• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish the Freiburg was more of a regular boot shape. I like the general idea of the shoe, but its shaped too much like a chukka boot.

I am guessing that was the idea...personally I wish they took that russet leather and made the Oddenwald on the B34 with a captoe..would have been cool

22busy

Reaction score

Pics brah. Unwritten rule :)

These are bourbon. I don't care to duplicate the same model in different colors. I prefer to diversify. This is the only shoe I would like in several different colors, including oxblood.

The toes are way too dark on these. I've since toned them down. Just the tips are darkened.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourbon is a great color. It's the color I seen in person while passing a local menswear store on my way to work.

redmusic1

Reaction score
I'm still new to the denim game. My previous job required suits and OJC fits, and I was told last year by my current boss that I was overdressing just wearing wool trousers, lol....

I taught music production at a university a few years back. I was told a few times by my boss that I was over dressing for our department. I think she wanted to appear more laid back and hip than the performance department. (They didn't get along.) One faculty member always wore shorts (all year round) and crazy shirts, one always wore a knit shirt and trousers, and my boss typically dressed like she was about to do yard work. I won't deny that this kind of stuff is typical for engineers and songwriters who worked freelance to wear. However, I just ignored her and wore wool trousers and a tie anyway. Just because I was teaching a bunch of kids who came to class in sweatpants, doesn't mean I should have ignored the fact that I was in an academic setting shaping lives. But I share all that just to say, I get it. I went out on the road with a band for a while after that and had to buy some denim anyway. However, I never figured it out myself, and I went back to slacks and chinos as soon as I got off the road. I own one pair of jeans now, and I can't remember the last time I wore them. It's been at least since last December, but I think more like August.

aejc

Reaction score
I need a little AE advice. I thought I'd post it here instead of making a new thread? I need an oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoe for work. I'm a doctor working in an outpatient clinic, so I wear dress pants, button up shirt, tie, and white coat. I need SF's opinion on the Strand vs. Carlyle. I probably prefer the simplicity of the Carlyle, but I don't want the shoe to be too formal. So my question is, does the oxblood color tone down a plain toe enough to wear in the clinic? I do like the Strand as an alternative, but I don't want anything too "loud." I'd probably be going for the 5th Ave if it came in oxblood, but alas.
All are good choices. The Carlyle and Strand are on different lasts (8 v. 5) so pick the one that offers the best fit. The Carlyle will work with dress pants. Another alternative: given that you mentioned the Fifth Avenue, which is available in dark chili, rather than oxblood: the Nathan, which is the AE for JosABank version of the Fifth Avenue on the 8 last is available in burgundy (and it is definitely burgundy, although it appears to be black on the JosBank.com website).

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder what last its on. Looks great and great price. I typically buy at a local department chain and they match Nordstrom or any pricing. :)

I'd like to know what last these are on, as well. The 2 last, perhaps? Would be very interested in a walnut pair.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kahuna75 Damn...im now almost certain the overlord won't work for me at all. And probably not the Freiburg either. Hmm...

@cc808314 You're talking about that player shoe lookalike? I'm 99% sure it is not the 2 last - I don't think they'll ever make anything on that again. I'd take a shot in the dark and say the 108 like the "player 2.0" but it would be a total guess.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Larger...and more forgiving of a leather...I can put them side by side if you would like but I could not wear a McTavish in a 12D EVER and the overlord I could
Dusted off my McTavish and tried them on with standard dress socks - absolutely no-go. With medium weight socks even I feel like I could have accommodated a B width, the D is already a lot.
angry.gif

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
How did you size them?

Now that they have arrived in a 10.5e, I'd say that the 201 is basically the 511 last with an elongated toe. Going shorter in length then your normal size would not be advised as I put it against a Dalton and the only thing different is the toe length.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Larger...and more forgiving of a leather...I can put them side by side if you would like but I could not wear a McTavish in a 12D EVER and the overlord I could

Dusted off my McTavish and tried them on with standard dress socks - absolutely no-go.  With medium weight socks even I feel like I could have accommodated a B width, the D is already a lot.  :angry:

What size did you get the Normandy in? Assuming you dropped a full size from measured for it that might work with the overlords.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I taught music production at a university a few years back. I was told a few times by my boss that I was over dressing for our department. I think she wanted to appear more laid back and hip than the performance department. (They didn't get along.) One faculty member always wore shorts (all year round) and crazy shirts, one always wore a knit shirt and trousers, and my boss typically dressed like she was about to do yard work. I won't deny that this kind of stuff is typical for engineers and songwriters who worked freelance to wear. However, I just ignored her and wore wool trousers and a tie anyway. Just because I was teaching a bunch of kids who came to class in sweatpants, doesn't mean I should have ignored the fact that I was in an academic setting shaping lives. But I share all that just to say, I get it. I went out on the road with a band for a while after that and had to buy some denim anyway. However, I never figured it out myself, and I went back to slacks and chinos as soon as I got off the road. I own one pair of jeans now, and I can't remember the last time I wore them. It's been at least since last December, but I think more like August.

What instrument do you play, and where did you teach?

redmusic1

Reaction score
What instrument do you play, and where did you teach?

I mostly played bass but a number of other things occasionally, and I taught at a small liberal arts college called Delta State University. I taught DAWs, sound design, and programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads