• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations for WW Chan suits and jackets

Beardman

Reaction score
Sorry if there's a definitive thread already on this or a similar topic. I have a ton of bespoke WW Chan suits, jackets and pants that I've gotten over the years. I've recently lost twenty pounds, so I need alterations. I live in Philadelphia, but have easy access to NYC.

What's my best strategy?

See Patrick next time he's in NY and give him a bunch of garments to alter back in HK? Is there a tailor in NY or Philadelphia who can do the work reliably instead you folks can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a dedicated Chanfan, if all you need is to have the trousers and jackets taken in some, I am sure that any reasonably good alterations tailor, of whom there must certainly be many in both the cities you name, should be up to the job. If you have a "ton" of Chan garments, even though I know the "ton" is figurative, I doubt if Patrick is going to be willing to haul them around on the tour with him. More likely he would make note of the necessary alterations and tell you to ship them to HK. I think it would be considerably less expensive and more convenient to have the alterations performed by local talent...as long as you are confident your precious Chan garments are in good hands.

Last edited:

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I just got a note back from Fiona for some alterations I sent in recently. For the first time, she wants to charge me! I've never seen that happen and I've had lots of garments from them altered over the five-ish years I've done business with them. It's not a trivial amount, $85 per pair of trousers. The jacket needs more extensive alterations so who knows what she'll say about that.

If this is the way they are going to do business going forward... I may drive more of my business to Joe Hemrajani and Mina of NSM.. it's kind of a shame.

Of note here whenever I've had Chan do alterations, I've just mailed them back myself to Fiona. It's like $200 or more if you use Fedex, but the Flat Rate USPS Priority Mail International is $69 I think. Patrick has never (and never offered) to take them himself, which totally makes sense. I usually request alterations when on tour and then maybe send in a few things to be changed.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Adding to JLibourel's comment: a good local alterations tailor is your best route. Quicker and cheaper.

Also nice work losing 20lb. Wow!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a note back from Fiona for some alterations I sent in recently. For the first time, she wants to charge me! I've never seen that happen and I've had lots of garments from them altered over the five-ish years I've done business with them. It's not a trivial amount, $85 per pair of trousers. The jacket needs more extensive alterations so who knows what she'll say about that.

If this is the way they are going to do business going forward... I may drive more of my business to Joe Hemrajani and Mina of NSM.. it's kind of a shame.

Of note here whenever I've had Chan do alterations, I've just mailed them back myself to Fiona. It's like $200 or more if you use Fedex, but the Flat Rate USPS Priority Mail International is $69 I think. Patrick has never (and never offered) to take them himself, which totally makes sense. I usually request alterations when on tour and then maybe send in a few things to be changed.

What were you having done to the trousers? If it was a simple matter of taking in or letting out the waist, that's a $15 or $20 job at most local alterations tailors. If you were having the legs slimmed or something like that, obviously the charge would be higher.

Who or what is NSM?

Jsoftz

Reaction score

What were you having done to the trousers? If it was a simple matter of taking in or letting out the waist, that's a $15 or $20 job at most local alterations tailors. If you were having the legs slimmed or something like that, obviously the charge would be higher.

Who or what is NSM?

Just a waist change, taking it in a bit. And yeah, if I knew they were going to charge me I would have taken it to my local alterations guy. In the past I haven't been charged. Fiona says it is because my "size change," but I've never had them charge me before. I am already in for the shipping each way..

It doesn't appear that they are going to charge me for the Jacket alteration since this is a change to the fit (removing shoulder padding).

NSM = Napoli Su Misura. I had a jacket made by Mina Adamo there and I love it, it's just more expensive than Chan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads