• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Yeah, but attached to that above you see in the pictures is the midsole, right, and then to this the outsole is stitched. As I mentioned above, the midsole is the key.

I see your point - the midsole essentially serves as a proxy for the insole. But as I said - once you cement on a rubber outsole and the original outsole is now a midsole - presto you have stitchdown!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see your point - the midsole essentially serves as a proxy for the insole. But as I said - once you cement on a rubber outsole and the original outsole is now a midsole - presto you have stitchdown!

Hehe yeah sure, maybe they can just add rubber topys and re-launch these faulty shoes as "city stitchdown construction" or something ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had you more like the AM type :D

I like dress shoes, but for country shoes/boots I really like CJ, I have been searching a CJ Pembroke/Alden LWB/CJ Ashdown handwelt equivalent.

There are handwelt option, but some are too sleek, some are just "too itaian" not english country

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still don't understand why they describe their sneakers as Goodyear welted. It seems like the same Margom cup construction as CPs and some boat shoes.

you can ask them, I have seen the video, basically tells you not enough info to say anything, think the last thing is they're checking with the maker.

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score
re : https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...-welted-dress-shoes-gmto.654801/post-10278901

Came here from a post on reddit and oh my. I would've had opinions on the less than gracious responses in real time, but looking back on it after reading through this thread... wew lad. i feel like i just got done watching trash TV.

> That is why I am not a quack and you are one.

hahahhahah oh fade me that's a top tier moment in my SF canon. do things get testy that fast around here or have i just been casually dropping in on the nice places?

Last edited:

deliku

Reaction score
I find this interesting. If I’m understanding correctly, you’re basically saying these AoL shoes are one step away from being stitchdown constructed dress shoes without nails because the uppers are turned outwards.

By the same token though, if the uppers had been turned inwards they would be no different than typical cement constructed shoes with a faux welt like so:
B3915471-C191-4F03-A7FD-86E655B1FDFD.png

Interesting to think about but probably pointless in the end. The whole point of any stitched construction is to allow for ease of resoling and the bottom line is these AoL shoes would not be easy to resole since the outsole is cemented to the uppers.

boot_owl

Reaction score
I find this interesting. If I’m understanding correctly, you’re basically saying these AoL shoes are one step away from being stitchdown constructed dress shoes without nails because the uppers are turned outwards.

By the same token though, if the uppers had been turned inwards they would be no different than typical cement constructed shoes with a faux welt like so:
View attachment 1574387

Interesting to think about but probably pointless in the end. The whole point of any stitched construction is to allow for ease of resoling and the bottom line is these AoL shoes would not be easy to resole since the outsole is cemented to the uppers.

the important part about the uppers being turned outwards is that it is then stitched to the outsole, which makes it similar to stitchdown. It isn’t super important where the nails begin either in making it distinct from stitchdown. The only real variations are the lack of midsole and the fake welt on top of the turned out upper, which can help protect the upper from damage.

As far as resoling goes, it’s identical to doing a full stitchdown resole (ie removing midsole too, as well as cork. Yes, resoling a construction with turned out upper is more difficult and more risky than resoling on a welt, but that’s not unique to Archibalds construction.

To be clear, I think that this construction is inferior to handwelt and that the factory has behaved terribly with its deception. I’ve also never been particularly interested in the handwelted Archibald product. If it seems like I’m defending them a lot, I would say that I’m more trying to correct the many inaccuracies being perpetuated here. It is not a cemented construction, because the upper is stitched to the sole. It doesn’t matter if the upper is also cemented to the sole, so long as it is stitched it is a stitched construction.
I’m pretty sure this is identical to Zeb’s sandwich veldtschoen/lotus veldtschoen.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the important part about the uppers being turned outwards is that it is then stitched to the outsole, which makes it similar to stitchdown. It isn’t super important where the nails begin either in making it distinct from stitchdown. The only real variations are the lack of midsole and the fake welt on top of the turned out upper, which can help protect the upper from damage.

As far as resoling goes, it’s identical to doing a full stitchdown resole (ie removing midsole too, as well as cork. Yes, resoling a construction with turned out upper is more difficult and more risky than resoling on a welt, but that’s not unique to Archibalds construction.

To be clear, I think that this construction is inferior to handwelt and that the factory has behaved terribly with its deception. I’ve also never been particularly interested in the handwelted Archibald product. If it seems like I’m defending them a lot, I would say that I’m more trying to correct the many inaccuracies being perpetuated here. It is not a cemented construction, because the upper is stitched to the sole. It doesn’t matter if the upper is also cemented to the sole, so long as it is stitched it is a stitched construction.
I’m pretty sure this is identical to Zeb’s sandwich veldtschoen/lotus veldtschoen.

does it matter if it's glue hold things together?

boot_owl

Reaction score
does it matter if it's glue hold things together?
I mean in GYW the upper and welt are attached to the insole by glue too? Glue is used everywhere in footwear, it is really a key material whether it be handwelted bespoke or a pair of Nikes. It’s not inferior on its own, it’s only inferior when it’s the sole source of connection IMO.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair point, but I would think there is a degree of difference. I didn't de construct this shoe, but would your opinion be the same if the rapid stich is removed and the glue still held everything together "just fine" (or that's not possible?)

boot_owl

Reaction score
Fair point, but I would think there is a degree of difference. I didn't de construct this shoe, but would your opinion be the same if the rapid stich is removed and the glue still held everything together "just fine" (or that's not possible?)
I don’t think it would stay attached long if the stitching was removed and the sole was only attached to the upper by glue at the turned out points. Maybe if the whole upper was turned in and then cemented (with a larger surface to apply glue) to the sole.
That said, remove the stitches and yes I would call it cemented construction.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or I guess another scenario if I have 100% glued shoe but the upper was turned outwards (but without the rapid), then if I after fact add the rapid is the shoe significantly improved structurally (I'm sure it's improved because stich, how much I have no idea, you'd know better)?

edit: just saw your post, so I guess upper turn outwards for glue just not really possible (not enough surface area?)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it would stay attached long if the stitching was removed and the sole was only attached to the upper by glue at the turned out points. Maybe if the whole upper was turned in and then cemented (with a larger surface to apply glue) to the sole.
That said, remove the stitches and yes I would call it cemented construction.
only the actual upper was turned out - the fabric liner and interior liner were turned in (and all 3 layers were glued to each other) and then glued to the insole which was glued in its entirety to the sole.

boot_owl

Reaction score
or I guess another scenario if I have 100% glued shoe but the upper was turned outwards (but without the rapid), then if I after fact add the rapid is the shoe significantly improved structurally (I'm sure it's improved because stich, how much I have no idea, you'd know better)?
Depends on the type of glue and the definition of improvement. Some glues are meant to be temporary And thus would not be structurally sound without stitching (I use these to assemble things like wallets before stitching). If it is a properly cemented shoe like say the EG Portland, the stitching doesn’t really add much more structural improvement but it would technically make it a stitched construction still

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nancy43213