• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Ivy League Graduates?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aren't some of the Scottish universities highly regarded? St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow.

There's also Queen's in Northern Ireland.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a friend doing literary studies or whatever at Trinity and he said it's great. Lots of great schools over there.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Aren't some of the Scottish universities highly regarded? St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow.

unless you are talking about scotch or golf, no one really cares about Scotland.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

St. Andrews and Edinburgh, Glasgow probably not.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
unless you are talking about scotch or golf, no one really cares about Scotland.
Say that to my great-uncle and he will cut your balls off with a sporran.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Held in very high regard. One of the, if not the best, places to go for economics & social sciences. As I stated earlier, one of the roughly 5-10 or so places to go in the UK where it is actually worth it.

Why do you ask?

Know a guy that went there for a master's in "law & society" or something, after getting his JD here. Basically just for fun, and he said it was a good time and a nice change. He described the process which was totally foriegn to me (I think he referred to his teachers as 'tutors' who custom-developed a course of study for him). Looking back, it seemed sort of like a bespoke Master's Degree.

drake

Reaction score
Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, CalTech, USC, UCSF, Hastings.

You got everything you need right there, no need to go to the ****** coast or even leave the state.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
St. Andrews and Edinburgh, Glasgow probably not.
Ah OK. My grandmother got an optometry (or something like that, can't recall exactly what it was) degree from Edinburgh a long time ago. Late '40's/early '50's I think.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, CalTech, USC, UCSF, Hastings.

You got everything you need right there, no need to go to the ****** coast or even leave the state.

Isn't Pomona supposed to be goos as well?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Yeah, but PC is the most prestigious school in the consortium. Still, CMC has great programs in the social sciences.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
California probably has the highest number of "good universities" in the Union. What else comes close?

This has a lot to do with the sheer size of the state, but still.

Mr. Right

Reaction score
I got into Yale, Princeton, and MIT, but ended up choosing Stanford. I love it here and can't imagine being anywhere else. If you have any questions about Stanford, feel free to ask.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Palo Alto has some of the most perfectly agreeable weather in the US. Obviously it's one hell of a school, I was just too much of a snob to ever go out west. Everyone I know at Stanford is deliriously happy, and much like you, got into all the cardigan sweater vest institutions and chose to go out west for Stanford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads