• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Satmoche

Reaction score
I take a 52 in Cavour's Mod 2. When I was in the AI shop last year, they tried to put me in a 48, which hit the shoulder and had the right length, but was very trim (which I articulated). Not at all like the louche style the staff all wear. I did not try the AI 50 unfortunately.
This really baffles me. Anglo-Italian is known for having their louche style yet one of their staff opted to make you purchase a very trim jacket?! Perhaps the sales associate in person was still training?
In their portrait collection (pictures of some of their good customers) on their website, the cuts vary too. I would assume that they would 'press' their customers to think of comfort and drape.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
How do y'all find AI's tailoring to fit relative to the usual SF suspects (Spier, Armoury, Cavour, yada yada yada)? My only AI experience is a MTM (I'd guess roughly a very slim EU52) SC I got off of Ebay. It's awesome, but, very slim, so functionally useless for me.

It looks as though their 56 runs roughly similar to Armoury's Model 3 in a 54?

I take a 52 in Cavour's Mod 2. When I was in the AI shop last year, they tried to put me in a 48, which hit the shoulder and had the right length, but was very trim (which I articulated). Not at all like the louche style the staff all wear. I did not try the AI 50 unfortunately.

The fit advice they gave you is very surprising.

I have a DB and their tennis DB from a few years ago. Martin had helped me with fit advice and recommended I take the same size as Armoury Model 3.
For reference, i take a 48 in Cavour, 48 in armoury model 3, 48 in AI, 48slim in Spier

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am confused why you didn’t take the time to try the 50….
This really baffles me. Anglo-Italian is known for having their louche style yet one of their staff opted to make you purchase a very trim jacket?! Perhaps the sales associate in person was still training?
In their portrait collection (pictures of some of their good customers) on their website, the cuts vary too. I would assume that they would 'press' their customers to think of comfort and drape.
This is baffling, and not this first time I’ve a story such as this…. Although it might be same story from same later, just posted again, not sure.

I would like to try their tailoring at some point, but not if they’re going to try to pressure me into the wrong size/silhouette.

Shetterd

Reaction score
The fit advice they gave you is very surprising.

I have a DB and their tennis DB from a few years ago. Martin had helped me with fit advice and recommended I take the same size as Armoury Model 3.
For reference, i take a 48 in Cavour, 48 in armoury model 3, 48 in AI, 48slim in Spier
I am confused why you didn’t take the time to try the 50….

This is baffling, and not this first time I’ve a story such as this…. Although it might be same story from same later, just posted again, not sure.

I would like to try their tailoring at some point, but not if they’re going to try to pressure me into the wrong size/silhouette.

I did not purchase the jacket, the question was about changes for MTM. And the salesperson (it was actually Martin @djdanniedee) suggested that the fit of that jacket was good and that nothing substantial should be changed.

And @hpreston to be honest, I should have tried the 50, but given the advice and the certainty with which I was told that this was the right size put me off.

I didn't go for MTM with AI based on this experience.

djdanniedee

Reaction score

That's a shame. Were you trying on a SB or DB?

I've had Martin give me advice on both DB, (regular and tennis blazer) and he was pretty spot on for me. 48 in regular DB and then to size down on the tennis blazer. He also gave me the right advice to size up on their gilet vest. This was all through email though.

Quite surprised by the experience people have had in the store where the employees are so set on their recommendations instead of letting the client try on different sizes to see what they prefer

kashmir

Reaction score
The base block is not suitable for my build- I have square-ish shoulders, drop 8 (42 chest, 34 waist). The MTM base is drop 6, but I imagine if altered to drop 8 it wouldn't look like Anglo-Italian cut? Ha! I do think the currently-trendy louche look has a lot to do with the wearers all having sloped shoulders, the bastards...

sensuki

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I had one made up as a MTM with a couple tweaks (not bespoke) and really like it + service was great. In hindsight I might have had it made a little more slouchy.

Not the best photo (hair needs a trim so you can actually see the notch!) but here it is
This is about an hour after unpacking it from being folded in a box, same with the pants
Fabric is very dark
Jacket may need to be nipped in a touch at the lower back

368612453_677431380911226_6859408143630735962_n.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The base block is not suitable for my build- I have square-ish shoulders, drop 8 (42 chest, 34 waist). The MTM base is drop 6, but I imagine if altered to drop 8 it wouldn't look like Anglo-Italian cut? Ha! I do think the currently-trendy louche look has a lot to do with the wearers all having sloped shoulders, the bastards...
I may be confused. Is this strictly in relation to jacketing? If a full suit, one would have to imagine* they'd use your optimal (though, perhaps, maybe not, as some experiences might indicated) jacket and trouser size as the base block, rather than forcing you into their RTW block.

*I have no direct experience, but this seems an incredibly stupid limitation, if it is indeed as I'm reading this. Like, REALLY stupid.

Unrelated, how does shipping/potential returns go? Free shipping (maybe?) and buyer's cost to return? I do like their stuff, and am wanting a new navy suit, but considering it's admittedly a gamble with sizing, an extra $100 or so (plus the hassle of returning) might stay my hand

kashmir

Reaction score
I may be confused. Is this strictly in relation to jacketing? If a full suit, one would have to imagine* they'd use your optimal (though, perhaps, maybe not, as some experiences might indicated) jacket and trouser size as the base block, rather than forcing you into their RTW block.

*I have no direct experience, but this seems an incredibly stupid limitation, if it is indeed as I'm reading this. Like, REALLY stupid.

Unrelated, how does shipping/potential returns go? Free shipping (maybe?) and buyer's cost to return? I do like their stuff, and am wanting a new navy suit, but considering it's admittedly a gamble with sizing, an extra $100 or so (plus the hassle of returning) might stay my hand
Apologies I was referring to their RTW block, which of course was used to gauge the correct fit. If I were to go MTM, the waist would be suppressed correctly, which they demonstrated using pins. No problem at all- the fit is correct and good. Just making the comment regarding what sort of body shape their base RTW model caters to- for my build, there are other RTW brands that fit better off the rack.

AMCv

Reaction score
Looks like prices have gone up 20% across the board recently. Should've pulled the trigger on a few things it seems.

Shetterd

Reaction score
Have they? I thought the shirts had been £175 for a while (same with the suits at £1450 I think).

sargeinaz

Reaction score
shirts are 188 now, I don’t think that was the case before. And I don’t know if that herringbone sport jacket was 1180 before? I know the Crockett and jones shoes went up for sure, but I think that’s to mirror crocketts own price increases.

Shetterd

Reaction score
shirts are 188 now, I don’t think that was the case before. And I don’t know if that herringbone sport jacket was 1180 before? I know the Crockett and jones shoes went up for sure, but I think that’s to mirror crocketts own price increases.
Shirts still show £175 for me. Where are you browsing from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads