• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are the "tan" McTavish.

Oh, maybe it's just the picture then, but they seemed a bit more red than mine. I really like the McTavish!

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do your pebble grain, Dainite-soled shoes squeak a lot when you walk around in them? My Dundees (which are borderline too big for me) squeak quite a bit.

I wore the Dundees for the first time today. They squeaked while walking from the parking garage to the office and maybe 1-2 hours after getting to the office. No squeaking the rest of the day.

I did apply AE Cleaner / Conditioner and polish before wearing.

Chris

redmusic1

Reaction score
Just bought Brown Fifth Avenue on amazon. I'm loving them!
And those Brown FA's look fantastic. I want a brown pair of something so bad, I just haven't had the money. Between those and a chili pair someone posted a few days ago, its making me consider the FA for my new brown pair, which wasn't on my radar. I own a black pair and don't really think about them as eye catching until I see someone else post a pic of them. Funny how that works.

redmusic1

Reaction score
Right it's the light they look like the regular walnut strand shoes
i figured, but it kinda made me want a pair in a more natural tan. I realize what I'm seeing may be because of my monitor, but does anyone know if AE has ever made a natural colored strand model, weather a strandmok or some other stand-like model?

zeroEnergy

Reaction score

And those Brown FA's look fantastic. I want a brown pair of something so bad, I just haven't had the money. Between those and a chili pair someone posted a few days ago, its making me consider the FA for my new brown pair, which wasn't on my radar. I own a black pair and don't really think about them as eye catching until I see someone else post a pic of them. Funny how that works. 

Was on the same boat myself and I was looking on ebay for a whole year but FA rarely come up not at least in my size so when AE had rediscover America sale I finally bought them. Debated between walnut and brown but opted for brown since I had walnut strand. I'm happy with the brown!

redmusic1

Reaction score
Was on the same boat myself and I was looking on ebay for a whole year but FA rarely come up not at least in my size so when AE had rediscover America sale I finally bought them. Debated between walnut and brown but opted for brown since I had walnut strand. I'm happy with the brown!

Yeah, i would definitely chose brown myself because I have walnut strand and walnut cloud park avenue. I've mainly been trying to decide between brown lexington, brown strand, or brown fifth street. The fifth street is actually my first choice, but it rarely shows up in my size at the shoe bank, and didn't have much discount during this sale anyway. A may wind up trying the brown Jefferson 1.0, but as many times as I've seen the brown offering reappear in my size over the last couple of months, I'm thinking they must be the same pair people keep returning for good reason.

misterellington

Reaction score
Killing some time on an off-day yesterday, so I ventured up to the gritty South Bronx Burlington Coat Factory—where I'd already scored my “Scotch” (Whiskey)-colored Cordovan Florsheim Kenmoors, and my AE Scottsdales and Big Surs (Firsts on those—each for $99.00). No intention of spending anything today on shoes (Saw a nice Cole Haan textured leather iPad Mini-sized zip valise there last time that I had in hand), and then...

Then?

I f*cking stumble across these...Mercy...

Channeling ol' Peppercorn here, I found a pair of AE FIRSTS “Shaker Heights”, in buttery soft calf with the “Harris Tweed” side panels. Yeah...they're black—the supposedly dead, verboten color for anything but funerals as the fashionistas say...but Goddamn, I've got so much that works with these! Heather gray slim flannel stovepipe slacks, a pair of charcoal wool & cashmere slacks, a couple pairs of nice Michael Kors inky black jeans and even a pair of smoke gray vintage Versace wool & cashmere jeans.

I HAD to get em! The fit was amazing, the leather grade AMAZING in terms of softness, and they even still had the AE leather tag with the Harris Tweed identifier on the reverse.

$120.00

After seeing Pep's pics of his various Shakers with the herringbone and plaid panels, I was utterly envious. Then I got lucky yesterday.

Doing the Snoopy dance!

harlequin782

Reaction score

Killing some time on an off-day yesterday, so I ventured up to the gritty South Bronx Burlington Coat Factory—where I'd already scored my “Scotch” (Whiskey)-colored Cordovan Florsheim Kenmoors, and my AE Scottsdales and Big Surs (Firsts on those—each for $99.00). No intention of spending anything today on shoes (Saw a nice Cole Haan textured leather iPad Mini-sized zip valise there last time that I had in hand), and then... Then? I f*cking stumble across these...Mercy... Channeling ol' Peppercorn here, I found a pair of AE FIRSTS “Shaker Heights”, in buttery soft calf with the “Harris Tweed” side panels. Yeah...they're black—the supposedly dead, verboten color for anything but funerals as the fashionistas say...but Goddamn, I've got so much that works with these! Heather gray slim flannel stovepipe slacks, a pair of charcoal wool & cashmere slacks, a couple pairs of nice Michael Kors inky black jeans and even a pair of smoke gray vintage Versace wool & cashmere jeans. I HAD to get em! The fit was amazing, the leather grade AMAZING in terms of softness, and they even still had the AE leather tag with the Harris Tweed identifier on the reverse. $120.00 After seeing Pep's pics of his various Shakers with the herringbone and plaid panels, I was utterly envious. Then I got lucky yesterday. Doing the Snoopy dance!
God DAMN!

misterellington

Reaction score
Still would have passed.....black....I center all my clothes around not black. Going through my closet today and found some black suede loafers.... Going to get flipped or donated.

Understood. LOL! I used to have so much black, and navy and gray—but now I've sooooooo much camel, and tan, and British Tan, burgundy, dark brown, espresso, rust, snuff, olives and all manner of tweeds...that I can afford to incorporate some black like this. Have an amazing Flannel Bay Napoli black velvet blazer I intend to rock with a pale gray merino turtleneck and these shoes. AND a great black vintage lapeled waistcoat I can work these with.

But then...I live in NYC where black is de riguer for so many of us, which moves me to drop things like this into the wardrobe:

L to R—Tan Zegna Herringbone, Blue René Lezard Herringbone, and Green/Wheat Vintage Cricketeer Herringbone wool sportcoats. I rock the AE Espresso Jodox/Bourbon Bleecker Streets with the Zegna, the Blue Suede Stewarts/Merlot Franciscans/Burgundy Scottsdales with the Lezard, and the Snuff Schautals/Snuff Gobis/Nutmeg Big Surs, and Walnut Hollywood Web Gems with the Green Cricketeer.

I do mix a LOT of color shoes in, but I couldn't pass up those damn Shakers. Such an awesome style—discontinued too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads