• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jubu

Reaction score
Can anyone help me size some Grayson loafers in comparison to 65 last sizing? Do you all normally just go with the same size? I've got narrow heels and worried about heel slip with it being a loafer--wondering if i should go down half a size or width...Want to jump on a pair I spotted on the Shoebank....thanks!

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone help me size some Grayson loafers in comparison to 65 last sizing? Do you all normally just go with the same size? I've got narrow heels and worried about heel slip with it being a loafer--wondering if i should go down half a size or width...Want to jump on a pair I spotted on the Shoebank....thanks!
I'd take TTS for the Grayson.

jubu

Reaction score
I'd take TTS for the Grayson.

Thanks @watchidiot -- do you think the toe box is roomier, or about the same as the 65-last?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure there are. You could try the AE conditioner/cleaner. Also check with the shoe care thread. There are many anti-saphir folks in there who should be glad to give you suggestions.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the AE catalog. No $50 code for me.
angry.gif
While some of the pix are better, others are still incredibly dark.

Also, PSA, There is a pair of new truffle shell mcgraws on the bay. Size 12, i think.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No code for me either. They save them for people who haven't purchased much or in a long time. Not for folks they think are likely to buy anyway. Which is not exactly me anymore. Too bad they don't choose to reward the most loyal customers ;)

redmusic1

Reaction score
I got a $50 off one pair of shoes coupon. Of course, I'm not sure what I would buy with only $50 off one pair (besides a moc which gets them back to the intro price) that wouldn't be cheaper during the upcoming sale. It's just marketing in the mean time to those less in the know, and since loyal customers are looking forward to the sale anyway, you could always take not getting some measly $50 off one pair code as a sign of respect. I see it kinda like a JAB commercial for buy one suit and get one free. Maybe if its the only JAB commercial you've ever seen, or JABs the only place to buy a suit at that very moment and you must have a suit that day for some crazy reason. If it had been something like $50 off $150+ or even $200+, I may have jumped on a few belts and some accessories. But then why would they offer a discount on those things that probably have the highest markup? Ah, the retail business. I don't miss it.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jubu of course I defer to the watchman, as he was more of these than anyone else. But toebox is NOT the same as 65. Much more taper, I would even say the most of any last. I would go with your 65 size exactly and see from there. Trouble with 97 loafers is the heel is already large, so going up in width throws the heel off even more. Give them a try -

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my 3 pairs of shoes came yesterday (speedy shipping from the warehouse!). The Rutledge is a very nice shoe, and the 333 last fits me well, despite never having tried a shoe on it before. My only problem is the overly heavy black burnishing all over them - much heavier than other photos would indicate. I'm wondering if I can "undo" most of it with either AE conditioner/cleaner or something else (similar to when people clean a pair of bourbon shoes). The second pair is the Brooks Kenwood Brown/Blue as listed on the shoebank website. It's a very nice looking shoe, but I may not keep it simply because it was not what I was looking for when I bought it. Otherwise they look fantastic. And lastly, the Brooks Duke Tartan Plug. This is the loafer I was looking for, and it's a steal as seconds (I really don't see any flaws on them). I'm still not 100% sure I will keep them either, gotta make sure I will actually put them to use. I like the tartan pattern, I have the BB tartan Shaker Heights, and a matching signature tartan belt. Photos:
I kinda dig both of those loafers

RLeslieS

Reaction score
No code for me either. They save them for people who haven't purchased much or in a long time. Not for folks they think are likely to buy anyway. Which is not exactly me anymore. Too bad they don't choose to reward the most loyal customers
wink.gif
------------------------

No code for me, either. That really bites.

I guess I'll just have to save my shekels for the RDA sale, assuming there's something I want with a good enough discount. Right now, I'm thinking about the Macneil 2.0 Brown Grains, the Clark Street Natural CXLs, and the Strand in Oxblood. Not crazy about the orange Dainite sole on the Clarks, though -- may have to get a custom leather sole for those if I pull the trigger.

RLeslieS

Reaction score
----------------------

My sizing experience is different from watchidiot's. I take a 6 EEE in the 65 last but a 6.5E in the Grayson's 97 last. I guess it all comes down to foot shape.

Last edited:

HealthActuary

Reaction score
I made a huge lump sum purchase like 2 months ago and I got the $50 sticker :)

LanceM

Reaction score
I got a sticker too! Sucks you can't use the 50 off with the RDA sale! Oh well it's almost 15%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads