• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are men who wear ties more successful?

TiesNecktie

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need your help with a little survey I created!

As some of you already know, I am a tie aficionado. I have always thought that wearing a tie brings much more benefits than just style. Curious to find out if there is indeed a correlation between wearing ties and ones income & success (among other things) I created a little survey.

Click the link below to fill out the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GHNYKSY

I very much appreciate your input!

shadowsnuzzy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need your help with a little survey I created!

As some of you already know, I am a tie aficionado. I have always thought that wearing a tie brings much more benefits than just style. Curious to find out if there is indeed a correlation between wearing ties and ones income & success (among other things) I created a little survey.

Click the link below to fill out the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GHNYKSY

I very much appreciate your input!
I think a bias this survey might have is the fact that many high paying white collar jobs have a dress code that requires a tie. It may not be so much that if you wear a tie you are more likely to be rich as it is if you are rich you are more likely to wear a tie.

TiesNecktie

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think a bias this survey might have is the fact that many high paying white collar jobs have a dress code that requires a tie. It may not be so much that if you wear a tie you are more likely to be rich as it is if you are rich you are more likely to wear a tie.
You bring up a good point!

To be honest, I am not sure if there is actually any correlation. The first step is to collect data. The more people participate, the easier it is to draw conclusions. It is not just about finding a correlation between wearing ties to one's income. We have already collected 400 surveys and already we see some interesting differences between how men's and women's perception of neckties vs bow ties for instance.

Once we get 1,000+ surveys filled out I will share the results! Thank you for your participation and input.

Cheers

Hendrik

Dnslater

Reaction score
Exactly. There is also a strong correlation between success and driving luxury automobiles, but driving one won't make me successful

TiesNecktie

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Exactly. There is also a strong correlation between success and driving luxury automobiles, but driving one won't make me successful
Hmmm, I think there is also a good argument that driving a nice car does make you more successful.

Here are two examples:
Imagine you work in Real Estate and drive around clients. I bet driving a nice car (like a new 5 series for example) will make you look more successful and accomplished. I bet that if you took two agents that have the same exact skill set, and one of them drives a newer BMW while the other drives a 10 year old Honda, that the one with the nicer car will get the first sale. Would you agree?

Here is another example: you pick up a girl you met for a first date...

TiesNecktie

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think the same can be said about ones clothes. For a good reason the saying "Dress to Impress" exists. Sadly, people subconsciously form opinions within the first few seconds of meeting someone. Things like eye contact, handshake, posture, as well as your clothes, do have an impact.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
correlation != causation

And, there must be tons more tie wearing servers and wait staff than tie-wearing billionaires, politicians, or immortalized artists.

What is your null?

Last edited:

Elegantly Wasted

Reaction score

Hmmm, I think there is also a good argument that driving a nice car does make you more successful.

Here are two examples:
Imagine you work in Real Estate and drive around clients. I bet driving a nice car (like a new 5 series for example) will make you look more successful and accomplished. I bet that if you took two agents that have the same exact skill set, and one of them drives a newer BMW while the other drives a 10 year old Honda, that the one with the nicer car will get the first sale. Would you agree?

Or, customers think that your fee is too high and try to bypass you.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never driven a car in my life and I've never had a problem with dates. I guess it depends what kind of person you are trying to impress... people who are impressed by cars are not really that interesting in my experience.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If someone had asked me"are men who wear ties more successful?"just before, I would say" you lost your mind? Of course not".But now ,I would say "yes", can you imagine when you go to work on Wall Street,wearing a t-shirt, jeans, sneakers, your colleagues staring straight to you ?it is not neccessary to wear expensive clothing ,but you must Coordinate it.

One of those hoodies and jean terrorists happens to be Zuck and is richer than 100% of the Wall Streeter of his age. In fact walk around San Francisco you see most startup multi millionaires without ties and I doubt many on the street are more successful. Suit and ties are not exactly the dress code...

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that some successful men don't wear ties has no effect on the likelihood of men who do wear ties being successful.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another point not mentioned is the kind of tie. Some people wear ties that make them look like downright idiots.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

correlation != causation

And, there must be tons more tie wearing servers and wait staff than tie-wearing billionaires, politicians, or immortalized artists.

What is your null?

As a scientist I do have to agree with where chogall is going. You can find numerous correlations and significant findings when you crunch data but it is important to really look at the validity. Not specific to ties, but there are numerous studies out there on how individuals are perceived based on appearance, clothing, etc.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are two examples:

If the 5 series driving guy sells houses in Flint, MI while the Honda driving agent sells cars in Newport Beach, CA, I would think the annual revenue would be different. Also, what is the correlation between the first sale to "more successful" because the 5 series driving agent may only have 1 (albeit the first) sale but the Honda driving agent may have 5 but not until later?

I think an interesting question is how do individuals in cultures where ties are not commonly worn associate success? Maybe it's not just a tie but the appearance? How do individuals in Western cultures (e.g., those that wear ties) associate success with individuals in cultures that do not wear ties?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads