• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Gurkha Trousers a Trend or Here to Stay?

soto_nw

Reaction score
I would add to my earlier statement to say, yes - I think they make the most sense as part of a more casual look. I don't know that I agree about the fact that they need to fit "loose", as I like even my jeans fairly tapered (not tight), but I think they do tend towards casual.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm afraid they're not for me, whatever the implications of that may be.

Personally think they're great boots and can't imagine someone judging whether they're "attractive" enough for them.

They have a chunky silhouette that sits well with wide-legged pants and very slim, slightly cropped jeans. Works with fatigues, chinos, jeans, etc.

But the whole outfit has to be casual and probably would be better categorized as an SWD type shoe.

47691254_2101935433183099_1256264379842571917_n.jpg
71824828_2459606867699115_2858823195003102804_n.jpg
vCfIi2U.jpg
47024520_205342930419014_4154755252405101554_n.jpg
73420459_615188032348390_8546418633478816620_n.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally think they're great boots and can't imagine someone judging whether they're "attractive" enough for them.

They have a chunky silhouette that sits well with wide-legged pants and very slim, slightly cropped jeans. Works with fatigues, chinos, jeans, etc.

But the whole outfit has to be casual and probably would be better categorized as an SWD type shoe.

They're a trend around my city because of that very reasoning, and that's why I don't bother with them - can't stand the narcissism.

Unless someone wants to give me another compelling reason for why relatively well-off, inner city women in leggings are consistently wearing Blundstones to the grocery store.

On men they come off somewhat differently, I agree, but still a bit rustic to my eye. I'd go for military boots with any of those outfits first.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't see anyone wearing these even five years from now. They scream fad.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think will replace it? Where is the industry heading as far as what's becoming the new fads and trends?

That I couldn't tell you. I just see this and think "wow, this looks like something that has a very short shelf life". I can't speak to where things will go a few years from now.

It's especially hard to say given that many people have been in sweat pants and boxer shorts for the last 9 months.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They're a trend around my city because of that very reasoning, and that's why I don't bother with them - can't stand the narcissism.

Unless someone wants to give me another compelling reason for why relatively well-off, inner city women in leggings are consistently wearing Blundstones to the grocery store.

lol wut

What a strange misogynistic comment esp on a forum dedicated to narcissism.

What do you think will replace it? Where is the industry heading as far as what's becoming the new fads and trends?

It's cliche, but I think you'd be better off figuring out what you think looks good, rather than trying to predict trends.

soto_nw

Reaction score
lol wut

It's cliche, but I think you'd be better off figuring out what you think looks good, rather than trying to predict trends.

Agree with both comments here - though on the first one - some of us like to think of this forum as a place to learn, get advice, just chat with others - but point taken on the "dedicated to narcissism".

On the second one, also agree, though that can be difficult given that so many people discuss "right" and "wrong."

For example, I can say - that I am not a fan of the boots you posted. I see why they are popular, and see why work well with certain silhouettes. However, I do not like very loose, or more rounded silhouettes on myself personally. I'd feel chunky in those boots, and thus uncomfortable, thus they don't appeal to me.

Yet, you or others may respond and say "well you just don't see it" or that I may lack taste and that I should really try it.....thus the "trust your eye" stuff can be hard because there are such strong options in this menswear world.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the second one, also agree, though that can be difficult given that so many people discuss "right" and "wrong."

For example, I can say - that I am not a fan of the boots you posted. I see why they are popular, and see why work well with certain silhouettes. However, I do not like very loose, or more rounded silhouettes on myself personally. I'd feel chunky in those boots, and thus uncomfortable, thus they don't appeal to me.

Yet, you or others may respond and say "well you just don't see it" or that I may lack taste and that I should really try it.....thus the "trust your eye" stuff can be hard because there are such strong options in this menswear world.

I agree. Lots of ways up the mountain. People can just find their own path.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol wut

I suggest you take care how you throw around accusations. Nothing in that comment suggested hating women, and it was specifically meant to contrast how women wear their Blundstones as opposed to how you proposed they ought to be worn.

Unless you're implying that the Blundstone trend is not, in fact, mostly inspired and sported by women, who very fashion-forwardly began the trend of wearing them in the city in the first place - in which case you're not only erasing the influence of women on modern menswear, but also hilariously behind the times.

Last edited:

soto_nw

Reaction score
I agree. Lots of ways up the mountain. People can just find their own path.

I think you and others give wonderful advice btw, but for someone like me who's still figuring out their look (and lacks confidence sometimes, generally - which is really my problem and no one else's) it can be hard.

I do want to thank you for the knowledge you are willing to share here and on your blog.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sallydaveis