• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been really appreciating my new Oxblood Eagle River boots. What a fantastic color! This pair was absolutely flawless.

shoelover

Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with this sole from AE? How does it compare to Danite? Is it soft, hard, is it obviously casual from eye level?

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
I've been really appreciating my new Oxblood Eagle River boots. What a fantastic color! This pair was absolutely flawless.

Those things are really glowing, pep. Did you do anything to them (polish, condition...buff...brush)? Color is awesome. Checking out the indentation on the right boot below the cap, though...how do they fit?

harlequin782

Reaction score
Ok...so it seems to be fairly common knowledge that colors like Bourbon and Oxblood are merely existing lighter colors with a strategic black burnish applied. And I know that Bourbon is just walnut leather with black burnishing on top..but what is the base color for Oxblood?..like, is it just a muted merlot? Or a generic burgundy or red with black burnish? Just curious. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with this sole from AE? How does it compare to Danite? Is it soft, hard, is it obviously casual from eye level?
It's about as hard as Dainite. I used to have that sole on some Madison aves that I used as rain beaters (shoe on left). AE put a exposed stitch so it looked like a dress shoe.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those things are really glowing, pep. Did you do anything to them (polish, condition...buff...brush)? Color is awesome. Checking out the indentation on the right boot below the cap, though...how do they fit?

Nope, straight from the box to the pavement.

Yeah the indentation is definitely pronounced on this pair, but tall my right shoes tend to crease in that same spot (that's where my bunion is), so I'm not too stressed about it.

For reference:

Fit is snug but comfortable. I expect it to give a little more this fall when I'm wearing them weekly.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok...so it seems to be fairly common knowledge that colors like Bourbon and Oxblood are merely existing lighter colors with a strategic black burnish applied. And we know that Bourbon is just walnut leather with black burnishing on top..but what is the base color for Oxblood?..like, is it just a muted merlot? Or a generic burgundy or red with black burnish? Just curious. Does anyone know?

Cherry calfskin. According to the spring promotional materials I got a while back...

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Quote:
I agree with this logic...100%... however I prefer the color the Bourbon is....I wish they could come up with a bourbon depth of color with dyes...I always find it sad when someone buys bourbon shoe and is not informed by whoever sold it to them that is burnished...then they screw them up as they start an un called for shoe care process reno, polish, mirror shine etc
Doesn't MATTER if the process is called for Kahuna... whenever it happens - called for or not - reno, conditioner, polish, lex cleaner and wax will ALL ruin your pristine bourbon burnish and eliminate any depth that was there previously. The black just...goes away. I agree that a better finishing process needs to be used on AE's bourbon selections, and dye would be the answer (museum calf finish does not disappear because its a PERMANENT, dyed finish.) As GMTO is effectively dead, maybe they can now focus on getting some things nailed down, like finishing a shoe with a process that doesn't immediately change for the worse when touched by any non-solid. (Wait...buffing may remove the finish, too.) My beautiful Larchmont and Mora 2.0 in bourbon are...bland looking now.

Hey...this could be a new revenue generator for AE - BOURBON MAINTENANCE SERVICES!!! Just send in your de-burnished bourbon AE for "re-bourboning"!!! ...35 bucks. They'll make a mint.
crazy.gif

LeviMay

Reaction score
The Leeds 2.0 is on the Shoebank, but not the regular site. The description is (almost?) identical, but I did notice mention of a Poron insole in the write-up. The bullet points above read "Double oak leather sole", but the write-up below says "Double butyl outsole". Are they the same thing? What makes it a 2.0?

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown Burnished vs. Bourbon for Lexington Cap-Toes?

I'm going to order the Lexington Cap-Toes, and I'm trying to decide on the color. I like brown, and I'm trying to decide between Brown Burnished and Bourbon. I've seen them both in person but I'm not sure which to get.

Incidentally, I don't like the Walnut or Chili, not my style, so I've ruled those out.

I like both the Brown Burnished and the Bourbon... I go back and forth. I worry that the Brown Burnished is too dark and might look too much like black especially indoors. To me, I feel like black shoes are boring, so I want to choose brown boldly. But then, sometimes the Bourbon look almost slightly greenish to me.

I work in a creative field, so I don't need to look formal or dress up for work. In addition, I'm also ordering the shell cordovan Park Avenues for when I actually need to wear my navy suit for a wedding or a TV segment.

For these brown / bourbon Lexingtons Cap-Toes, I'd say I'm aiming for rebel cool. I want to look less like a corporate professional and more like a movie star. Not that I will look anything like a movie star, but if those are two ends on a spectrum, I want to go toward that direction.

I'll be wearing the shoes mostly with darkish-rinse jeans and sporty shirts with button-down collars... sometimes with a black or dark navy linen sportcoat.

Any thoughts?

BROWN BURNISHED

BOURBON
[/quote

Both are nice colors. But for maximum versatility I would go with brown first. Actually brown kenilworth were my very first AE shoes and they are still going strong.

thehaviet

Reaction score
Questioning if getting my first pair of AE on brown was a good call...

walnut looks so beautiful

I can confirm the beauty of walnut. Had a pair of bourbon Daltons and sold them, they didn't fit great but the color wasn't all that I thought it would be in person.

I also love my Walnut Strand. Just got it a couple weeks ago as my first AE.

Now, I think it will be hard to find something better than those.

I am looking into getting the McAllister, but I don't want another Walnut. Bourbon, seems like just a darkened Walnut based on what was said here from other posters.

Anyone wearing McAllister or McGregor? What is your favorite colors on them? I need a color that goes well with chinos, jeans, and trousers. Thanks

mrfixit

Reaction score
I agree with this logic...100%... however I prefer the color the Bourbon is....I wish they could come up with a bourbon depth of color with dyes...I always find it sad when someone buys bourbon shoe and is not informed by whoever sold it to them that is burnished...then they screw them up as they start an un called for shoe care process reno, polish, mirror shine etc

i knew mine were burnished, but decided to try and clean up some overly dark spots. i thought i knew what i was doing. i did not. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads