• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info

Wowee Zowee

Reaction score
Wore them today
Kd9v3e5.jpg

My phone can't figure out colors for jeans or shoes... :censored:
Seeing the seconds up for sale has prompted me to look into these. Are these pictured the snuff suede?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing the seconds up for sale has prompted me to look into these. Are these pictured the snuff suede?
Yes. After a lot of miles and a suede-shampoo bath. Here's Day 1:
uwF12NN.jpg

3nNiIDW.jpg

Most recent wear:
cgAcTVq.jpg

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only really have one pair of good shoes- the unlined Alden snuff suede loafers in the Van last, I think. I wear an 8.5D in those- would that also work for these? I see MassDrop is offering the AE seconds for a low price right now and they seem to have almost full size runs in everything.

Also, is it worth it? Any Canadians get slapped with stupid duties?

Dicky Dicardo

Reaction score
I only really have one pair of good shoes- the unlined Alden snuff suede loafers in the Van last, I think. I wear an 8.5D in those- would that also work for these? I see MassDrop is offering the AE seconds for a low price right now and they seem to have almost full size runs in everything.

Also, is it worth it? Any Canadians get slapped with stupid duties?

I have a 9E in the Brooks unlined version of the Alden LHS and a 9.5D in the MD unlined chukka. 9D would work for me in the unlined LHS, but I don't think any other size would work for me in the MD chukka. I think you'd probably need a 9D in the MD chukka.

Personally, I'd be leery of the seconds. I saw some firsts that I wouldn't be happy with. I could live with a small cut on the suede, but I wouldn't want mis-aligned laces, a crooked toe puff, or even an exaggerated toe puff.

I don't know when Grant Stone will have another sale, but their suede PTB at $249 is well worth the difference if you are just looking for a suede shoe. At $340, maybe not so much. Of course, if you specifically want an unlined chukka, that is not an option. While many may disagree, I feel that unlined is nice but overrated. It has both advantages and disadvantages.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for as close to the Alden unlined chukka as I can get, which are these. $700 CDN for a pair of Aldens is not realistic with my budget. I’ll look into those other options, though.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know when Grant Stone will have another sale, but their suede PTB at $249 is well worth the difference if you are just looking for a suede shoe. At $340, maybe not so much.

Grant Stone sells their suede PTB's for $320 these days, and I wouldn't expect a sale any time soon. I'm up to four pairs of their stuff now, and they're all easily as nice as my Aldens. At their regular price I think they're a very solid value.

Of course, if you specifically want an unlined chukka, that is not an option. While many may disagree, I feel that unlined is nice but overrated. It has both advantages and disadvantages.

I never really cared much for chukkas until I tried on the unlined Alden chukkas, and grabbed two pairs of MD chukkas and later an Alden pair, and all of them are a degree of comfortable that I didn't get from a Dundee or other chukkas I tried before that.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9.5E in 5/65 last (Can only be worn with thin dress socks, required stretching at the ball, ankle a bit loose)

10D in 1/511 last for Varno 2.0 (Probably my most comfortable pair of shoes. Just enough room to be comfortable, no heel slip).

The Varno 2.0 is essentially a Leeds 2.0 with a mini lug sole. As I understand it, the 2.0 models have a poron insole. So I don't know if the volume was changed between the two models.

Should I just go with 10D for this pair?

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9.5E in 5/65 last (Can only be worn with thin dress socks, required stretching at the ball, ankle a bit loose)

10D in 1/511 last for Varno 2.0 (Probably my most comfortable pair of shoes. Just enough room to be comfortable, no heel slip).

The Varno 2.0 is essentially a Leeds 2.0 with a mini lug sole. As I understand it, the 2.0 models have a poron insole. So I don't know if the volume was changed between the two models.

Should I just go with 10D for this pair?
I'm a 10D in the 511 too and I have the MD chukkas in 10D. They fit great. The suede is so pliable that it can stretch if need be with no issues.

Jac_Cottrell

Reaction score
To help people with sizing:

I just picked up a pair of Chocolate of the Bay from the last drop. I measure at 11.5E, but I am new to the nice shoe game and am learning what works in what last, etc. I do not have any of the 'AE Classics' to offer a comparison, but for the most part 11.5E has done right by me (I also have a 12D on a 42 last that works, and a 11.5D on a 108 last that fits snug).

These are 11.5D, and while I was a little concerned, I figured that being unlined I would have a better chance of them fitting. They fit like a champ, I don't think that I would wanted anymore size or width - they would be too loose. Granted, they are used, they may have been tighter when new. They are so amazingly comfortable, they really feel like office slippers! The uppers are very unstructured, they flop over when you take them off.

Short story, I am now strongly considering the Olive from the current drop in the same size.

IMG_3616.jpeg

jorijori

Reaction score
Did anyone who own Alden unlined chukka buy these? I have Alden in snuff suede and want the chocolate one but these AE at half the price are definitely very tempting. How do they compare?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone who own Alden unlined chukka buy these? I have Alden in snuff suede and want the chocolate one but these AE at half the price are definitely very tempting. How do they compare?
I've had multiple of both. Leydon is a little spooky, so if your Aldens are Leydon, I'd probably want other sizing to give you a thought on how the 511-based AExMD sizes in comparison. If they're Barrie it's a bit simpler.

I got an olive pair from the first run with that color - they seemed narrower than the snuff/choco pairs I had, but still a D for me. If an E was available, I'd probably prefer that. Very TTS for length IMHO.

jorijori

Reaction score
@M635 thanks. I wear 10D Leydon & I just ordered 10D on these AE drop. I figured these are exact copy of Alden unlined chukka. So 10D Leydon is equivalent to AE 10D?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@M635 thanks. I wear 10D Leydon & I just ordered 10D on these AE drop. I figured these are exact copy of Alden unlined chukka. So 10D Leydon is equivalent to AE 10D?
Generally yes. Shape/proportions are different, but they're both a little long and a little narrow

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smellgoodguy