• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Corrected Grain?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any known AE models that fit the following criteria?

1. Are composed of corrected grain

and

2. Retail for over $300

and

3. Are a lace up dress shoe with a leather sole

I'm assuming that their crosstown collection might have corrected grain but I'm more concerned to know if they regularly price any CG shoes above the $300 mark.

thanks

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you actively seek expensive corrected grain shoes? If you want something in corrected grain you can have it for much less than $300.

I do think that AE offers the MacClain (I may be gettin ghte name wrong) in black corrected grain. Whichever model it is, its a double-soled longwig that also comes in #8 shell.

Church's also offers a number of expensive "Polished Binder" shoes that may fit your bizare desires.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only corrected grain AEs I have come across are some older models. IIRC a burgundy McCallister

Corrected grain is not at horrible as some think. I believe AE would select that leather for some shoes based on color or other properties, the CG part be damned.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
The only corrected grain AEs I have come across are some older models. IIRC a burgundy McCallister Corrected grain is not at horrible as some think. I believe AE would select that leather for some shoes based on color or other properties, the CG part be damned.
Most CG is pretty horrible, in my book. Mainly because I don't care for the "benefits," such as they are. But yeah, some is better than others. Did you see the recent post comparing a modern AE with the same model from a few years ago? Might have been over at AA. Double soles are much thinner now, etc. I'm not going to draw any grand conclusions based on that one post, but I'll be more cautious about giving them the benefit of the doubt.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
they have 4-6 models currently that come in CG.

thanks, from searching "polished" on their website, I found these models, which I assume are corrected grain:

1. Macneil in black
2. Stowe (tassel loafer marked "polished calf" and retail at $225)
3. Walden (loafer marked "polished calf" and retail at $225)
4. Shelton (as mentioned above)

And the McAllister came up on that search but I don't think that one is CG, unless I'm mistaken?

Anyone know of any models I haven't listed?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE POST....

Just because it shows up under polished leather doesn't mean that every shoe under that model name is corrected grain. They make many of their models in corrected grain and calfskin (also shell).

The MacNeil comes in all 3.

POLISHED LEATHER is AEs term for corrected grain.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE POST....

Just because it shows up under polished leather doesn't mean that every shoe under that model name is corrected grain. They make many of their models in corrected grain and calfskin (also shell).

The MacNeil comes in all 3.

Which is why I put "Macneil in black" ... the black model being the polished leather...and the third color must be discontinued because there are only two colors currently listed on the AE website

POLISHED LEATHER is AEs term for corrected grain.
So when you search for "polished" or "cobbler" the McAllister comes up, but when you look at the individual colors, none of the three are described as "polished." Unless "black custom calf" or "burnished calf" is synonymous with "polished cobbler?"

abcx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
thanks, from searching "polished" on their website, I found these models, which I assume are corrected grain: 1. Macneil in black 2. Stowe (tassel loafer marked "polished calf" and retail at $225) 3. Walden (loafer marked "polished calf" and retail at $225) 4. Shelton (as mentioned above) And the McAllister came up on that search but I don't think that one is CG, unless I'm mistaken? Anyone know of any models I haven't listed?
While I am no expert on identifying CG (small-timer alert), I think the Walden is CG. The Walden that I bought two months ago, worn maybe 15-20 times at most, has terrible creasing. I will try to post pictures to show what I am talking about. Meanwhile, can anyone confirm that the Walden is indeed CG? If it is, I am staying away from CG for the rest of my life. If it isn't, well, then there's something definitely wrong with the piece I have. From what I've read here and from this picture it definitely looks like CG. The Everett, which is very similar, looks like a much better shoe.

abcx

Reaction score
Images
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
thanks, from searching "polished" on their website, I found these models, which I assume are corrected grain:

1. Macneil in black
2. Stowe (tassel loafer marked "polished calf" and retail at $225)
3. Walden (loafer marked "polished calf" and retail at $225)
4. Shelton (as mentioned above)

And the McAllister came up on that search but I don't think that one is CG, unless I'm mistaken?

Anyone know of any models I haven't listed?

The EUR Macallisters are corrected grain. I bought a pair unknowingly on evilBay and asked AE why. My brother has them in Germany and loves them...but then again he has never visited SF!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads