• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ann D, Cloak, Raf Simons ... I just don't get it

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, I recently got an Undercoverism jacket from the Arts&Crafts season and it has a rather well-detailed felt cut-out contrast skull on the back.

I realize the skull is somewhat a cliched symbol in clothing, but somehow it worked quite well for this jacket.

Max

Reaction score
****. My post got deleted, so here are the main points:

1. Punks have been wearing this **** for years.
2. There's no reason to throw down so much for it.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, here's an example. People on superfuture are talking about this label Macabre, and aside from being the most prosaic name for its line, I just can't see where anyone can wear this:
fw07_5.jpg
fw07_9.jpg
Now, if this isn't the stuff for sale, then I guess I understand, but it still speaks to the designer's aesthetic.
fw07_4.jpg
WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THIS?

minya

Reaction score
If you don't get it/don't like it, then that's all there is to it. Why does it seem to bother you so much?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
halloween?

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me at all. I'm learning a lot from this thread. I have a sort of Americana style that I dig, it suits me well, and I'm trying to learn more about what appeals people to certain styles, specifically this one which I see popping up a lot lately. If I don't get it, I'd like to learn why or learn more.

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
It doesn't bother me at all. I'm learning a lot from this thread. I have a sort of Americana style that I dig, it suits me well, and I'm trying to learn more about what appeals people to certain styles, specifically this one which I see popping up a lot lately. If I don't get it, I'd like to learn why or learn more.
Ah. Okay. Well.. I mean, that's kind of a difficult question, since where exactly does our sense of aesthetics come from? I'll just rattle off a few of my preferences and tastes to give you an idea... I've always liked villains, not superheroes; Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman in Batman Returns was the first woman I ever loved; black and white look so much better to me than red and blue; I appreciate static, feedback, and decay in music just as much as melody, harmony, and rhythm; I'd rather live in a blackened ancient castle than a sunny, warm plantation; I think taking things apart is more fun than putting things together; I like things that drape; when I was a young boy, I watched horror and science-fiction movies like they were keeping me alive; I feel more comfortable in a cardigan, a black button-up, cargo pants and combat boots than in a polo, chinos, and brogues. I have a very, very dark sense of humor, I'm very sarcastic, and I like reading poetry. My favorite fabrics are leather and cashmere. and for reference, I think the second and third photographs posted above look fantastic. Would I dress like that on a daily basis? No. Would I incorporate some of the garments/ideas/styles into my own wardrobe? Definitely.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Ah. Okay. Well.. I mean, that's kind of a difficult question, since where exactly does our sense of aesthetics come from? I'll just rattle off a few of my preferences and tastes to give you an idea...

I've always liked villains, not superheroes; Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman in Batman Returns was the first woman I ever loved; black and white look so much better to me than red and blue; I appreciate static, feedback, and decay in music just as much as melody, harmony, and rhythm; I'd rather live in a blackened ancient castle than a sunny, warm plantation; I think taking things apart is more fun than putting things together; I like things that drape; when I was a young boy, I watched horror and science-fiction movies like they were keeping me alive; I feel more comfortable in a cardigan, a black button-up, cargo pants and combat boots than in a polo, chinos, and brogues.

I have a very, very dark sense of humor, I'm very sarcastic, and I like reading poetry. My favorite fabrics are leather and cashmere.

I also like when music has a "dirty" less produced sound to it, but I disagree to most the other stuff, I love the sun, winter is terrible. I like to build up cars/computers/etc, I like tighter fitting stuff and I dont agree with either of your combinations as I dont wear Polos, Boots, or cargos. I guess what is really kinda being said is that everyone's sense of style is different, sometimes similar but different (this is reserved for those with style, AMJacks removed)

Max

Reaction score
Look at subcultures that are really into clothing. Now think about what group of kids that was in high school about 8-10 years ago during the first pop-punk/industrial/grunge/goth revival grew up and went into fashion.

minya

Reaction score
You don't need to "agree" or "disagree" with my aesthetic preferences and choices. They're mine and mine alone. I'm hoping they give blank a better idea of why some people like the clothing he's asking about, or at least where I'm coming from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads