• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had similar questions about my Edward Green alligator Chelseas. I want to send them to EG for a resole/recraft in the near future, but something about sending my cherished exotic shoes to England and back makes me queasy.

Also Bick 4 is awesome on crocodile and alligator skin. What do people think of Saphir Reptan?

Last edited:

Iyor

Reaction score

a license to own a pair of gator shoes ?   I know I don't have and won't get a license to continue owning the 3 shoes I have with alligator trim
they were delayed in customs and there were import duties that had to be paid but the cites paperwork was filed by the guy who made them
which was reviewed by fish & wildlife before they were released for delivery.  the southeast harvests gator by the truckload - where would you think
the hides go and used for what . . . . they aren't just a meat source.

Like I said it may be different for businesses. The license is to import. If leatherfoot doesn't provide the proper paperwork you might not get your shoes.

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 came from Italy 1 came from Austria and NO, the customer does not need a license to 'import' or take possession
of what was made for them. a relatively highly regarded company like Leatherfoot isn't going to take an order, take the money then tell us 'oh by the way, we need your import license before we can send these to you .... don't have one ? tough chit'

Ttown doesn't need to get riled up over nothing. At least until the import duties invoice comes.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

absolutely not.  whoever you bought them from will handle the paperwork for you.
   you may experience a delay in customs if they're coming from outside the US but the declarations will be made

Are you sure about it few ppl able ve said that I can get in some legal trouble to me not worth the hassel but I do love those shoes new to the gator world & was thinking for boot DM gator boot from Stcrispin

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's time to calm down T if that were true how many people in the US, not to mention this forum, do you think are in trouble and just don't know it . . . . me included. if you are purchasing through a retailer, particularly, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Me ? I'll be in hot water again later this year but here's a hint for you . . . . when mine came through customs, they also went through F&W with no harm, no foul just more money. It will happen the same way next time

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather foot takes your money & give you the shoe & send the shoe through fedex customer person who is importing is totally liable for all the import tax and headache. I have emailed them to find this out. They didn't mention any of this to me when I was communicating with them.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather foot takes your money & give you the shoe & send the shoe through fedex customer person who is importing is totally liable for all the import tax and headache. I have emailed them to find this out. They didn't mention any of this to me when I was communicating with them.

you can't avoid import duties that's just pay to play

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it would be exactly the same process Carmina would file the cites paperwork & once it was revealed they were exotics, customs & Fish & Wildlife would become involved before they were forwarded to you.
revert back to the pay to play concept.

Last edited:

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 came from Italy    1 came from Austria  and NO, the customer does not need a license to 'import' or take possession
of what was made for them.  a relatively highly regarded company like Leatherfoot isn't going to take an order, take the money then tell us 'oh by the way, we need your import license before we can send these to you .... don't have one ? tough chit'

Ttown doesn't need to get riled up over nothing.   At least until the import duties invoice comes.

It's sort of like speeding....everyone does it, sometimes you get pulled over - most the time you don't. But when you do, it gets expensive.

Whether you want to believe it or not, it is illegal to import App1 products without a license, a permit and the proper CITES docs. And a retailer has no ability to file these docs.....a retailer wouldn't have the information to even file them #1, and #2 they have to be obtained - after a waiting period - in person. The laws for this work are VERY complicated....take it from someone who actually does this, spends plenty of time at the Ships Office at JFK, knows Valley Stream well and has had the pleasure of sitting thru the seminars, along side my armed case officer, so I could get my name off of the Black List and get back to delivering goods.

How do I import or export my commercial wildlife shipment?
Generally, you must import or export your shipment through one of our designated ports , declare your shipment to us on a special form , and receive clearance from us for your shipment.

In most cases, you must be licensed with us and pay user fees for each shipment.

What is wildlife?
Wildlife is any living or dead wild animal, its parts, and products made from it. Wildlife not only includes mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish, but also invertebrates such as insects, crustaceans, arthropods, molluscs and coelenterates.

How do you define import?
Any wildlife introduced or brought into, or landed on, any place under U.S. jurisdiction is an import.

Does U.S. Customs and Border Protection use the same definitions?
No. Our rules apply to some shipments that Customs does not consider imports or exports.

Really though @TtownMD, you can simply call the Fish & Wildlife Service at Valley Stream, explain the situation and they will advise you how to proceed. If you get an officer in a good mood, it might be simple/nothing! Just make sure to note the officers name and date/time of conversation, and then you can rest easy.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it would be exactly the same process   Carmina would file the cites paperwork & once it was revealed they were exotics, customs & Fish & Wildlife would become involved before they were forwarded to you.
revert back to the pay to play concept.

EXACTLY!

The manufacturer can file and handle all of the paperwork correctly........a retail store, however, is a different story. A retail cannot file the paperwork because they don't have the tag #'s TO file the paperwork - or the export license. The factory, yes.

We do the same thing, and we always then handle the transaction thru one of our accounts/stores here in the US. This way the paperwork all lines up. The few times we shipped directly to a clients home, we actually ran the paperwork thru an account here (who we knew had FW license) but had the goods transshipped directly to the client. I suppose they never knew.....but this way there was no risk.

edited for clarity

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members