• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations Tailor in Downtown Toronto

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fully revoke my support for Studio Kim. I had one good experience and it's been nothing but disasters since. I have suit pants to a brand new suit that are possibly ruined. Going back to Magic Tailor to see if they can fix them.

Reaction score
Hi, This isn't totally on point for this column but I'm hoping SFers can help me out. I've found some fabrics that I want to make into ties. Does anyone have any suggestions where (or if) in the GTA you can get quality handmade custom ties?

dufferin1

Reaction score
Quote:
Just some basic stuff (hemming, letting out of waist of pants). I've gone to Magic Tailor a couple times and he does fairly good work. The guy just makes me uneasy haha. I'll probably go back to him though.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Also, I had Xavier shorten my wife's Brooks Brothers trench coat by 10", shorten the sleeves, and move up the sleeves buckles as well. It was a major job given the detailed construction of BB. I believe that costs $140.

I also had him fix the armholes and shoulders on a suit jacket and take in the crotch of the pants awhile back and he did a good job with that.

I think the difference with Xavier he will listen to what you want and do it, even if he disagrees with you stylistic choice. While with Magic Tailors, my experience is with some more complicated stuff, he leaves it to his own interpretation. Magic is still a good guy and I still go to him for basic work. He's done simple things like fix buttons for me for free. So I'm not bad mouthing him by any means.

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of researching of Toronto tailors online and it seems that there is much consensus about Magic Tailor. I have a suit with about a 1 to 2 mm snag/hole I would like to try and get repaired by them, plus general tailoring (waist suppression, sleeve shortening and hemming pants). I live in Pickering but have had bad experiences with dry cleaner and store alterations (tip-top tailors) so I'd be willing to take the trip downtown if the work is as good as people say.

Last edited:

SFAN

Reaction score
Hello,

Bumping this up - any reviews for the dry cleaner tailors within the PATH network? I noticed someone put in a good word for the dry cleaner by Commerce Court North. Anywhere else?

To go to Magic Tailor would be a good 10-15 minute walk one way that would burn a big chunk of my break and is a bit out of my way. Would consider him based off the reviews here as a last resort.

Thanks!

Last edited:

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
Magic Tailor sucks! He's rude, didn't understand what a ticket pocket is and doesn't communicate with you.

I've tested a few, and the best is Xavier Custom Tailors. I bring all my stuff to him now and it always turns out well. He listens to what you want, but gives good advice and lets you know if it will turn out well in his professional opinion. Also, if he doesn't think he can work with it, he won't make you waste your money in trying to fix it.

I find that his pricing is quite fair, too. Charged me $60 for adding surgeon cuff's (4 on each side) and shortening the sleeve.

He may be out of your way, but give Xavier a shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads