• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternative to the blue blazer?

Flartchy

Reaction score
Just can't bring myself to wear a blue blazer. They remind me of 70 year old men on boats. All the women I know under the age of 45 hate them as well (whereas the 45+ year olds all seem to dig 'em). They also clash with blue jeans (IMHO) and the brass buttons look.. umm.. well, again, old and nautical.

I'm in Los Angeles and 35 years old, looking for an alternative that would work in the situations that a blue blazer would.. from semi-formal to "smart casual" or whatever the term is?

It would be worn with jeans most of the time, sometimes khakis, sometimes with dark grey dress slacks... for casual but somewhat stylish nights on the town. Not the hottest clubs in LA or anything, but not Olive Garden either. Somewhere in between.

thx

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
yeah, a navy sportcoat. huge difference. get a nice navy jacket that doesnt have brass buttons. I have quite a few.....I have a great linen blend with patch pockets and white MOP buttons.

Flartchy

Reaction score
love you guys, I really do.. but anything besides blue? Blue blazers don't do it in LA.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
What are you looking for here?

Could get a green jacket if you happen to be named Charl. Could go khaki/chino unstructured, but this probably won't "do it in LA." When I think of something "doing it in LA," I think of those ridiculous skin-tight super-cropped grey jackets with paint splatter. The other thing that (evidently) "does it in LA" is wearing jeans with a t-shirt and sun glasses and pretending you are hiding from the paparazzi.

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flartchy
love you guys, I really do.. but anything besides blue? Blue blazers don't do it in LA.

Not sure exactly what you're asking for. I think the posters above were presuming you were looking for a blue, not-quite-blazer jacket that wasn't technically a blazer with brass buttons, hence the suggestions. I think the blue linen with horn buttons was a good idea.

If you're asking for an alternative to blue, well, pretty much anything grey, from light down to charcoal, and solid, would probably work.

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cncrd
If you're asking for an alternative to blue, well, pretty much anything grey, from light down to charcoal, and solid, would probably work.

Thanks!

Do they have grey blazers or are they strictly sport-coats? I know black blazers are.. not recommended.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Do they have grey blazers or are they strictly sport-coats? I know black blazers are.. not recommended.

What would a "grey blazer" mean if you're referring to sport coats as something different? A "blazer" is a misused term that people use to describe any kind of sport coat. However, I believe a blazer is usually either a navy jacket with gold buttons, a sport coat with very vibrant stripes or something. I think a "blazer" is a sport coat, but not all sport coats are blazers. So asking if there are grey blazers doesn't completely make sense. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Flartchy

Reaction score
From my limited store of knowledge on the topic, blazers are sport coats with defining features, such as a slightly more casual fit and (usually) brass buttons and (hopefully not) a little club logo or crest on the breast pocket.

I'm just looking for a extremely casual sport-coat type look that's not blue and that doesn't have brass buttons, essentially. And that's not black. This coat will get tossed in the back of cars and worn around, sometimes with short-sleeve shirts, etc.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you one of those guys that just wants that one sport coat to wear "out" to look wealthier and more formal without being too formal?

cncrd

Reaction score
Thanks!

You're opening a massive can of worms here even asking about what makes a blazer, because you're going to get all kinds of definitions... brass buttons, blue only, somebody else will say stripy things from 1890 that go with straw hats and rowing clubs...

It sounds like you just want a grey sportcoat. That should be simple enough to find anywhere. Depending on the level of formality you want, wool, linen, or cotton could work, with linen and cotton being less formal.

Is this what you're thinking about? This one's an Etro, so it has some sheen to it, but there are tons of makers out there who make similar pieces, from very hip slim cuts in more agreesive fabric finishes that might not get a lot of love here, to more traditional names, like Canali, that you'd see here.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a sport coat that's not blue. That's my advice.
teacha.gif
Seriously, you make it sound as if all you see is navy jackets around you. This has always been the opposite of my experience. Sport coats don't have brass or any metal buttons usually. And they are usually not navy. I am assuming you don't want a "loud" sport coat, seeing how you think a navy blazer is to stodgy. So anything with a pattern in multi color however subtle is out of the question for you? If so, get a tan linen jacket, unstructured.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah agree with above. I dont know what you are trying to ask? If you do not like blue, get anything but blue. It is a simple philosophy.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harrier2man