• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been away for a few weeks, but thought I'd contribute to the new year!

I have a hard time tracking when I purchased my AEs between late 2013 and 2014. I started in 2012 with just a Park Avenue and McTavish and it kind of blew up when I discovered the forum in 2013. To be honest, since the MTO program went away, I've been less attracted to the stock make ups so, unless I see a really enticing AE GMTO, I'm likely done with AE purchases for the time being. I'm actually trying to unload some since I have way too many wingtips. Still love the community and will be participating as much as I can. Here's to a 2015 AE lineup that makes me change my mind!

AE Purchases 2013/2014:
1. Neumok - Snuff Suede
2. Dalton - Burgundy Shell
3. Dalton - Walnut Shell
4. McAllister - Walnut
5. Strand MTO - Brown Shell
6. RL Sanderson - Brown
7. RL Saunders - Tan/Walnut
8. Malvern - Brown Suede
9. Promontory Point - Golden Brown CXL
10. Jefferson - Brown Shell
11. Norwich - Brown - Sold
12. McAllister - Burgundy Shell - Sold
13. Leeds - Burgundy Shell - Sold
14. Park Avenue - Burgundy Shell - Sold

Non-AE Purchases:
1. Cheaney Imperial x Andrew Lock - Beaulieu/Beaumont - Black
2. Crockett and Jones Hallam - Black
3. Alfred Sargent Hatton - Black
4. Crockett and Jones Marlow Wingtip - Brown Shell
5. Alfred Sargent Moore - Cherry
6. Tricker's Bourton - Blue Suede

On the way:
1. Carmina 757 Split Toe GMTO - Brown Scotchgrain
2. Allen Edmonds Eagle Country GMTO - Brown Grain (for the fiance)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel their shoes are alright but it gets on my nerves when people talk like these shoes are the best quality when in fact they are entry level/basic shoes.

LOL this probably isn't the thread for you then.

I think you'll find that most regulars here are well aware of the quality of AE relative to other brands, and chose to buy AE for a combination of factors, including price, a wide array of fittings and widths, convenience, availability in the US, and customer service.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Allen Edmond's and that is why I am here.

I just think it is rather silly to say they are the best quality when the opposite is more to the truth.

well welcome then...

however your statement is odd...in terms of opposite is more the truth? So you think they are closer to the worst shoes made?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Obvious troll is obvious.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Need some BB strand size advise. I size a 12D but size down to 11.5D in 5 last since the length is spot on. Now with the poron I fear that I'll get an ever greater lace gap. E width is swimming in the heel so that's out. Will the poron settle and the calf stretch enough to make up a little? Leanings towards the 12D for the little extra width.

This a cordovan Jeff in 11.5D

Calf PA in 12D

Now that I think about it the Jeff would have the Indy insole which might be comparable in volume to the poron. Any opinions?

Thanks.

lemmy127

Reaction score

What I mean is, when comparing something, it would be futile to compare anything to something else which is not in it's field. 

In that case, you're the one that's more hyperbolic than those that say they are the best. AE is easily in the upper echelon of the shoe world. Top 5-10% in terms of quality.

The problem is that you're only comparing AE to their highest end competitors. Of course John Lobb and Edward Green are better quality. They ought to be at quadruple the price.

It's like saying a 1968 Corvette is a terrible car because Lamborghinis and Ferraris exist, completely ignoring the fact that Pontiac Azteks, Ford Pintos, and Yugos exist.

N8ter

Reaction score
Quote CSmitty:
I am not an AE/BB expert, but your 11.5's look fine to my eye. For what it is worth, I haven't really noticed any stretching or poron setting in my BB strands to make them fit bigger than when they were new (have had them for over a year). If they have, it is subtle.

Last edited:

yanagi

Reaction score
My I ask you one question please?

May I ask you your opinion on a shoe company which AE shoes are better than?

Is anyone here actually claiming that AEs are better than Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, much less Edward Green or John Lobb? I don't think so, and I don't think you can quote anyone saying that either.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Is there a competition going on? I've been posting on this thread for more than a year and haven't seen anyone mentioned "AE shoes are the best."

CMT1

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds BOOM
Ne plus ultra best shoe yo
Pinnacle of all

:worship2: :worship2: :worship2:

Last edited:

lemmy127

Reaction score

Is there a competition going on? I've been posting on this thread for more than a year and haven't seen anyone mentioned "AE shoes are the best."

Maybe if it was followed up with "bang for your buck". Because no one can hold a candle to AE in that regard. If Meermin's customer service wasn't god awful and if they had retailers in the US so there was less of a guessing game on sizing, they could maybe challenge them.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I feel their shoes are alright but it gets on my nerves when people talk like these shoes are the best quality when in fact they are entry level/basic shoes.

Please find a post where someone has mentioned that Allen Edmonds are the "best quality" in comparison to all of the other brands mentioned on these forums.

I'll wait.

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got a nice fat gift card to AE for christmas. Who wants to decide what I buy? Here is what I currently have:

Park - Black
Park - Brown
Larchmont like shortwing - Walnut (can't remember which model, discontinued)
Delray - Walnut
Mora 2.0 - Burnished Brown

I would like something that can be work with a suit but also with trousers/coat.

What say you?!?

Any other opinions besides McAllister in Merlot?

Is there an AE rep on SF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads