• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, is the Bleeker St a seasonal shoe, really? Is it all that bad to have a Brogue Suede Strand?  If the weather is too bad to wear these, I'm wearing boots anyhow.

But yes, I've fallen into the trap of buying a bunch of low-priced seasonal or conditional-use shoes. However, I'm not convinced yet that it's so terrible. I don't go into an office regularly, and if I did, it's casual. I know that I"ll wear loafers and boat shoes all summer and boots all winter, and any other shoes I buy should be suitable for spring and fall.

The Long Branch is different, yes, but some of us don't dress up as often, or look forward to doing a reduced-price MTO.

How many pairs do you have? I think I have enough dress shoes for work even though I can pretty much get away with casual. However I like to dress up sometimes and I'm going to buy the carlyle for a nice sleek black pair.

I try to balance dress shoes and casual shoes so I have a good balance

rostov

Reaction score
How many pairs do you have? I think I have enough dress shoes for work even though I can pretty much get away with casual. However I like to dress up sometimes and I'm going to buy the carlyle for a nice sleek black pair.

I try to balance dress shoes and casual shoes so I have a good balance

I'm afraid to count...

1. Walnut Strand
  2. Walnut Shell Dalton (although I plan to sell this... 11E)
  3. Walnut Shreveport
  4. Brogue Suede Strand
  5. Distressed Ashbury
  6. Navy Banchory
  7. Snuff Gobi
  8. Black 5th Ave
  9. Cognac Ridgeway
  10. Duke loafer
  11. Brown Grain Eagle County
  12. Oxblood Eagle River (i.e. Eagle County) - in delivery
  13. Shell Macneils... - in delivery (from @peppercorn78 )

My mistakes in purchasing have been around sizing more than style. Four of the above just don't fit right and don't get much wear because of it. The Ridgeway and to a lesser extent, the Ashbury, were not nearly as attractive as I thought they might be. Eventually, I'll recraft the orange welt off the Ridgeway and it will be fine.

Next purchases will probably be the Kirkwood and a Long Branch.

(EDIT: these are all my shoes except a 12" Maine Hunting Boot and a pair of Rockport Perth boat shoes)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just got a pair of Long Branch boots (11.5 D), but unfortunately, the last is too narrow for my foot (I had the same issue with the Dalton and even upsized a half size this time). Has anyone else had this issue and gone to a wider width? I've got a pair of E width Eagle River boots on the way, so hopefully those fit my foot better.
Anyway, this LB is a great casual boot with otherwise comfortable Gumlite sole and v soft Dark Brown Grain Leather, but the width across the forefoot is a dealbreaker for me. So, I am looking to sell and thought this may be interest to some of you...
eBay item no.: 261792262490

Check out the link below. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261792262490?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm afraid to count...

1. Walnut Strand
  3. Walnut Shreveport
  4. Brogue Suede Strand
  5. Distressed Ashbury
  6. Navy Banchory
  7. Snuff Gobi
  8. Black 5th Ave
  9. Cognac Ridgeway
  10. Duke loafer
  13. Shell Macneils... - in delivery (from @peppercorn78
    )

My mistakes in purchasing have been around sizing more than style. Four of the above just don't fit right and don't get much wear because of it. The Ridgeway and to a lesser extent, the Ashbury, were not nearly as attractive as I thought they might be. Eventually, I'll recraft the orange welt off the Ridgeway and it will be fine.

(EDIT: these are all my shoes except a 12" Maine Hunting Boot and a pair of Rockport Perth boat shoes)

Nice list. For me I want to purchase shoes that are all different. I don't want the same shoe in different colors.

I see the Eagle river in brown but the sole is an ugly black, can we change this or the only way is MTO? No idea why AE would put black on the soles

Reaction score
@7_rocket -
Agree about the ER black welt/sole. Plus, I've seen online reviews that the Eagle River comes much lighter brown than pictured on the AE site, almost looks like a pale tan. I'm hoping to darken it enough with leather lotion and brown polish that it goes with the black welt better. The leather on the Eagle County looks much better, but the white sole is a non-starter for me. Plus, I got what seems to be one of the last stock pairs for $157- which I thought was a steal.

@rostov- if you are looking at the Long Branch, see my other post above. I would recommend trying the boots on in store to make sure you have the right fit on that last (511). The toe box is round, but feels narrow to me across the forefoot. Good luck!

Last edited:

rostov

Reaction score
Nice list. For me I want to purchase shoes that are all different. I don't want the same shoe in different colors.

I see the Eagle river in brown but the sole is an ugly black, can we change this or the only way is MTO? No idea why AE would put black on the soles

The only reason I bought the second Eagle County/River is because the first pair happens to be the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned. I suppose I did the same with the Brogue Suede Strand and the Walnut Strand, but these are so radically different, it hardly counts.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may have been covered somewhere in the 3700 or so pages of this thread, but the search function didnt find it...

Does anyone have an opinion on the sizing of the shell shoes versus the calf shoes? I have heard that the shell runs slightly larger. Opinions? Thanks!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@7_rocket-
Agree about the ER black welt/sole. Plus, I've seen online reviews that the Eagle River comes much lighter brown than pictured on the AE site, almost looks like a pale tan. I'm hoping to darken it enough with leather lotion and brown polish that it goes with the black welt better. The leather on the Eagle County looks much better, but the white sole is a non-starter for me. Plus, I got what seems to be one of the last stock pairs for $157- which I thought was a steal.

@rostov- if you are looking at the Long Branch, see my other post above. I would recommend trying the boots on in store to make sure you have the right fit on that last (511). The toe box is round, but feels narrow to me across the forefoot. Good luck!

Yes sir I saw that as well. But with polish it will darken anyways. I'm just very perplexed why they would go tan on black? The shoe is a good looking good and I'm tempted to get it as I don't have brown boots yet. I guess I'll get used to the black sole?

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my pair in from the sale finally. Less than 24hrs from order to door from Leeds. Look great. Some minor wrinkling on the side but evens out when worn.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welp just placed my order for the Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili (seconds).

iamelroberto

Reaction score

I'm afraid to count...

1. Walnut Strand
  3. Walnut Shreveport
  4. Brogue Suede Strand
  5. Distressed Ashbury
  6. Navy Banchory
  7. Snuff Gobi
  8. Black 5th Ave
  9. Cognac Ridgeway
  10. Duke loafer
  13. Shell Macneils... - in delivery (from @peppercorn78
    )

Why selling the daltons?

LanceM

Reaction score

This may have been covered somewhere in the 3700 or so pages of this thread, but the search function didnt find it...

Does anyone have an opinion on the sizing of the shell shoes versus the calf shoes? I have heard that the shell runs slightly larger. Opinions? Thanks!

I had the same question a few months ago. Most agree that shell is a little bit looser or wider than calf. I think mdubs mentioned they pull them looser on the last so, they don't tear it (since it is an expensive leather).

I had a pair of shell seconds sent to my retail store so, I could try it on. I can attest that they fit looser/wider than calf. I compared the Cambridge to the calf Mcallister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads