• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any marathoners here???Advice needed!!!

mrpologuy

Reaction score
The Detroit Marathon is at the end of October and I am thinking about running it. It seems pretty cool because you run through the tunnel into Canada and then back into the USA. I used to run in highschool and for a while after. I did a couple of 10k's in about 45 minutes and could do 100 mile weeks. Do you guys think this is enough time to train for one? What tips and sites do you guys use tog et info on training for this event and what expereinces have you had with this great physical challenge? Thanks for the help!!!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It depends... For running 10k's in 45 minutes, I wouldn't guess you'll be at the back of the pack, nor would you be satisfied there. So, I'm proceeding under the assumption that you want to finish around 3:15-3:45.

Five months is plenty, if you're currently running. If you're at 30 mpw now then you're in great shape. I would progress up to 70-80 mpw (depending on circumstances) up to two weeks before, then taper. Choose hills over speedwork. Do the long runs, test your supplements during those runs (gels, bars, etc.).

If you're at 0 mpw, then it depends on your natural durability. If you never got injured at 100 mpw then your durability shouldn't be an issue, but you've got to start today, tomorrow at the latest.

runnersworld.com has a good marathon-specific forum (iirc). letsrun.com is more racing-oriented but still worth a peek. There are also some good books (Daniel's, Lydiard, etc.), and you might look into a running group, since a lot of training groups form specific to their event.

I ran Houston and am fixin to run it again this January. I had a blast! It took me a week to walk normally afterwards, but I was running again after a few weeks. Crowds were great, the last mile running through downtown was incredible. There were spectators lining the streets cheering each runner on for the last mile until the finish line. Miles 21-25 are hell - rolling concrete hills. Bring extra supplements. and - no matter how early you have to get there - park near the finish line.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also marathon run. I am an older runner (50+) and no longer believe a sub-3:00 is in my future.

I agree with the advise given. I would also recommend that you join a local running club. You will be able to train with like-minded souls, will get help on form and interval runs, will be able to participate in speed drills, and will be better informed as to shorter races you can use as part of your practice. In Ann Arbor, consider

http://www.aatrackclub.org/

Also, for an easy to access 18 week schedule, go to:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/traini...ngschedule.php

jwied82

Reaction score
if you were running 100 mile weeks you should be a good bit faster than 45 min 10k... i think its better to work on improving speed with intervals and tempo runs before running such high mileage, but i enjoy running at a fast pace and loathe forcing myself to slow down, even on long training runs, so thats just my perspective.

Really, anything over about 70 is overkill unless you are a pretty competitive runner. All the extra mileage really does is increase your running efficiency and form through increased repetition but there comes a point of diminishing returns in terms of cardiovascular/aerobic benefit.

that said, i too am a relatively high mileage runner (max 80 mpw), so i understand the desire to just put in lots of miles when running is something you really enjoy.

usctrojan99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwied82
if you were running 100 mile weeks you should be a good bit faster than 45 min 10k... i think its better to work on improving speed with intervals and tempo runs before running such high mileage, but i enjoy running at a fast pace and loathe forcing myself to slow down, even on long training runs, so thats just my perspective.

Really, anything over about 70 is overkill unless you are a pretty competitive runner. All the extra mileage really does is increase your running efficiency and form through increased repetition but there comes a point of diminishing returns in terms of cardiovascular/aerobic benefit.

that said, i too am a relatively high mileage runner (max 80 mpw), so i understand the desire to just put in lots of miles when running is something you really enjoy.

Jwied is correct. If you want to increase speed, you should consider interval running. For example, if there is a track, try to 400m intervals fast, then jog 400, then a fast 400m, then jog another 400m. You need to train your body how to pick up the pace.

After a while, you can increase it to 800m fast and then slow down for 400m. And do it again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads