would be to ride a bicycle to my little shop, then sit around all day doing my sewing thing, and having ridiculously cool people come in to try and buy my wares. I'd have a computer to play music and chat on the forums, but that's about it. I'd be so far removed from current trends and stuff. Just all into my little denim and leather universe
smile.gif

A budding retro-craftsman wanna-be? There's gotta be a better name for it
smile.gif

Or maybe just broaden the Grups definition?

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keal
Since I've dived into style forums, I've started to appreciate handmade things (never really cared before) and my deep-seeded fantasy is to do something like make leather wallets or sew jeans in a tiny little shop that people from all parts of the world come to visit.

Basically, I'm becoming less and less gadget-and-lifestyle oriented. How nice it would be to ride a bicycle to my little shop, then sit around all day doing my sewing thing, and having ridiculously cool people come in to try and buy my wares. I'd have a computer to play music and chat on the forums, but that's about it. I'd be so far removed from current trends and stuff. Just all into my little denim and leather universe
smile.gif

A budding retro-craftsman wanna-be? There's gotta be a better name for it
smile.gif

Or maybe just broaden the Grups definition?

Wow. Get out of my head.

mizanation

Reaction score
it's just a natural progression.

back in the day, people would die at 30.

now, people are younger and cooler for a longer time--not just physically, but mentally. blame advancements in technology, medicine, thinking, culture or whatever. i think it's pretty cool.

someoneNew

Reaction score
From what I see in Silicon Valley this is an extremely accurate article, as far as fashion, for adults in their 20s & 30s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads