• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

junglcmndo

Reaction score
Thanks for all that helped however I did not get a chance to pick up any scotch at the duty-free shops because I spent all my money on the scotches below lol. Cadenheads is an awesome store in Edinburgh and I think a must visit for any scotch fan. I got to try plenty of the scotch's on their board while at the store and some were going for £200 a bottle. Not sure if they're always this generous but I ended up grabbing springbank 21 and miltonduff 36

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Springbank 21 ... I wish I could get to the drooling emoji on my phone.

sftiger

Reaction score

Thanks for all that helped however I did not get a chance to pick up any scotch at the duty-free shops because I spent all my money on the scotches below lol. Cadenheads is an awesome store in Edinburgh and I think a must visit for any scotch fan. I got to try plenty of the scotch's on their board while at the store and some were going for £200 a bottle. Not sure if they're always this generous but I ended up grabbing springbank 21 and miltonduff 36

Cadenhead's is amazing. One of my highlights of visiting Edinburgh.

junglcmndo

Reaction score
lol the hand filled is probably a little bit of a gimmick, but essentially you hold the bottle and open up the tap on a single barrel till it's filled. The Springbank is pretty good had a small taste at the store but was a bit in a rush so didn't get to really "taste" it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't gross since I've never had them. Not quite into the peaty stuff yet and not sure I ever will be, but seems like a lot of the more experienced drinkers like them more. Is there a reason behind this?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eh bigger is better?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite into the peaty stuff yet and not sure I ever will be, but seems like a lot of the more experienced drinkers like them more. Is there a reason behind this?

It has to do with complexities. Peated and smoky whiskies can be much more complex than non peated ones. Layers of flavor. Look at a sherried Lagavulin or Laphroig. Very complex. I've been searching for more complex sherry or other wine aged whiskies for a while. I have a few peated ones, but I need to be in the mood for them. Also seasonal influences would take a heavily peated or sherried whisky now in this hemisphere whereas in the spring/summer is the time for lighter peated more fruity and subtle whiskies.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of sherried Laphroaig, I have a bottle of the 2014 Amontillado Cairdeas on the way, along with the 2015 floor malted, and the 2016 Madeira.

I also will be pickin up the A'bunadh, Oogie, NAS Yoishi (can't find the age statement stuff...), and Talisker Distillers Edition all tomorrow when I dig my car out of the snow...

Been also eyeing The Hakushu 12, any thoughts on that dram?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****- where'd you get the 2015 Cairdeas?? I've been wanting to grab that. The 2016 is good- fruity. I'm down to 1/2 a bottle. Your other choices are great, though I've never tried the Yoishi... the Talisker DE is a great value for the money.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Would rather be drinking HP 18 year (amazing stuff) but on a budget now so have to make due with the 12 year - a good everyday dram.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke into the 2016 Laphroaig Cairdeas Madeira last night. Definitely fruity, but in a deep, dark fruit way (thinking like a dark cherry preserved in brandy, or a luxardo on a manhattan) with a lovely spice. That layered with a savory element, like pancetta or bacon, along with the the classic Laphroaig profile.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads