• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaRKle

Reaction score
This will be my 2nd pair of Allen Edmonds. I am looking to purchase the dalton wingtip dress boots bourbon since its on sale right now I wear a 7.5 (D) width in the Strand. Do I get the same size and width, 7.5 (D) for the dalton wingtip boot? Or get size 7.5 (E)? The strand in 7.5 (D) fits me perfectly.

I would stick to the same size in the Dalton. You will have a bit more room in the ball of the foot, but it shouldn't be loose. You definitely won't want to size up on the width going from the 65 to 511 last.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if AE x Brooks Brothers shoes come with bags? Just got a pair in the mail that appear a little beat up in a box that clearly took a big hit at some point. Shoes are laced and there are no bags in the box.

If you're ordering from an AE outlet or the shoebank, then no they don't. If you got them from BB, I would contact customer service.
I've bought a couple pairs from the BB retail store and they did not come with the bags. Violin guy?
satisfied.gif

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those. Just not sure of the Cognac color, would like to see in person. Hard to do in AZ. One AE store in the valley and I'm not up to fighting mall nuts tomorrow.
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your comments. Your "stab in the dark" made me chuckle. Not a brag, but it is probably closer to 90% of the people around me. Engineer types wear the same pair or two of shoes until they wear out. Which usually doesn't take long as most of them are cheap crap.

I agree that the bourbon looks a bit better in the Strand than the Mcallister, just not sure I want another Strand, although I love mine. The Carlyle is growing on me.
I take offense at that - that doesn't apply to everyone
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

But kidding aside - if the McTavish fit you ok, you totally don't need to see the cognac in person - the color is killer, I can attest to that. The tan is a little too light. I got the black a while back - it has enough brown contrast stitching and combined with the brown edge it isn't bad, but on hindsight cognac was the way to go.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!  How have you liked them?

I really like them. I intend to use them as a foul weather dress boot. The leather is super soft, especially when compared to my calf version. The dainite sole will need a little more break-in.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Neo1
I totally agree with heel slip, and cannot abide it myself, but I find your patience overwhelming. I could never suffer twice a week for that long waiting for shoes to break in.

Ben in Freeport got me fitted in 65s (up a size, same width, tongue pads to shove me back in the heel so it doesn't slip) and then after all that work told me straight up to just wait for something in a different last. Now I call him with questions about shoebank items -- seems strange to have a rep literally at the opposite corner of the country, but he's straight up helpful.

Anyway, a question. How red is your russet brown Freiburg? I swear, I hear russet brown I think an Idaho potato, but the website looks significantly redder than I'd expect.
rotflmao.gif
Once you have faced the demon that is the Redwing Beckman, breaking in anything else is a walk in the park.

tharkun

Reaction score
If you're ordering from an AE outlet or the shoebank, then no they don't. If you got them from BB, I would contact customer service.

Sometimes they do I suppose. Unless BB is special in that regard. One of the Sauk Drive 2nds I ordered came with bags, the other didn't. My Leeds 2nds didn't.

Last edited:

tharkun

Reaction score
@Neo1
I totally agree with heel slip, and cannot abide it myself, but I find your patience overwhelming. I could never suffer twice a week for that long waiting for shoes to break in.

Ben in Freeport got me fitted in 65s (up a size, same width, tongue pads to shove me back in the heel so it doesn't slip) and then after all that work told me straight up to just wait for something in a different last. Now I call him with questions about shoebank items -- seems strange to have a rep literally at the opposite corner of the country, but he's straight up helpful.

Anyway, a question. How red is your russet brown Freiburg? I swear, I hear russet brown I think an Idaho potato, but the website looks significantly redder than I'd expect.

@Russet Brown: I have Sauk Drives, not Freiburgs, but I find them pretty red. My local cobbler matched the color with a "Bordeaux" cream and I'd say it's pretty accurate. Maybe Bordeaux is a bit too red compared to the Russet Brown. I plan on mixing it with something darker from time to time.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PSA. The shoe bank site prices have been updated for the winter clearance prices. :slayer: Go and get them.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel like we're losing focus here. all this talk about bourbon, when this handsome gentleman has an excellent question about merlot!

Ultimately, it's your own call. You have to feel comfortable wearing it. That being said, on a formal pair like that, the scar/wrinkle looks very out of place. Also, the toe seems to be heavily burnished, but that might come off over time. I would try to exchange, but that may not be possible since Merlot is a close out color with limited sizes available.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't blame you at all. One more pic that is closer to true color:
Can confirm. I've seen these in person recently (at the AZ Biltmore store ;-)) and they look very close to this picture.

Mark_Y

Reaction score

Which specific shoes are you looking at?  I haven't noticed any changes...

All the bourbon have dropped in price at Shoebank from yesterday. That's all I'm really looking at right now, so haven't paid attention to other shoes.

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone. While I like the cognac mentioned above, I really want a bourbon shoe, and now that they're on sale, I'm going to pull the trigger. Software engineer manager, 56, in Arizona. Chinos and a button down shirt, sweater in cooler weather. Help me choose. Side note, I have 4 Strands, of the 13 paris of AE, no shoes in bourbon.

Carlyle

Fifth Avenue

Park Avenue

Mcallister

Strand

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

shoelover

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone. While I like the cognac mentioned above, I really want a bourbon shoe, and now that they're on sale, I'm going to pull the trigger. Software engineer manager, 56, in Arizona. Chinos and a button down shirt, sweater in cooler weather. Help me choose. Side note, I have 4 Strands, of the 13 paris of AE, no shoes in bourbon.

Carlyle

Fifth Avenue

Park Avenue

Mcallister

Strand

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Look for a blucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads