• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had one of the Port Charlotte's by Bruichladdich, it was quite good....terrible that I cant remember which one of them....so I will have to go back and have another.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
received some recent presents

also my collection of empty hibiki bottles, they are so nice i never want to throw them away

Eric Michael

Reaction score
I hosted a house warming party recently, and was lucky enough to be gifted a bottle of The Balvenie 12 year old single barrel.
It was my first time trying this Balvenie (I have a bottle of the Doublewood), and i have to say, it's fantastic scotch.

I like it more than the Doublewood, as I find it more complex. I got creme caramel, custard, banana, raisin, cherry, tobacco... Reading that now, maybe I drank too much of it....?

Anyways, love the scotch and would recommend it.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most Balvenie is real good and even their cheap stuff is good. Far less misses than most other brands

Just opened this up. Signatory is a great independant bottler. Prices are good and variety is usually there. This glenlivet is delicious. Oh, and a lot of their offerings are at high strength.

Last edited:

agoldf

Reaction score
Most Balvenie is real good and even their cheap stuff is good. Far less misses than most other brands

Ture true.
Would not say Balvenie is always great but they are vary careful that the releases should be at least solid.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a Glenfarclas 17 and a Highland Park 12. The HP is great after its had some time to breathe a little and haven't opened the Glenfarclas, but I'm expecting some rich goodness this xmas.

Firefox

Reaction score
Picked up a Glenfarclas 17 and a Highland Park 12. The HP is great after its had some time to breathe a little and haven't opened the Glenfarclas, but I'm expecting some rich goodness this xmas.
I also like the HP 12. IMHO, it's worth the extra $15 over the 10.

After that, though, things just start getting crazy (at least at the LCBO). $200 for the 18, $650 for the 25, etc...
cry.gif

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try the Dark Origins. LCBO has it for $99 and it's a step up, with a lot more sherry.

I just finshed a bottle of this and thought it was pretty good. This was my second bottle and I dont remember being thoroughly impressed with my first one but second time around it is good. Kinda reminds of Bowmore darkest (15yo) with a tad less smoke.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've asked around about the dark origins but nobody I know has tried it. I already cracked the 12, so once that's done I'll check it out.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Revisited this one recently. My initial impression wasn't great, but that's been revised. It has a ton going on, coupled with significant strength. The right amount of water really helps too.

After polishing off the cask strength 10 year old, which I absolutely loved, I opened this one up. I like it, but would trade it for the cs 10.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

After polishing off the cask strength 10 year old, which I absolutely loved, I opened this one up. I like it, but would trade it for the cs 10.

The 10 year CS is my favorite expression of Laphroaig, at least among the common bottlings. The 18 year is very nice, but it gets tamed in a way that puts it more in line with some other Islays like Lagavulin. The 10 CS is just rich in a really appealing way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads