• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternative to the blue blazer?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flartchy
Well, no woman under the age of 30 has ever recommended I wear a blue blazer.
That might be because women don't see guys wearing navy blazers that fit right.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6a01156e30b64e970c01156f7f7b9d970b-800wi

^^This is very LA.

It's actually very douche, but thanks for giving me another reason to never move there.

jake-gyllenhaal-spain-source-code-04052011-01-430x645.jpg

^^Shouldn't be buttoned. This look doesn't work well with buttoned sport coats/blazers.

I think you're a bit too uptight about this whole thing.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, Jake Gyllenhaal looks pretty good in that pic and way better than the "This is very LA" one.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, thanks guys. Some out of the box thinking here on SF. When I was in London, I wore what was appropriate there. What's appropriate in one place will get you laughed at elsewhere in the world. I remember one of the barristers I worked with there had an American wife who told a funny story about the two of them visiting her family in Arkansas for the first time. He was wearing a blue blazer. They were wearing jeans and working on an old pickup truck. His Italian leather shoes were filled with Arkansas mud. It's still laughed about in her family.

So you do not have a style of your own and wear what is "appropriate".

Do you wear a tob and kibr or a jellabiya in the Middle East or a kanzu in East Africa or a gho in Bhutan? If you want to follow the crowd wear what your photos show the celebs wearing but you'll be just another LA dbag.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
The temperature got up to 90 a week ago. It's already April. California's fall/spring is over and done. No more dark colors. Hang up the blue blazers until November, gentlemen.

Interesting. I wear navy blazers in the dead of summer (after 5 of course). I find they go well with linen and chinos. This is the first I have heard that they are only for after November.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pPOLO2-9452306_lifestyle_t208.jpg

I have no issue with the blue blazer, even with gold buttons.

Here's mine and actually this is a suit jacket that I double as a blazer.

IMAGE_052.jpg

If I were to be a bit more fashion forward I would wear one slightly shorter, say about 1". Navy looks fine with good denim so long as it's a bit worn out (the denim).

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone I respect once said, when you're over 35 and unmarried, always take a woman who is under 30 with you when you clothes shop,
Don't take a woman clothes shopping with you. Women have far far far fewer rules when it comes to clothing and many will attempt to have you break those rules in a bad way.
A couple of cougars I used to date liked the look. But I'm trying to get away from the coug vibe and go with the younger women these days, and blue blazerdom is "instant dry-p*ssy" from what I've been told.
I've been told a lot of things about picking up women. A lot of things that were stupid and flat wrong. Maybe you should worry less about getting magic clothes that get you laid and work on the actual qualities women are attracted to. Your look is important, but as a man who routinely gets unsolicited telephone numbers I can tell you from personal experience sometimes being covered in coal dust and wearing Key Imperial Bib overalls is the right look to get you laid. (Irish bar after art studio.) PS I wore a blazer today.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^+1, I've dealt with a few women who are really good at shopping for men, but most of the time they're way off. In a similar fashion I'm usually pretty lost in the realm of womens clothes outside of the area of fit.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Someone I respect once said, when you're over 35 and unmarried, always take a woman who is under 30 with you when you clothes shop, and if she says don't buy something, for the love of god don't buy it. Well, no woman under the age of 30 has ever recommended I wear a blue blazer. A couple of cougars I used to date liked the look. But I'm trying to get away from the coug vibe and go with the younger women these days, and blue blazerdom is "instant dry-p*ssy" from what I've been told.
I don't know who told you this, but it's the absolute worst advice I think I've ever seen. I never take my fiancee shopping with me, nor any woman, and for good reason. Male and female fashion is about as disparate as things can get. A woman can get away with a solid pink overcoat. A man would be lucky to pull off pink pin dots on a tie. Generally, women have no idea what is appropriate and flattering on a man, unless they have real, solid experience in the men's fashion. The average woman likely will see a lot of clothes they like on men they love, and would be more than happy happy to see that same mediocre outfit on any man, no matter that he's a foot taller/shorter, 50 lbs heavier/lighter, or shaped like an egg as opposed to The Vitruvian Man. In addition to this, you'd be hard-pressed to find a woman who understands how small differences in pocket position, button-point, lapel width and shape, jacket length, venting, etc., can either flatter a man's physique, or accentuate his flaws. Don't like blue blazers? Follow the only piece of advice you needed to hear:
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Just get a jacket you like that fits and isn't blue.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spong
For example, I move in social circles with people who would actually never recommend a single item of tailored clothing or proper shoes, and yet, having chosen to wear such items amongst them have not recieved any negative comments whatsoever. On the contrary, in fact. Often people don't know what they like until they see it.
Exactly. Since coming on StyleForum I have taken the advice given here very seriously (even if most of my main posts are snark). This has given me perspective on what works and what doesn't saving me a lot of money in the process. I am now also considered upper management potential which may (coupled with my horrible management and people skills) allow me to rise within the organization.
It's probably not safe to assume all these people who haven't recommended blue blazers to you have either a) seen it done well, or b) even considered the idea in the first place. I wouldn't have the bottle to rock a brass buttoned number myself but a navy SC with regular buttons definitely. With the right cut, fit and accessories it can look very youthful - perhaps a summer scarf or a straw hat, though probably not both at the same time unless you're Jude Law or something.
Agreed if the OP doesn't like it, he doesn't have to wear it. But also I should point out that I recently wore a navy blazer w/ brass buttons, white shirt, light green sweater vest, navy bow tie, topped off by a light steel blue straw porkpie. I received a number of compliments from women passing by on the street, a phone number (I tossed in the trash so my girlfriend wouldn't find it) and a facebook posts from female friends who happened to be driving by. "was that you in that dapper outfit..."
fistbump.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
^ same thought I have.

I don't understand the hate for navy blazer in this situation.

Sounds like OP is going to use it to hang around in a lounge, bar or club. So your navy blazer will be a black blazer even to the most discerning eye.

Hell, many people confuse navy with black even during the day in a well lit environment....

And why do I get the feeling the OP is a trolling? Not the evil kind, more like he wants people on here to quibble over the navy blazer subject.

Oh and

Wth? I'd figure you would favor more variety. At what point do they all look the same, the 6 or 7th black one?

None of them loook the same as they're mainly designer items with eccentric cuts, details and fabrics; one could be waist lenght, made of a silky wool, one button and have thin lapels the other one made of 4 kind of wrinkly fabric, handwashed and be more like a Victorian cut. I'm not recommanding the OP dress like myself anyway, just that he picks up a black blazer.

I'm sure all the other posters recommanding a blue blazer saying "be an individual, wear what we tell you" are totally right though.
rotflmao.gif

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Get yourself a moleskin jacket of some sort, in blue, or perhaps even tan. Like this

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
But what is wrong with brown shoes?

Nothing, I just don't have any
wink.gif
I don't really have anything brown at all other than a suede coat my dad gave me 15 years ago that I never wear.

Originally Posted by culverwood
Do you wear a tob and kibr or a jellabiya in the Middle East or a kanzu in East Africa or a gho in Bhutan? If you want to follow the crowd wear what your photos show the celebs wearing but you'll be just another LA dbag.

If I were in any of those places I'd sure try! I'd love to wear that white flowing gown like thing that the Arabs wear. Would be interesting to try.

Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I recently wore a navy blazer w/ brass buttons, white shirt, light green sweater vest, navy bow tie, topped off by a light steel blue straw porkpie.

No offense to anyone who wears that sort of thing but, in many parts of LA, that look would get you gunned down in the street, and not in a cool Tupac sort of way. In a sad way.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miltonaop