• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if that will go up in price more than the 18.  I have a 1988 vintage 18yo and man, it has increased a bunch in price.

I can still get 18 for $200, but Rare Cask goes for $300 here, so i'm hesitant to purchase it over the 18. Older bottles of 18 do jump quite a bit, my oldest is a 1991 and has certainly increased as well.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also know the quality of 18. I havent tried the rare cask and do not really have any desire to. It might be one that you really have to hold on to. I also dont know how much transparency they have in the rare cask series. Things like Balvenie Tun series list the casks and sometimes ages used on the packaging. Thats why they have jumped recently in price, even though there aren't age statements on them.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a Total Wine open up near me. Went in to check out prices/selection. Was pretty meh. I thought I would pick up one of the Spirits Direct line of single malts. I figured for like $29 it would be worth the try. I got the Ainsley Brae Burgundy cask finished. I must say I was impressed by the QPR. I can imagine that it probably has caramel color added and other tricks, but the flavor is there and feels like the alcohol is much higher than the 40% label. The burgundy cask added a good bit of fruit to the whisky. If I shared this with my friends (who know me and my collection) I would have no doubt that they would put this in the $60-$90 range.
So prices of regular brands I wasn't impressed. But the off brands that they have are decent. The descriptors that they use in store are accurate. And apparently if you do not like the product, you can return the contents for a refund (of the off brand stuff) A good place to explore new flavors for less money if you ask me.
Quoting myself here. Picked up the Ainsley Brae Sherry cask. Great QPR. A lot less fruity/winey than the Burgundy cask obviously, and well done overall. I would probably put it in the Aberlour 12 area flavor wise, and for $29.99. Not bad.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually pay $130 for it. Same place today has it regular price for $170. Insane. Lagavulin 16 went up as well- it's now $125.

Last edited:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been increasing across the board. Here the Lag 16 just went up from $85 to about $95. Some of this was around however, at around $65 / bottle, so I figured I'd give it a try. First impressions were decent enough, but certainly not more enjoyable than the flagship:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sweet Christ. Lagavulin 12 just increased by $40 today at the BC Liquor Store.

Thinking of getting the 2016 Lagavulin 12 and the Caol Ila 15 Year Old 2016 for about $125 each. Is that a decent price?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking of getting the 2016 Lagavulin 12 and the Caol Ila 15 Year Old 2016 for about $125 each. Is that a decent price?

That seems high for the Lagavulin if you're paying USD. I don't know what Caol Ila 15 goes for, I've only ever seen the 12 and the DE (which is skippable).

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get in on the deal from K&L? Cant wait till I get mine.

11yo Glenallachie aged in first fill sherry. Comparable to A'bunadh, for only $49.99
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else get in on the deal from K&L?  Cant wait till I get mine.

11yo [COLOR=212121]Glenallachie aged in first fill sherry.  Comparable to A'bunadh, for only $49.99 [/COLOR]
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Any idea if they ship to NY?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They do not, but they ran out of it already anyway.

Thanks. I've run into a bunch of good deals from various sites recently that don't ship to NY.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads