• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think essentially his issue is he is a heel-to-ball 10, but a heel-to-toe 8.5. Seems a bit extreme but everyone is different. In that case, taking 8.5 would result in the ball of his foot sitting too far forward in the shoe, whereas 10 is right for his heel-to-ball length but is obviously going to be roomy in the toe area. It's a larger difference than I've heard about, but could make sense.

Last edited:

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
Re: Misaligned blucher eyelets

What's your level of tolerance for this issue? Specifically on 1st quality cordovan.

Personally I can't stand it.
Thanks.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Misaligned blucher eyelets

What's your level of tolerance for this issue? Specifically on 1st quality cordovan.

Personally I can't stand it.
Thanks.

I tolerate it as long as it's not egregious. If the bottom lace is ~45 degrees or more off-kilter, I'll return or get another pair.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lovely shoes, but dressy for jeans, no? :inlove:

Haha! Busted. DEFINITELY too dressy for THOSE jeans, I agree.

But regarding formality, I find that AE's burnished oxblood leans more casual than formal. The underlying calf is quite light in color, and the deep burnishing effect is actually very flashy. It's nowhere near as formal as a true oxblood.

But regarding the photo: It's no one but me in the practice studio late at night, and I decided to give them some break-in time before returning to the office in the fall.

Last edited:

smoothmoose

Reaction score

I myself also have wide feet but short toes; where I am measured between 8D/8.5D on Brannock,or Printable chart from AE gives me 8E/8.5E. 
I have been wearing PA 8E for about year and my pinky toes still feels tight at the end of the day. I am still debating whether I should still get another pair of 8E for next pair of 5th last AE.

but I cannot see how 8.5 -> 10 size helped you better ... it seems very odd for me lol.

My big toe is shorter than my first toe. And over the past year, I've switched all my training/running shoes to wide toe box. I basically went up 1/2 size for all my training shoes. It's surprising how much your fit changes with a change in your foot posture.

The shoes look good, especially for the price you paid. Fit is tricky for your first pair and I learned the hard way that you cannot rely on a brannock or the printable chart to size yourself properly. The first pair of Allen Edmonds I bought were black Park Avenues. I measured myself on a brannock and tried on a few sizes in a local store that stocked AE as I did not have an AE store near me. I measured between 8.5D and 8.5E on the brannock (or so I thought). I ordered the 8.5E and wore them a few times. They felt a little tight but I read that they should "break in". After wearing the shoes a few times and eventually starting a new job in NYC, I thought something was off and my feet began to hurt so I went to an AE store. I asked to be sized and found out that a combination of my wide arches and short toes meant that I should be wearing a 10D. The SA really helped me out (I sent an email to corporate and will forever order through her) and the 10D PAs I have now are the most comfortable dress shoe I have ever owned. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend going to an AE store to be sized. As for the heels feeling slightly loose, I thought the same but once broken in a lot of that goes away. My SA tells me to fit the ball, not the heel.

That is see a pretty big disparity. The ball area fit seems to be fine with the 65 last. It's everything else to seems a bit off ;-) With the loose heel, I agree with other shoes once broken in, most of the heel lift goes away. But still I find this annoying for most shoes I have and particular makes fitting loafer particular trouble some for me. If I size down in width, my toes and balls will get squished.

@smoothmoose - hmm... So I personally never tried the 201, but from what I heard about it I'd probably give that a try first(closed lace styles).

A few other ideas - the 511 has a more "classic" fit shape-wise. Instead of being longer and narrower, they are shorter and more full in the toe box. I was also going to mention the 73 - I feel like that last would work for the majority if people. Unfortunately (excluding boots), I think the Walton is the only thing left.

Being new to AE, I think you are wise to look into these other lasts earlier rather than later. They make a lot if the "timeless" styles in the 65 so most people immediately pick up like 3-4 pairs of those before admitting the 65 fit isn't great. Bottom line is there are many other options - definitely don't get hung up on the 65.
Thanks for the tips. I should probably goto a retail store and try a few options. I may go tomorrow while in downtown SF. Sometimes, online shopping seems a lot easier, but in the end, there drawbacks as well.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoes look good, especially for the price you paid. Fit is tricky for your first pair and I learned the hard way that you cannot rely on a brannock or the printable chart to size yourself properly. The first pair of Allen Edmonds I bought were black Park Avenues. I measured myself on a brannock and tried on a few sizes in a local store that stocked AE as I did not have an AE store near me. I measured between 8.5D and 8.5E on the brannock (or so I thought). I ordered the 8.5E and wore them a few times. They felt a little tight but I read that they should "break in". After wearing the shoes a few times and eventually starting a new job in NYC, I thought something was off and my feet began to hurt so I went to an AE store. I asked to be sized and found out that a combination of my wide arches and short toes meant that I should be wearing a 10D. The SA really helped me out (I sent an email to corporate and will forever order through her) and the 10D PAs I have now are the most comfortable dress shoe I have ever owned. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend going to an AE store to be sized. As for the heels feeling slightly loose, I thought the same but once broken in a lot of that goes away. My SA tells me to fit the ball, not the heel.

You are not the only one.

When I got fitted for my New Balance runner, Brannock had me at 8.5EE. In real life, I go with 10D as my 'TTS.'

smoothmoose

Reaction score

When I got fitted for my New Balance runner, Brannock had me at 8.5EE. In real life, I go with 10D as my 'TTS.'
Runners/trainers are different though. First off you don't usually get much options on width, most just offer one width. And given the flexibility of the fabric and lacing, it tends to mold much more easily to your feet compared to dress shoes.

That said, I personally appreciate the greater options available now for wide toe box runners/trainers. If only dress shoe makers made more lasts like that too...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
@althanis As a follow up, I received the PA in Merlot from the shoe bank today. They were excellent and I am unable to see any defect in finish or construction. Whatever the issue was that consigned them to the shoe bank is being completely missed by me. I got mine from SA Lisa in the Mebanc store and she checked them over before shipping and assured me I would love them. She was totally correct.

shoosensuits

Reaction score
The squeaks coming from my Mora 2.0s are driving me insane. They are over 6 months old with weekly rotation, so not a matter of breaking in. I've tried everything- baby powder, polish, conditioner, Vaseline (ran out of ideas)... nothing works for more than a few hours. I love the shoe, in fact I have a brand new pair in a different color waiting to be brought into the rotation but I won't wear it until I resolve this. The noise is coming from under the strap, as expected. Not an issue of fit either, they fit well.

Heeeelp.

Last edited:

miketheraven

Reaction score

Normandy boots in the flesh. Leather is sooooo soft! Hands down, most comfortable boots I own. However, word of caution, they seem extremely susceptible to scratching despite their rugged appearance.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The squeaks coming from my Mora 2.0s are driving me insane. They are over 6 months old with weekly rotation, so not a matter of breaking in. I've tried everything- baby powder, polish, conditioner, Vaseline (ran out of ideas)... nothing works for more than a few hours. I love the shoe, in fact I have a brand new pair in a different color waiting to be brought into the rotation but I won't wear it until I resolve this. The noise is coming from under the strap, as expected. Not an issue of fit either, they fit well.

Heeeelp.

Try a piece of felt under the strap??

I've kind of embraces the squeaks from my monks. And boots too, for that matter.

P12OFIT

Reaction score
I myself also have wide feet but short toes; where I am measured between 8D/8.5D on Brannock,or Printable chart from AE gives me 8E/8.5E.
I have been wearing PA 8E for about year and my pinky toes still feels tight at the end of the day. I am still debating whether I should still get another pair of 8E for next pair of 5th last AE.

but I cannot see how 8.5 -> 10 size helped you better ... it seems very odd for me lol.

My pinky toes were killing me in the 8.5E. My SA after realizing what my problem was told me that you must fit the ball of your foot, not the toes or the heel. Apparently she was right because after breaking them in the fit is absolutely perfect.

I think essentially his issue is he is a heel-to-ball 10, but a heel-to-toe 8.5. Seems a bit extreme but everyone is different. In that case, taking 8.5 would result in the ball of his foot sitting too far forward in the shoe, whereas 10 is right for his heel-to-ball length but is obviously going to be roomy in the toe area. It's a larger difference than I've heard about, but could make sense.

You are exactly correct.

I wear a 10D when it comes to running shoes as well, but obviously there is a different methodology behind fitting those shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads