• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished one, opened the other. I'm really going to miss that Springbank 17 Sherry Wood; have to find more soon. The HP 18 isn't at all what I was expecting, however. Sweet, smooth, easy drinking.

IMG_1816.JPG

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I havent had HP 18 in years. It used to be one of my go-tos until it became crazy expensive. The 12, 18, 25 are/were real good.
I need to continue drinking more Springbank. I have a couple to get to soon.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the praises of Aberlour A'bunah have been sung on the fora in the past. Has anyone had a recent bottle that could provide a comment on the quality of the current releases?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the praises of Aberlour A'bunah have been sung on the fora in the past. Has anyone had a recent bottle that could provide a comment on the quality of the current releases?
Funny you mention this. I actually haven't picked up a bottle in a while. I've been wanting some though. Anyway, Serge Valentin of whiskyfun.com just reviewed a recent batch on his blog today. He liked it.
http://whiskyfun.com/#230617

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a batch #55 (I think, definitly mid 50's) at home which is fantastic. I haven't had the reportedly less impressive late #40's batches.

I finally got my hands on a Glendronach (the 12) which I'm looking forward to trying along with a Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask. Going sherry crazy!

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a batch #55 (I think, definitly mid 50's) at home which is fantastic. I haven't had the reportedly less impressive late #40's batches.

I finally got my hands on a Glendronach (the 12) which I'm looking forward to trying along with a Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask. Going sherry crazy!

The Glendronach 12 is awesome especially (almost unbelievably so) for the price. Have never had a Balvenie single cask but I'm sure you will be in for a treat there as well!

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a (late) Father's Day gift from the wife. A pretty sweet poster/print.
IMG_3257.jpg
IMG_3258.jpg

At some point I'll have to go through and check off how many I've tried.
In other news, for the first time in nearly a decade I will not be celebrating my birthday with a bottle of Glenlivet 21. I am torn as to what to open. Blair Athol 26yo sherry, Springbank cask strength 19yo sherry, or Macallan 18. Will update when I decide.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice @jcman311! I've always wanted just a birth year vintage, but that keeps getting more and more expensive. To be fair, though, I was recently gifted a vintage 10 years prior to my birth year as a thank-you, so that's pretty good.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opened this one tonight. Wouldve sworn it was Ardbeg if I didn't know better. 18 years, nearly 60%, hard to believe only around 5% of this is bottled in a format other than a blend:
IMG_2039.JPG

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Local liquor store across the border went out of business , I happened to learn about it early enough to buy their best stock. Now I have a few hundred bottles of Scotch and Cognac.
Some highlights: 21yo Ballentines , bunch of single year Scotches of various age mostly 19 to 21 y.o., Laudabe from 1937, 1940. Montifoud from 1984 30 y.o., Domain Boingneres from 1984 and 8 cases of different NV Champagne. I'm gonna be doing lotsa drunk posting from now on...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally think of Ardbeg if I get seaweed and brine combined with other deep and sweeter flavors.

Recently have had Edradour Sauternes Cask, Ohishi Sherry Single Cask #1212 (huge sherry bomb with underlying whisky complexity that belies the shochu provenance), and that Glendronach 12.

My girlfriend's father says he loves single malt scotch and the higher end blends but always adds ice and sometimes even a splash of Pepsi(!), but that's how he likes to drink. I wanted to get him a bottle of something pretty decent for his birthday so I settled on Macallan 12 Double Cask as I know he hasn't tried that one yet. Not too challenging or strong but something I would also enjoy if offered a glass.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow this was great. I don't know how I've missed Balblair, but this stuff is excellent. A little weird on the nose, but it tastes like someone stuck a bunch of fruits into a barrel of A'bunadh. Real interesting. Yet again, I need to try more Highlands stuff.

IMG_3287.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics