• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes. That was my issue, and I can only bother my CA contacts but so much.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just arrived in Sydney and went past a liquor store out of curiosity and pardon my language but holy **** the prices here on liquor are crazy. I'm from Canada so I'm not used to even USA level of cheap here, but most of these are like double the price. I mean bottles that are $50-60 in the USA and $60-70 in Canada are $100 or more here. Wow. Stuff that was an everyday drinker at $50-60 for me are now $90-100 so yeah.... I hear there's about $20 tax per bottle plus they pay for alcohol % too, so if it's cask strength, you don't even want to know. Guess I'll have to savor one bottle here or simply skip the whole thing.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1L of Laphroaig 10 I got a few days ago isn't going to last long. Although, it's not as smokey as I expected. I'll try the QC next.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The 1L of Laphroaig 10 I got a few days ago isn't going to last long. Although, it's not as smokey as I expected. I'll try the QC next.

Cask strength is the way to go for pure intense Laphroaig-y goodness. It's another world from the regular 80 proof.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the QC is only a 8 year maybe 6. I find it's got all the smoke but it's a bit 'hollow', like no complexity there. If you want that smokey punch then it's good for that. Not a knock, and I'm not an ageist, but just pointing out that the 10 is probably a bit more rounded out.

I've picked up several of their duty free ones for about $70-80 and they're basically the QC plus something. The PX (sherry) was nice.
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/28699/laphroaig-px-cask-litre

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PX is supposed to be good too, yeah. They didn't have any at the store I went to- and the litre of QC was almost double the price of the 10 year which is bonkers. I have an unopened laga 16 sitting on the credenza. Undecided on whether to open it or to exchange it for another bottle of oogy or throw caution to the wind and slurp it down in a couple of weeks.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the QC and 10 were roughly the same price? That seems like a weird discrepancy.

Lag 16's solid too and if you're used to Laphroaig, it might be a nice change. It's smokey but in a different kind of way. And for the price, getting a 16 year bottle is nice. Your call, the Oogie is solid too. I mean Laphroai, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg, all solid drinkers. Can't go wrong with any of them.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to taste some real, unadulterated Laphroaig look for the 2015 Caradias. Its in a green and white tube.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
sup dawg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm making sure to give myself a merry christmas. Some recent pickups. From left to right. Kavalan Sherry Cask, I thought this was supposed to be a soloist cask but apparently it isnt. Still doesn't look too bad. Ill probably hold to see what the market does, otherwise I've heard these can be hit or miss. Springbank 19 recharred sherry. This looks awesome. Can't wait, but I have a bunch of other Springbank to try before this one.

Dailuaine 9, this one is very good. If you like Glendronach or say older Balvenie, than this is perfect. Very nutty, sherry influenced. High strength. Great QPR as it was only $49.99. The Glenallachie 11 was also only $49.99. This stuff is awesome. It tastes very similar to Aberlour A'bunadh. Some people have said that they cannot taste the difference blind. I think some days I could taste the difference blind, and some days I couldnt. That says a lot for a whisky in my book.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on Macallan Edition 2 ?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw the Edition 1 and 2 at Astors and was wondering about them as well. Seemed reasonably priced and Macs are usually good. Haven't heard much about them.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tasted a Pappy Van Winkle 20 year night before last as well as a 15 year. It was very, very good, but not $1500 a bottle good. What did I miss here? I mean, its not 30x better than a bottle of Larceny I have here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads